Tulane Wins the Columbia Series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5097
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:02 am
Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:05 am
winwave wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:49 am As to Columbia they beat a ranked bama team 2 out of 3 last weekend. Like all Ivy's they don't give athletic scholarships but that's just symbolic. Like the other Ivy's their athletes don't pay tuition. The endowments are such that they don't have too. My oldest went to an Ivy and we never had to spend a penny on tuition. Not saying they have a great team but they do have a decent club.
They made 5 errors yesterday. Alabama was ranked early because the SEC bias they won’t be once SEC play is over. . I’m glad for the win but let’s not pretend here. No excuses. We need to win today.
They made 4 errors. Everybody has an off game. Uhlman is doing a horrible job. No one has to make things up to try and get rid of him. We want him gone. If we had won 2 of 3 at Bama people here would be talking Omaha. We do need to win today. Duh.
Ok. I was at the game last night and the scoreboard had 5 up. They must have gone back and changed it.


User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5097
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:03 am
Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:38 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:23 am

You're right, Columbia baseball has much more recent success, having been to the NCAA tournament 8 times since 2008. Columbia won NCAA tournament games three years in a row in the late 2010's, something few programs can claim. And everyone thinks about Princeton Basketball because of a coach that's had 4 guys in the job since he retired in 1995.
This year. So if we lose this series it’s because Columbia is good :roll:
What was given were examples of non-scholarship Ivy league programs performing at or above the level of some non-Ivy D1 schools with a full allotment of scholarships.

Whatever words you want to put into my mouth that works for you, have at it.
Happens yes. But to compare what Princeton basketball is doing now vs Columbia baseball is disingenuous.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13039
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:28 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:03 am
Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:38 am
This year. So if we lose this series it’s because Columbia is good :roll:
What was given were examples of non-scholarship Ivy league programs performing at or above the level of some non-Ivy D1 schools with a full allotment of scholarships.

Whatever words you want to put into my mouth that works for you, have at it.
Happens yes. But to compare what Princeton basketball is doing now vs Columbia baseball is disingenuous.
If you say so, again, whatever works for you. Columbia baseball seems to be the more accomplished of the two, but the records don't matter to you. If it's a bad comparison, so be it, I've made worse analogies in my life.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5097
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:08 am
Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:28 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:03 am

What was given were examples of non-scholarship Ivy league programs performing at or above the level of some non-Ivy D1 schools with a full allotment of scholarships.

Whatever words you want to put into my mouth that works for you, have at it.
Happens yes. But to compare what Princeton basketball is doing now vs Columbia baseball is disingenuous.
If you say so, again, whatever works for you. Columbia baseball seems to be the more accomplished of the two, but the records don't matter to you. If it's a bad comparison, so be it, I've made worse analogies in my life.
Sweet 16 is equivalent to a Super Regional in baseball. Columbia has never been to a SR. End of story.
greenie78
Riptide
Posts: 2585
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

That was the cleanest game played all year with limited strikeouts, errors, and walks.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13039
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:12 am Sweet 16 is equivalent to a Super Regional in baseball. Columbia has never been to a SR. End of story.
You are so right. Winning two games in the basketball tournament trumps going to the baseball tournament 8 times in 14 years, winning at least one game three years in a row, something accomplished one other time in Ivy League history. It was a terrible analogy. So it goes. You win.

I think you've been so snarky about this because I called your NY Yankees analogy off base in the other thread. Frankly, I think you brought the Yankees up because I live in CT, but you fail to realize I'm a lifelong Mets fan. But it doesn't change the fact that you compared controlling results on the field of play where you have 85 amateurs aged 18-23 versus 24 professionals aged 22-40 making millions of dollars. And even then it's a lousy analogy because the Yankees clearly don't control what happens on the field (which was the point you were arguing, if you forgot) So you argued that the Yankees control what takes place on the field when they clearly do not (or else they would have more than 27 WS championships.) Besides being a horrible analogy crossing sports and amateurs to professionals, you made my point for me in that thread. Much as you have by continuing to argue something I'm not even arguing with you about in this one. Happy Sunday.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5097
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:45 am
Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:12 am Sweet 16 is equivalent to a Super Regional in baseball. Columbia has never been to a SR. End of story.
You are so right. Winning two games in the basketball tournament trumps going to the baseball tournament 8 times in 14 years, winning at least one game three years in a row, something accomplished one other time in Ivy League history. It was a terrible analogy. So it goes. You win.

I think you've been so snarky about this because I called your NY Yankees analogy off base in the other thread. Frankly, I think you brought the Yankees up because I live in CT, but you fail to realize I'm a lifelong Mets fan. But it doesn't change the fact that you compared controlling results on the field of play where you have 85 amateurs aged 18-23 versus 24 professionals aged 22-40 making millions of dollars. And even then it's a lousy analogy because the Yankees clearly don't control what happens on the field (which was the point you were arguing, if you forgot) So you argued that the Yankees control what takes place on the field when they clearly do not (or else they would have more than 27 WS championships.) Besides being a horrible analogy crossing sports and amateurs to professionals, you made my point for me in that thread. Much as you have by continuing to argue something I'm not even arguing with you about in this one. Happy Sunday.
This year. Not ancient history. Your comparing a Sweet 16 team this year to a currently 6-8 baseball team about to be 6-9 after today. The only thing comparable is they are both in the Ivy League.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25007
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tulane wins game 3 6-3 to get their first series win of the season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide
Posts: 2585
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

Nice win.

Have a big RPI game at Washington on Tuesday night.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25007
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

greenie78 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:43 pm Nice win.

Have a big RPI game at Washington on Tuesday night.
Actually that game is on Wednesday.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25007
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
BC Wave
Swell
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:40 pm
Status: Offline

No access for me.
Synopsis , s’il vous plait?
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25007
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

First series win and first winning streak.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5097
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Just 10 straight wins from here and we’ll be back at .500 :mrgreen:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14283
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

on to Omaha !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 4997
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Online

Contract extension?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25007
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:34 am Contract extension?
And a raise.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Post Reply