Tulane among a number of schools filing to join the imploding PAC-12

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
anEngineer
Riptide

When it really matters, neither the PAC nor the Big 12 nor Troy Dannen nor President Fitts is going to give a damn about what some 20-year-old "opinion writer" for The Hullabaloo thinks we should do. This discussion is irrelevant but it has consumed this thread and, as usual, is now all about personal insults.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:49 pm You even said it wasn't about what Steve wrote, your problem was that he posted it on a "massive social media site". The Hullabaloo writer did the same. And his OPINION is potentially much more damaging to the long term goals of Tulane athletics than what Steve posted. You've got coaches, players, staff and fans all working towards improving the perception of Tulane, and this KID comes along and undermines that.

Its social media. It won't matter to people reading that it was an opinion piece. All they'll see is a school sanctioned paper saying the AD isn't in favor of the school moving to P5 status. People constantly post "opinion" pieces on social media as fact trying to support their viewpoints, and most people never SEE that its just an opinion. They take it as fact. This is CLEARLY damaging to the perception of Tulane that we all work towards, and could cost the university hundreds of millions over the years.
What you are missing is that TD put this out there in January after the Cotton Bowl win. He repeated it in other interviews and podcast. Thus it was much discussed back then. This isn't an unconfirmed rumor. TD said what he said multiple times and it's old news. This is just a student saying he agrees with the AD.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

This thread is getting just like a “CVS” receipt! Long and useless! Enough already! Ridiculous!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Win, seems you're all hooked up by the word "rumor". Maybe Steve should have written it as "there are unconfirmed sources saying" Tjyae is missing his ACL. Would that have made you feel better? I mean, "unconfirmed sources" is the hallmark of legacy media now, so that should be clearly acceptable to you.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He called it what it was- an unconfirmed rumor. At that point in time we only knew of this thru Jax's post As I said above Jax doesn't have the cred here to come on and people take what he says as gospel. At this point though you are the only one stuck on this. Everyone else is ready to get back to touting Tyjae and his accomplishments and hopefully his future accomplishments.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Actually, I never was hooked up with what Steve posted. I'm more focused on your hypocrisy in thinking this Hullabaloo article hitting Twitter doesn't have the capability of being damaging to the University. You just blow it off as nothing, yet its very similar to what Steve did, although I personally think Steve's was less damaging. Not sure who made you the arbiter on this site of who's got credibility and who doesn't, either.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bigschtick
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:11 pm When it really matters, neither the PAC nor the Big 12 nor Troy Dannen nor President Fitts is going to give a damn about what some 20-year-old "opinion writer" for The Hullabaloo thinks we should do. This discussion is irrelevant but it has consumed this thread and, as usual, is now all about personal insults.
Exactly!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
MicMan
Swell

LOL
Greeniegb
Swell

Bigschtick wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:59 pm
anEngineer wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:11 pm When it really matters, neither the PAC nor the Big 12 nor Troy Dannen nor President Fitts is going to give a damn about what some 20-year-old "opinion writer" for The Hullabaloo thinks we should do. This discussion is irrelevant but it has consumed this thread and, as usual, is now all about personal insults.
Exactly!
If you really believe that I have a bridge to sell you. Maybe what's happening in Colorado Sanders would not care, but from a University standpoint Fitts would not support anything that negatively effects student athletes and he will have final say over any conference change, Money wise and how it effects the University both in athletics and academics. For the reasons the Pac 12 is dead as a choice for Tulane Athletics, Pac 12 is too big a risk to take a chance on losing millions that Tulane does not have. If it was stable maybe.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:12 pm Actually, I never was hooked up with what Steve posted. I'm more focused on your hypocrisy in thinking this Hullabaloo article hitting Twitter doesn't have the capability of being damaging to the University. You just blow it off as nothing, yet its very similar to what Steve did, although I personally think Steve's was less damaging. Not sure who made you the arbiter on this site of who's got credibility and who doesn't, either.
I'm not being hypocritical. What was done with the Hullaballoo is old news., It's been out there since January and already discussed. It's not a rumor. TD said what he said very publicly and did so many times. The student is just repeating it. What Steve did was put something out there on draft day when Tyjae was expected to be picked. Timing is everything. It was just something you don'r do to one of your own. As to the student he's just repeating something that was said publicly months before. But again your hatred for me blinds you to the major difference., Even others have said no one cares what a student writer says. As to jax you can't seriously say that he's done anything on this site to show he has unimpeachable sources. . You've bored everyone. Just take it the pm route and let everyone get back to praising Tyjae.
Last edited by winwave on Sun May 07, 2023 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:23 pm
Money wise and how it effects the University both in athletics and academics. For the reasons the Pac 12 is dead as a choice for Tulane Athletics, Pac 12 is too big a risk to take a chance on losing millions that Tulane does not have. If it was stable maybe.
What money are you talking about? The AAC contract, net of operating costs, is chump change compared to what the PAC would offer even if the PAC's next deal does not increase the money from their last TV deal. The academics of the universities in the PAC make the new C-USAAC look like Community Colleges. Tulane could join the PAC and it could blow up in 5 years and we'd still be a whole lot better off than had we stayed in the cesspool of a conference the AAC has become.

