Memphis WBB NIT handshake turns ugly

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
Post Reply
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 26897
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

BG girl gets decked in post game handshake line.


Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2862
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Let me reiterate, I don't think any P5s are in a hurry to scoop up Memphis. Academically and socially, it does not improve any conference. They are a step above Marshall, but not by much. At least the altercation with the men's team was internal to their bench.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14351
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:34 am Let me reiterate, I don't think any P5s are in a hurry to scoop up Memphis. Academically and socially, it does not improve any conference. They are a step above Marshall, but not by much. At least the altercation with the men's team was internal to their bench.
Prop 48U is alive and well....sue the Player and Memphis State for assualt, and may it be for many millions.... after all, the players are employees, and companies are responsible for their conduct during "business hours"..cause of action shall include...PTSD...Pre-PTSD...Post-PTSD...Fear of PTSD....fear of personal contact.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2862
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Let's not forget that Memphis St and Dana Kirk were at the heart of the point shaving scandal that led to the Hot Rod Williams revelations and the suspension of our program. The are little more than the Memphis Municipal Athletic Club disguised as a school so they can compete in the NCAA.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13126
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:50 am Let's not forget that Memphis St and Dana Kirk were at the heart of the point shaving scandal that led to the Hot Rod Williams revelations and the suspension of our program. The are little more than the Memphis Municipal Athletic Club disguised as a school so they can compete in the NCAA.
Wait a minute, Dana Kirk and Memphis had ANYTHING to do with our point shaving scandal? I was a senior in 1985, Hot Rod was in a few of my classes. I think I followed Tulane basketball as close as anyone not on the team, closer than the few reporters that covered them at the time. I continued to follow the story closely that spring and for years after. This is the first time I've ever heard of Memphis State being BLAMED. One of the games the players took money to fix was a game against Memphis State. Never have I heard Dana Kirk or the Memphis team had anything to do with it other than being the opponent. Harry Connick never accused any player or coach from Memphis of anything to my knowledge.

I think Memphis is a scummy school. The poster who said earlier in the thread that they're just a step above Marshall I think nailed it. But you cannot pin the point-shaving scandal on them from any perspective for the coincidental fact that they were an opponent in one of the games that Tulane players took money to fix.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Memphis wasn't a fault for our point shaving. They were though subject to accusations of fixing games themselves that season. In their game against us here they kept leaving Clyde Eads wide open from the spot where everyone knew he liked to shoot from on the left wing. Eads would either pass it which drew groans from the crowd or put up a poor attempt.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14351
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:49 pm Memphis wasn't a fault for our point shaving. They were though subject to accusations of fixing games themselves that season. In their game against us here they kept leaving Clyde Eads wide open from the spot where everyone knew he liked to shoot from on the left wing. Eads would either pass it which drew groans from the crowd or put up a poor attempt.
wasn't Keith Lee, the Memphis State's big name for those games
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:56 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:49 pm Memphis wasn't a fault for our point shaving. They were though subject to accusations of fixing games themselves that season. In their game against us here they kept leaving Clyde Eads wide open from the spot where everyone knew he liked to shoot from on the left wing. Eads would either pass it which drew groans from the crowd or put up a poor attempt.
wasn't Keith Lee, the Memphis State's big name for those games
Yes and Hot Rod was better than him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2862
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Memphis was being investigated because of suspicions in a couple of games. One against Detroit was one that I remember. I seem to recall that there were allegations about connections Dana Kirk had with some Las Vegas bookies. Regardless, the point is that because Memphis was being investigated for point shaving, lots of questions were being asked about all of their opponents. As a result, it was discovered that Williams was given money by a donor. It was totally unrelated, but discovered because of association with Memphis.
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2862
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:56 pm wasn't Keith Lee, the Memphis State's big name for those games
During his senior season, there was a post game interview with Lee where the announcer asked him about graduating with his degree in Physical Education, to which Lee replied, "No, man, it's in PE."
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 26897
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:09 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:56 pm wasn't Keith Lee, the Memphis State's big name for those games
During his senior season, there was a post game interview with Lee where the announcer asked him about graduating with his degree in Physical Education, to which Lee replied, "No, man, it's in PE."
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 26897
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Penny goes off
WARNING NOT FOR WORK BAD LANGUAGE
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Green Wave
Posts: 7529
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:49 pm Memphis wasn't a fault for our point shaving. They were though subject to accusations of fixing games themselves that season. In their game against us here they kept leaving Clyde Eads wide open from the spot where everyone knew he liked to shoot from on the left wing. Eads would either pass it which drew groans from the crowd or put up a poor attempt.
Was that the home game that we won with Moreau's (sp) last second jumper? Even though we won the game, I remember telling my brother that it looked like we were shaving points late in the game, as we didn't cover the point spread.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Green Wave
Posts: 7529
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Both videos are prime examples of what Memphis is. I'd be shocked if any P5 takes them in our lifetimes. Calling them out as the Memphis Municipal Athletic Club is spot on.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 26897
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:36 pm Both videos are prime examples of what Memphis is. I'd be shocked if any P5 takes them in our lifetimes. Calling them out as the Memphis Municipal Athletic Club is spot on.
Yep
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13126
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm Memphis was being investigated because of suspicions in a couple of games. One against Detroit was one that I remember. I seem to recall that there were allegations about connections Dana Kirk had with some Las Vegas bookies. Regardless, the point is that because Memphis was being investigated for point shaving, lots of questions were being asked about all of their opponents. As a result, it was discovered that Williams was given money by a donor. It was totally unrelated, but discovered because of association with Memphis.
It was during the internal Tulane investigation after Hot Rod appeared on TV wearing handcuffs saying "I have to much at stock" that it was discovered Tom Green gave Hot Rod shoeboxes full of cash. It wasn't related to the Memphis investigation at all. It was unrelated to the cocaine purchase that Eads made that started the whole scheme.

