SMU to the ACC/PAC-12 discussions

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:41 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:29 am Its got NOTHING to do with what SMU has spent money on, and EVERYTHING to do with the DFW market. Period. That's the only reason they're ahead of us in the pecking order. Do you think they'd be getting an invite if they were located in Tulsa?
It's been widely perceived that SMU was next in the pecking order for years. They were ignored by the Big 12 because of their history with the rest of the conference and TCU's presence. Why are you jealous of SMU? I don't particularly like them, but you cannot say they haven't done everything possible to get a P5 invite.
They haven't done everything possible to get a P5 invite because they haven't won as much on the field compared to teams who normally leave for a higher conference, especially in football.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:48 am
They haven't done everything possible to get a P5 invite because they haven't won as much on the field compared to teams who normally leave for a higher conference, especially in football.
On the field is mostly out of their control, but since you brought it up, SMU is 15 games better than Tulane since 2010. They're 79-83, we're 64-98. For comparison sake, Cinci is 110-55, UCF is 112-55 (and had an 0-12 when George O'Leary "quiet quit"!) Houston is 104-60.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:37 am
On the field is mostly out of their control, but since you brought it up, SMU is 15 games better than Tulane since 2010. They're 79-83, we're 64-98. For comparison sake, Cinci is 110-55, UCF is 112-55 (and had an 0-12 when George O'Leary "quiet quit"!) Houston is 104-60.
On the field mostly out of their control? On the field is the one thing you CAN control. And piling up lots of wins means nothing if you're not winning conferences and titles. Ask the New York Yankees what all that winning the last 10 years has gotten them.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:27 pm
On the field mostly out of their control? On the field is the one thing you CAN control. And piling up lots of wins means nothing if you're not winning conferences and titles. Ask the New York Yankees what all that winning the last 10 years has gotten them.
Then why don't teams go undefeated? Why could a team with enough talent to win 12 games only win 2 the previous year? There's a lot that takes place on the gridiron that nobody has any control of. Your comment about the Yankees has Zero relevance to what a college administration can or cannot control. Your argument makes no sense. If you were correct, they wouldn't bother playing the games.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:41 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:27 pm

Then why don't teams go undefeated? Why could a team with enough talent to win 12 games only win 2 the previous year? There's a lot that takes place on the gridiron that nobody has any control of. Your comment about the Yankees has Zero relevance to what a college administration can or cannot control. Your argument makes no sense. If you were correct, they wouldn't bother playing the games.
You can control what you do on the field. Why do you think some teams win all the time and some don't? If you win ENOUGH, it overrides anything else. Why do you think Boise St is still in conversations at times? Its the big reason TCU made it to the Big 12. Same with Utah and the PAC12. A lot of winning at the right time. If you give your teams the RESOURCES to win, they can win, and that IS something the administration controls.

As for the NYY comment, its perfectly relevant to the fact that winning a lot doesn't prove anything if you don't win titles. You don't believe me? As any Yankees fan if they're satisfied with the results of the past 10 years.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

You can’t really “control” what you do on the field - you can prepare and put your team in the best position for it to succeed, but that won’t even guarantee a division title.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:12 am
greenie78 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:05 am
DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:37 am

So it's gotten them as many 10-win seasons as we've had, 1 less NY6 game and an apparent invite to the PAC 12.
So they've spent a ton of money for one less conference championship, one less NY6 game, and one less top 10 ranking. Congratulations to them.
They've shown they care about athletics. Something Tulane has not demonstrated. And I think we'd trade all of those short-lived accomplishments for a P5 invite in a heartbeat. It may not work out, the PAC 12 may implode, but SMU is ahead of us on the list despite our one great season in the past 25 years, 2 in my lifetime. Let's win 10 games two years in a row for the first time in our lives. Better yet, let's make it known to the world, as SMU has, that Tulane wants to have something more than an occasionally relevant athletics program. I think we have a shot at back-to-back 10-win seasons, the latter we have no shot at. We continue to be Tulane, with our administrative heads in the sand.