I've questioned if Tulane aspires to be in a "Power" conference for years. I really don't think the commitment is there. But not for the very short-sighted and innacurate reasons you come up with. The PAC very well might not make it to 2040, but if it blows up NO team from the C-USAAC will be close to the top of the list to join the remaining 4 Pees. If it blows up when we're in it, we're 100000000% better off. If it blows up when we're toiling in C-USAAC, we're kissing our chances of being in a PEE goodbye, which I truly believe if more than ok with Fitts and the BOA.
Last edited by DfromCT on Sun May 07, 2023 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

Greeniegb wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:53 pm Hey dudes while the PAC 12 could be a dying Conference, the Big 12 is looking to be aggressive even going International and heading South that may bode well for looking more strongly at us for expansion. Maybe we should wait a little longer because if the Big 12 goes into Mexico for games we may be their next move!!! They will pass up any appeal by the Pac 12.

Big 12 eyeing multi-year agreement for football, basketball games in Mexico as soon as 2024
Inspired by international success of the NFL, NBA and MLB, the Big 12 aims to play games across the border

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... n-as-2024/
That wreaks desperation on their part. Why would any school want to send their teams overseas?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The money the PAC-12 will receive on a new deal will pale to the deal the SEC recently signed. But I’d still take a move to the PAC-12.
The SEC signed a deal with ESPN that will pay the conference $811 million per year for 10 years before Texas and OU signed on. According to The Athletic, an expansion clause in the deal could raise the value of the contract to $927 million per year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

I doubt TD or Fitts have zero interest in moving to the PAC-12, otherwise the school wouldn't be having a conversation with the conference and rumors wouldn't be out there. I'm pretty sure both guys are pushing privately to try to get a PAC-12 or BIG-12 invite, otherwise these stories of Tulane and the PAC-12 wouldn't exist.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:54 am The money the PAC-12 will receive on a new deal will pale to the deal the SEC recently signed. But I’d still take a move to the PAC-12.
The SEC signed a deal with ESPN that will pay the conference $811 million per year for 10 years before Texas and OU signed on. According to The Athletic, an expansion clause in the deal could raise the value of the contract to $927 million per year.
Agreed, 7 million a year with the AACCUSA or 32 million a year with the PAC 12, I think we should take the 32 million? 🤔
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:23 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:59 pm
Exactly!
If you really believe that I have a bridge to sell you. Maybe what's happening in Colorado Sanders would not care, but from a University standpoint Fitts would not support anything that negatively effects student athletes and he will have final say over any conference change, Money wise and how it effects the University both in athletics and academics. For the reasons the Pac 12 is dead as a choice for Tulane Athletics, Pac 12 is too big a risk to take a chance on losing millions that Tulane does not have. If it was stable maybe.
gb, I can guarantee you the only path for Tulane to get into the Big 12 is through the PAC. And that is assuming that the PAC can't stabilize and falls apart in a few years, in which case we would then have a much better chance of getting a Big 12 invite in the resulting realignment. From the AACUSA, we have zero chance of a Big 12 invite--now or in the future. On the other hand, if the PAC can stabilize we may find it to be a better conference to stay in long term--with or without a Big 12 invite.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:18 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:49 pm You even said it wasn't about what Steve wrote, your problem was that he posted it on a "massive social media site". The Hullabaloo writer did the same. And his OPINION is potentially much more damaging to the long term goals of Tulane athletics than what Steve posted. You've got coaches, players, staff and fans all working towards improving the perception of Tulane, and this KID comes along and undermines that.

