Cook - Portal

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jalen Cook has entered the portal:

Hunter needs to get a couple of PG's. We never had a back up this season which was an issue with Cook's injury issues.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:10 pm Jalen Cook has entered the portal:

Hunter needs to get a couple of PG's. We never had a back up this season which was an issue with Cook's injury issues.
I guess he must have received his Tulane degree and is transferring as a grad student since he already transferred once from LSU
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Wow.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

More to come I’m sure.
Just look at this years Final 4 and it makes for an interesting post season. No reason Tulane can’t get there one day.
FAU SDSU MIA UCONN amazing
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:02 pm More to come I’m sure.
Just look at this years Final 4 and it makes for an interesting post season. No reason Tulane can’t get there one day.
UCONN has been to the Final 4 six times, been in the NCAA's 33 times...have been a number 1 seed several times, so this is not rarified air for them
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:22 pm
UCONN has been to the Final 4 six times, been in the NCAA's 33 times...have been a number 1 seed several times, so this is not rarified air for them
Right. But seeded wise none of them were expected to make it to Dallas
No. 5 seed San Diego State (newbie)
No. 9 Florida Atlantic (newbie)
No. 5 Miami (also a Final Four newbie)
No. 4 UConn
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:40 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:22 pm
Right. But seeded wise none of them were expected to make it to Dallas
No. 5 seed San Diego State (newbie)
No. 9 Florida Atlantic (newbie)
No. 5 Miami (also a Final Four newbie)
No. 4 UConn
TIM... I agree for the most part,,,I thought Miami was seeded too low, I looked at them as a 3 seed...but 4's and 5's advancing is not shocking...FAU advancing to the Final's, is a definite and pleasant surprise.... best to all of them....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Won't Cook have to sit out a year?

UConn is a bit of a surprise in that Danny Hurley had never won an NCAA tournament game before this season. He's got the Huskies playing great ball, as they were at the start of the season when they crushed Alabama. They were #2 before a tough stretch in Big East play.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:38 pm Won't Cook have to sit out a year?

UConn is a bit of a surprise in that Danny Hurley had never won an NCAA tournament game before this season. He's got the Huskies playing great ball, as they were at the start of the season when they crushed Alabama. They were #2 before a tough stretch in Big East play.
I think that once you get a degree, if you still have eligibility left, you can transfer without penalty. You are consider a graduate student and have no obligation to your undergrad school.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:58 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:38 pm Won't Cook have to sit out a year?

I think that once you get a degree, if you still have eligibility left, you can transfer without penalty. You are consider a graduate student and have no obligation to your undergrad school.
Good for him if he's graduated. Wish him the best. I thought he came to Tulane as a Sophomore.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This was his 3rd year in college. He have graduated which would allow the transfer without sitting out. If not he still may not have to sit out. IIRC the transfer without sitting out was initially a temporary rule around COVID. He transferred then. The rule then got made permanent and as stupid as it would seem that my allow him to do it again without sitting out.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Tulane1111
High Tide

Big loss, could score in bunches.

Seemed to thrive with the chemistry the team
had on the court this year, needs to find a Coach that allows him to shift to the swing guard position for parts of the game like he was used here. Seemed to really open up his scoring.
Show Me
Tsunami

Nice player. Unfortunately injury prone. He had trouble against athletic and bigger guards. I wish him well enjoyed his style. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him back at LSU.
sslatten
Low Tide

He hasn't graduated so will have to sit out a year, unless TU grants him a waiver.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If that's the case they likely will knowing if they don't it would hurt them when they seek transfers in the future. I also believe he can seek a waiver from the NCAA which for a good while now has been very generous with granting waivers.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Cook is a tremendous talent. I don't know that his game will ever translate to the NBA, but he has serious scoring skills. On the flip side, there were times when the ball went to him and ball movement ceased. He also, as I've stated numerous times, has a ridiculous number of his shots blocked, I really believe if that stat was kept, he'd be among the leaders (in a bad way!)

He's a player that's fun to watch. I just hope he doesn't stay in the AAC. Wouldn't it be a kick in the teeth of Hunter if he went to play for the Houston Cougars in the Big 12?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sslatten wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:15 pm He hasn't graduated so will have to sit out a year, unless TU grants him a waiver.
Thx for the info SS!
That maybe more troubling for him wanting to leave without a degree. I’m sure it wasn’t from lack of playing time or exposure. Maybe he just wants to play against better competition. :o
Or might be him thinking he can get paid nicely (NIL) at a different school. Need to see where he lands I guess.
Tulane Class of 1981
sslatten
Low Tide

It's all about the Benjamins. Good riddance!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sslatten wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:25 pm It's all about the Benjamins. Good riddance!
Ok going to the highest bidder. 😡😡😡
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

But then again may not be so easy.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

He must be tired of post-game pizzas.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:41 pm Nice player. Unfortunately injury prone. He had trouble against athletic and bigger guards. I wish him well enjoyed his style. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him back at LSU.
LSU is the only school he can go to without a waiver preventing him from sitting out a year.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:02 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:41 pm Nice player. Unfortunately injury prone. He had trouble against athletic and bigger guards. I wish him well enjoyed his style. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him back at LSU.
LSU is the only school he can go to without a wavier preventing him sitting out a year.
Yes that’s why I think he’s going there. Plus he’ll get full credit for his earlier LSU classes. He’ll probably not have to attend class either.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:04 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:02 pm
LSU is the only school he can go to without a wavier preventing him sitting out a year.
Yes that’s why I think he’s going there. Plus he’ll get full credit for his earlier LSU classes. He’ll probably not have to attend class either.
You mean there's a rule that allows players to transfer back to the school they started at and not sit? Hmm, seems like an odd exception.

Does he have to sit if Hunter gives him a release? I wouldn't be surprised if a few schools whispered in his ears (including LSU) about NIL money.