These comments about "what has SMU got for their money" miss the point and tell me we have fans that think like Tulane administration thinks. What SMU has done kept them ahead of Tulane in the pecking order. Tulane has a HUGE albatross to overcome: our record (and public perception) is downright terrible. Football is 200 games under .500 since 1945, perhaps the worst record in D1 over that span. We've sucked at sports for most of our existence. (Sorry if that's too blunt for some of you but it needs to be stated as folks don't seem to realize how much it holds us back.) That isn't easily overcome and this albatross won't be overcome unless we recognize it's existence rather than whistling past the graveyard thinking everything is hunky dory. It's not. We won 12 games and the Cotton Bowl. We've done nothing other than that to show we're committed to winning D1 sports. We're demonstrating one thing: Same old Tulane.
Ridiculous. Everyone wants to still run back the “Same Old Tulane” shtick even coming off a 12 win NY6 bowl win where we kept our head coach. Change the record, this old song isn’t doing it for me anymore.

Flip Tulane and SMU’s physical location and this is a completely different story, full stop. You’re using the SMU (potential) invite to push a pre-existing narrative you have no intention of letting go of.

Tulane has a lot of flaws, but is making large strides— even numbnuts Ed Daniels has conceded that. If you can’t enjoy it I don’t know what to tell you.
greenie78
Riptide

All that is true. but despite being crappy during the Bob Toledo era and early in C.J's tenure as well as struggling in basketball, the school still got an invite to the Big East. The school is in better shape and there's a reason they're being considered by the PAC-12 unlike Rice, Memphis, Boise, Fresno, UNLV, etc.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:25 pm You can’t really “control” what you do on the field - you can prepare and put your team in the best position for it to succeed, but that won’t even guarantee a division title.
THIS
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:38 pm Ridiculous. Everyone wants to still run back the “Same Old Tulane” shtick even coming off a 12 win NY6 bowl win where we kept our head coach. Change the record, this old song isn’t doing it for me anymore.

Flip Tulane and SMU’s physical location and this is a completely different story, full stop. You’re using the SMU (potential) invite to push a pre-existing narrative you have no intention of letting go of.

Tulane has a lot of flaws, but is making large strides— even numbnuts Ed Daniels has conceded that. If you can’t enjoy it I don’t know what to tell you.
So I guess you're firmly in the camp that everything is great, Dannen and Fitts are doing an amazing job?

Is Fritz staying really a sign of change? To me, we got lucky. Tech insisted he do something that was against his character and announce before our CCG. Then they got cold feet. It wasn't due to brilliance from Willow Street or Gibson Hall. BTW: was his contract signed yet?
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:21 pm
OUG wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:38 pm Ridiculous. Everyone wants to still run back the “Same Old Tulane” shtick even coming off a 12 win NY6 bowl win where we kept our head coach. Change the record, this old song isn’t doing it for me anymore.

So I guess you're firmly in the camp that everything is great, Dannen and Fitts are doing an amazing job?
Total strawman. Nobody said that. What we are saying is Tulane’s football season and retaining its coach matters. You’re the one saying it doesn’t matter at all, and I quote, “same old Tulane.”
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:30 pm
Total strawman. Nobody said that. What we are saying is Tulane’s football season and retaining its coach matters. You’re the one saying it doesn’t matter at all, and I quote, “same old Tulane.”
Tell me what's changed?

Sure seems like the crickets from Willow Street and Gibson Hall sound just like they did in 1998 to me. Actually they sound a LOT louder, because our situation is more desperate now than it was then.

We did NOT keep our coach by design. We got lucky. Plain and simple, it had NOTHING to do with what Fitts and Dannen did at the time, that's well documented. And the reason I say the 2022 season is BECOMING meaningless is that they're doing nothing to leverage it and show the sports world Tulane is interested in being a big-time athletics program. The longer we go from 1/2/23 without significant announcements, the more the silence is proving things are unchanged.

The 2022 miracle season happened in spite of Tulane being Tulane. Now we're being Tulane again and nothing is changing. Sorry if the truth hurts.
anEngineer
Riptide

I don't think I understand what you think you have to hear. We have an IPF coming as early as November. The football locker rooms and coaches offices are being rebuilt right now. NO ONE is ever going to negotiate conference realignment issues publicly; why would Tulane? SMU and San Diego St aren't making public statements. We all would love to hear daily updates and proclamations, but that's just not the way it works... for anyone.
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:48 pm
Tell me what's changed?