Its social media. It won't matter to people reading that it was an opinion piece. All they'll see is a school sanctioned paper saying the AD isn't in favor of the school moving to P5 status. People constantly post "opinion" pieces on social media as fact trying to support their viewpoints, and most people never SEE that its just an opinion. They take it as fact. This is CLEARLY damaging to the perception of Tulane that we all work towards, and could cost the university hundreds of millions over the years.
What you are missing is that TD put this out there in January after the Cotton Bowl win. He repeated it in other interviews and podcast. Thus it was much discussed back then. This isn't an unconfirmed rumor. TD said what he said multiple times and it's old news. This is just a student saying he agrees with the AD.
And that's why there is every reason to question just how hard TD, or Fitts, are trying to promote Tulane's case for a PAC or Big 12 invite.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:28 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:54 am The money the PAC-12 will receive on a new deal will pale to the deal the SEC recently signed. But I’d still take a move to the PAC-12.
Agreed, 7 million a year with the AACCUSA or 32 million a year with the PAC 12, I think we should take the 32 million? 🤔
Yep
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tufinal4
High Tide

I cringe at even having to present these arguments. As a PAC 12 member, you're talking about 4 OOC games, 4 home games. That leaves 4 road games, not all on the west coast (SMU, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona St). In basketball, same principle, with the ability to bunch road games into single trips. Same principle in other sports.

Southern Cal & UCLA are getting ready to "put their student athletes through this" without batting an eye.

In the AAC, we have teams in Philly, Wichita, Greenville NC, Tulsa. Our teams fly around, our fans mostly don't go.

The difference is, the PAC 12 offers 4 times the money, to transform our program. Anyone think fan interest in Stanford, Arizona, Oregon & Washington won't skyrocket as opposed to North Texas, UTSA, UAB, Charlotte? Who are you trying to kid.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tufinal4 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:43 am I cringe at even having to present these arguments. As a PAC 12 member, you're talking about 4 OOC games, 4 home games. That leaves 4 road games, not all on the west coast (SMU, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona St). In basketball, same principle, with the ability to bunch road games into single trips. Same principle in other sports.

Southern Cal & UCLA are getting ready to "put their student athletes through this" without batting an eye.

In the AAC, we have teams in Philly, Wichita, Greenville NC, Tulsa. Our teams fly around, our fans mostly don't go.

The difference is, the PAC 12 offers 4 times the money, to transform our program. Anyone think fan interest in Stanford, Arizona, Oregon & Washington won't skyrocket as opposed to North Texas, UTSA, UAB, Charlotte? Who are you trying to kid.
Amen. And UCF doesn't seem to have any trouble with regular travel to the Great Plains, much less going to Provo--or other points west if Big 12 Commish Yormark gets his way.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Sun May 07, 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:47 am
tufinal4 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:43 am I cringe at even having to present these arguments. As a PAC 12 member, you're talking about 4 OOC games, 4 home games. That leaves 4 road games, not all on the west coast (SMU, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona St). In basketball, same principle, with the ability to bunch road games into single trips. Same principle in other sports.

Amen. And UCF doesn't seem to have any trouble with regular travel to the Great Plains, much going to Provo--or other points west if Big 12 Commish Yormark gets his way.
And, beginning in 2024, USC/UCLA will be in the same conference with Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey? 🤷🏻‍♂️

We need to accept the way things are at present for college football - TV runs the show. Remember back at the beginning of the BCS era in ‘98, we were 12-0 & ranked No. 7 in the final AP poll, and what did Cowen do? Rather than trying like Hell to get on the BCS boat, Cowen attempted instead to capsize the BCS boat with a crazy ass antitrust suit. And, where did that get us? - stuck in CUSA for years.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:24 am

Amen. And UCF doesn't seem to have any trouble with regular travel to the Great Plains, much going to Provo--or other points west if Big 12 Commish Yormark gets his way.
And, beginning in 2024, USC/UCLA will be in the same conference with Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey? 🤷🏻‍♂️

We need to accept the way things are at present for college football - TV runs the show. Remember back at the beginning of the BCS era in ‘98, we were 12-0 & ranked No. 7 in the final AP poll, and what did Cowen do? Rather than trying like Hell to get on the BCS boat, Cowen attempted instead to capsize the BCS boat with a crazy ass antitrust suit. And, where did that get us? - stuck in CUSA for years.
Cowen's priority was always about getting attention for himself. Much easier to get that attention trying to overthrow the BCS than getting in the BCS. It was also cheaper to challenge the BCS than make the needed investments to get Tulane into the BCS.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

USC and UCLA will be traveling to Maryland in addition to Rutgers.
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:40 am

Cowen's priority was always about getting attention for himself. Much easier to get that attention trying to overthrow the BCS than getting in the BCS. It was also cheaper to challenge the BCS than make the needed investments to get Tulane into the BCS.
Yep, and TCU during the same time period took the different approach and look where they are today?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:47 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:40 am

Yep, and TCU during the same time period took the different approach and look where they are today?
Exactly. Proving that their leadership was smarter than ours.