Funny nobody caught on to the fact that Hot Rod was getting paid sooner. I remember my first day of classes reading a Hullabaloo article about this great recruit we had from Sorrento La. It talked about his mom working 3 jobs to make ends meet and keep replacing the growing Hot Rod's sneakers. Then I got Monroe and Hot Rod was washing a nice new-looking Olds Cutlass with a front license plate custom made "Hot Rod" in sparkling script.

As far as the investigation goes, there was a game that the three stooges (Krantz, Rosenthal and Olensky if memory serves) bet too much money on, and Olensky was betting with a bookie that was a convicted fellon and under investigation. There was a game I was at on a Saturday afternoon when we played (I think) VaTech and had a big lead. Fowler put in the scrubs and Tech cut the lead to about 10. With less than 5 seconds left we were covering the spread and I believe it was Augburns that threw the inbounds pass to nobody that a Tech player grabbed between the top of the key and half court and went uncontested for a slam to beat the spread as the buzzer expired. Students next to me were yelling "fix". I laughed it off but thought about it a lot later that day when I learned about that basket beating the spread.

Although I admit I'd forgotten about Memphis being investigated that year, I still say that investigation had nothing to do with the Tulane one, and Hot Rod's payments came to light after he'd been arrested.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 26897
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Hot Rod’s family's trailer burned down and they were homeless. Then a shoebox suddenly appeared only because the NCAA refused to let Tulane assist in this matter. A big donor dropped a dime on the family to keep them from living on the streets. The money happened after he was at Tulane. Had nothing to do with his recruitment.
The point shaving is another matter.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2862
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Getting back to the incident that initiated this thread, the fact that the incident happened after the game was over apparently made it a clear assault and it's being treated as such by authorities.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 26897
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:31 pm Getting back to the incident that initiated this thread, the fact that the incident happened after the game was over apparently made it a clear assault and it's being treated as such by authorities.
Wow
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:47 pm
anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm Memphis was being investigated because of suspicions in a couple of games. One against Detroit was one that I remember. I seem to recall that there were allegations about connections Dana Kirk had with some Las Vegas bookies. Regardless, the point is that because Memphis was being investigated for point shaving, lots of questions were being asked about all of their opponents. As a result, it was discovered that Williams was given money by a donor. It was totally unrelated, but discovered because of association with Memphis.
It was during the internal Tulane investigation after Hot Rod appeared on TV wearing handcuffs saying "I have to much at stock" that it was discovered Tom Green gave Hot Rod shoeboxes full of cash. It wasn't related to the Memphis investigation at all. It was unrelated to the cocaine purchase that Eads made that started the whole scheme.

Funny nobody caught on to the fact that Hot Rod was getting paid sooner. I remember my first day of classes reading a Hullabaloo article about this great recruit we had from Sorrento La. It talked about his mom working 3 jobs to make ends meet and keep replacing the growing Hot Rod's sneakers. Then I got Monroe and Hot Rod was washing a nice new-looking Olds Cutlass with a front license plate custom made "Hot Rod" in sparkling script.

As far as the investigation goes, there was a game that the three stooges (Krantz, Rosenthal and Olensky if memory serves) bet too much money on, and Olensky was betting with a bookie that was a convicted fellon and under investigation. There was a game I was at on a Saturday afternoon when we played (I think) VaTech and had a big lead. Fowler put in the scrubs and Tech cut the lead to about 10. With less than 5 seconds left we were covering the spread and I believe it was Augburns that threw the inbounds pass to nobody that a Tech player grabbed between the top of the key and half court and went uncontested for a slam to beat the spread as the buzzer expired. Students next to me were yelling "fix". I laughed it off but thought about it a lot later that day when I learned about that basket beating the spread.

Although I admit I'd forgotten about Memphis being investigated that year, I still say that investigation had nothing to do with the Tulane one, and Hot Rod's payments came to light after he'd been arrested.
Those scrubs included Thompson. He was a gambling degenerate. He made a few plays like that. Fowler had promised he would always recruit one local every year. He also made it a point to give them playing time deserved or not. No good deed goes unpunished.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

tpstulane wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:36 pm Hot Rod’s family's trailer burned down and they were homeless. Then a shoebox suddenly appeared only because the NCAA refused to let Tulane assist in this matter. A big donor dropped a dime on the family to keep them from living on the streets. The money happened after he was at Tulane. Had nothing to do with his recruitment.
The point shaving is another matter.
Yep.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:34 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:49 pm Memphis wasn't a fault for our point shaving. They were though subject to accusations of fixing games themselves that season. In their game against us here they kept leaving Clyde Eads wide open from the spot where everyone knew he liked to shoot from on the left wing. Eads would either pass it which drew groans from the crowd or put up a poor attempt.
Was that the home game that we won with Moreau's (sp) last second jumper? Even though we won the game, I remember telling my brother that it looked like we were shaving points late in the game, as we didn't cover the point spread.
Moreau graduated a couple of years before that.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14351
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Post Reply