Sure seems like the crickets from Willow Street and Gibson Hall sound just like they did in 1998 to me. Actually they sound a LOT louder, because our situation is more desperate now than it was then.

We did NOT keep our coach by design. We got lucky. Plain and simple, it had NOTHING to do with what Fitts and Dannen did at the time, that's well documented. And the reason I say the 2022 season is BECOMING meaningless is that they're doing nothing to leverage it and show the sports world Tulane is interested in being a big-time athletics program. The longer we go from 1/2/23 without significant announcements, the more the silence is proving things are unchanged.

The 2022 miracle season happened in spite of Tulane being Tulane. Now we're being Tulane again and nothing is changing. Sorry if the truth hurts.
The miracle season happened because Tulane hired a good coach who finally figured out how to win here. And not sure what crickets you're talking about when Dannen has addressed the construction of an IPF as well as active talks with the PAC-12 as well as Tulane becoming a "G5 destination" for recruits and coaches. The football program is continuing to get positive exposure from this past season.
Bigschtick
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:49 pm I don't think I understand what you think you have to hear. We have an IPF coming as early as November. The football locker rooms and coaches offices are being rebuilt right now. NO ONE is ever going to negotiate conference realignment issues publicly; why would Tulane? SMU and San Diego St aren't making public statements. We all would love to hear daily updates and proclamations, but that's just not the way it works... for anyone.
Well said!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

All we can do is win, improve season tickets, donations and facilities and hope for an opportunity to move up.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:27 am
anEngineer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:49 pm I don't think I understand what you think you have to hear. We have an IPF coming as early as November. The football locker rooms and coaches offices are being rebuilt right now. NO ONE is ever going to negotiate conference realignment issues publicly; why would Tulane? SMU and San Diego St aren't making public statements. We all would love to hear daily updates and proclamations, but that's just not the way it works... for anyone.
Well said!
where is the IPF going to be located ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:46 am where is the IPF going to be located ?
There is a field next to the Diboll lot, in front of Reily center, that has artificial turf on it and students use it to play soccer. Ironically, it's where the Sugar Bowl field used to be.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:05 am
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:46 am where is the IPF going to be located ?
There is a field next to the Diboll lot, in front of Reily center, that has artificial turf on it and students use it to play soccer. Ironically, it's where the Sugar Bowl field used to be.
OK... I am very familiar with it, I grew up in the north end zone, now the Reily center...Yulman was actually the practice field back in the day... I thought the area in front of Reily center was off limits due to intramural play.. I was hoping they had bought Audubaon Place and were building it there... I look forward to "ground breaking".. I hope it happens
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:38 am All we can do is win, improve season tickets, donations and facilities and hope for an opportunity to move up.
Season ticket sales are up--undoubtedly juiced by the Ole Miss game.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:17 am
OK... I am very familiar with it, I grew up in the north end zone, now the Reily center...Yulman was actually the practice field back in the day... I thought the area in front of Reily center was off limits due to intramural play.. I was hoping they had bought Audubaon Place and were building it there... I look forward to "ground breaking".. I hope it happens
I think the IPF balloon will also be used for intramural play. No way it will just sit there unused between practices.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:00 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:17 am

I think the IPF balloon will also be used for intramural play. No way it will just sit there unused between practices.
I wonda why it will take until Novmeber to have it inflated
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:05 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:00 pm I think the IPF balloon will also be used for intramural play. No way it will just sit there unused between practices.
I wonda why it will take until Novmeber to have it inflated
I would hope the students could use it when the athletic dept is not. That's a real win-win for everyone. Students would be able to play during bad weather.

I'm pretty sure there is a foundation and containment structure that needs to be built, It's not just a big spacewalk type thing. I imagine it needs to be custom made to size and electrical specs as well.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:48 pm
Tell me what's changed?

So we can’t win or keep a coach unless we make a commitment, until we win and keep a coach — then it’s just an accident, I guess.

There’s a reason you’re a chorus of one on this.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican