What's next for MBB

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:53 pm We'll see:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/what ... 5324b.html
Sitting home. Congrats to UCF and Cincy for scheduling well and making the NIT
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

From Tulane's perspective, Hunter may still be the best coach we can expect to get. We are disappointed, but we are much better than we've been for the past 20 years. He talks of reflection. Maybe some of that is swallowing his pride and being willing to schedule P5s who aren't willing to play here the following year. Some A10 teams have openly complained that P5s aren't willing to play them at all because of the risk of losing to an "inferior".

When we hired Hunter, I had heard that he had been offered to leave GA St a couple of times and declined. Maybe he hates to move. As for the Tech job, the bar is lower here and Tech probably overestimates their bar level, so this is safer. How strong is his pull to go back to GA and how badly do they want him? TBD

From Tech's perspective, it's a somewhat risky hire as to whether he can coach at that level. I think we are still better having him than risking another hire.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There is no doubt that he has improved the program. He just needs to check his ego. He said last season the assistants went to him and asked to make changes on the offense and he went along with it. He then said they wanted him to change the defense and he said that was not happening. Well it needs to happen and that's to clear to everybody but him. This is where you need a strong AD to step in and be forceful about the changes that need to happen.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:57 pm There is no doubt that he has improved the program. He just needs to check his ego. He said last season the assistants went to him and asked to make changes on the offense and he went along with it. He then said they wanted him to change the defense and he said that was not happening. Well it needs to happen and that's to clear to everybody but him. This is where you need a strong AD to step in and be forceful about the changes that need to happen.
There was no change to the defense, because there isn't any defense to change...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave QB
Swell

I would have liked to see how we fared in the NIT this year. No matter what, I always want our teams to compete in a post season tournament if we miss the NCAA Tournament.

Is the bracket out for The Basketball Classic? Fresno State won it last year with 32 teams in it. It was a decent tournament last year.

CBI Teams:

1 Indiana State, Missouri Valley (22–12)
2 San Jose State, Mountain West (20–13)
3 Charlotte, C-USA, (18–14)
4 Southern Utah, WAC, (22–12)
5 Duquesne, A-10 (20–12)
6 Stetson, ASUN, (17–13)
7 Tarleton, WAC (17–16)
8 Eastern Kentucky, ASUN, (20–13)
9 Cleveland State, Horizon, (21–13)
10 Radford, Big South , (19–14)
11 Milwaukee, Horizon (21–11)
12 Rice C-USA, (18–15)
13 North Alabama, ASUN (18–14)
14 Western Carolina, Southern (18–15)
15 Southern Indiana, Ohio Valley (16–16)
16 USC Upstate, Big South (16–15)

Did we turn the CBI down or something? If we did, then I am ok with it, but there is no way in hell we shouldn’t have gotten an invitation! Hell, we could have won that particular tournament.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hunter said we would never play in those pay to play tournaments.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:01 am Hunter said we would never play in those pay to play tournaments.
I didn’t see a bracket for The Basketball Classic Tournament, so I am assuming it’s not happening this year. I don’t think that tournament was a major financial commitment. (I know the CBI definitely is.)

I get it, but I think we should wait until we are a NCAA Tournament Regular or consistent NIT program before turning our nose up at other Post Season Tournament. Winning one of those tournaments could possibly bring some good momentum into the next season. There is no team in the CBI that I believe we can’t beat.

At the end of it all, I can’t blame coach for wanting to shoot for the stars. I hope he pulls it off next season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We played in those tournaments before and it did nothing for the program.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:18 am We played in those tournaments before and it did nothing for the program.
Yeah. I hear ya.
Ruski
Swell

I've been a Tulane fan since '09

In all my years watching Tulane basketball, we've had exactly the same problem. Doesn't matter the coach, doesn't matter the system.

We've never had a legit inside presence who can get us the tough points inside nor get us critical rebounds.

Solve this and we start to become a legit NCAAT contender.
Show Me
Tsunami

Ruski wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:34 am I've been a Tulane fan since '09

In all my years watching Tulane basketball, we've had exactly the same problem. Doesn't matter the coach, doesn't matter the system.

We've never had a legit inside presence who can get us the tough points inside nor get us critical rebounds.

I agree but Hunter would disagree. He doesn’t believe in “big men” nor rebounding nor scheduling P5’s on the road. IUPUI and Georgia St mentality still.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:31 am
Ruski wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:34 am I've been a Tulane fan since '09

I agree but Hunter would disagree. He doesn’t believe in “big men” nor rebounding nor scheduling P5’s on the road. IUPUI and Georgia St mentality still.
Just a better schedule and we get at least an NIT. I’ve been preaching all year about our weak schedule which has led to a weak NET (105) therefore it wasn’t any surprise to me that we got left home. Hopefully this lesson is learned for scheduling better next season. Baseball is bad this season but the schedule had at least been set up for a high RPI with any decent results. Oh well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

It's all about Coach Hunter swallowing his pride to schedule quality teams who are not willing to play at our place the following year. Hopefully, we get an upgrade to our conference situation that will make the whole thing moot.
Ruski
Swell

If we had a couple legit centers, we don't lose all those terrible games like Tulsa and Western Kentucky! Need some kind of a plan b if the 3 pointers aren't falling on a given night.
DrBox
Riptide

We need a deeper rotation than 7 players.

I don't know what to say about the net.
The men are 20-11, 6-5 v Q1/2 and are 105 NET.
The women are 17-13, 1-11!! v. Q1/2 and are 93 NET.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:13 pm We need a deeper rotation than 7 players.

I don't know what to say about the net.
The men are 20-11, 6-5 v Q1/2 and are 105 NET.
The women are 17-13, 1-11!! v. Q1/2 and are 93 NET.
UCF had a marginally better NET rating, marginally worse RPI and finished FOUR games behind Tulane in the AAC standings. And oh yeah, we beat them head to head. They're playing in the NIT, we're not. Think somebody doesn't like Hunter?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Greeniegb
Swell

Rajun Cajuns take Tennessee to the wire, end the season 26-8 led by 6'11" center Jordan, 19 points per game average 714 career rebounds!!!

https://crescentcitysports.com/ragin-ca ... ournament/