SMU to the ACC/PAC-12 discussions

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:44 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:20 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:13 am onward, to pac12 media oblivion ?!...aahhh what the hell, none in the eastern or central time ones watch anyway
https://www.outkick.com/pac-12-media-de ... streaming/
I agree 100% only diehards will see your product. A true disaster if they go that route. Unfortunately the better teams will leave for the Big 12.
I could see the PAC 12 lose their P5 status at some point if that happens.
I still wonder how Kliavkoff got the PAC12 job...Stability is not his calling card, 7 jobs in 20 years, and none of those had anything to do with college athletics...yes he had media experience, but promoting WWE @ the MGM Grande is not college athletics....the " corner schools" will announce at the end of this school year they will be joining the Big12 asap...the pac will be left with Stanford, Oregon St, Wash State, Cal...... Washington and Oregon will be off to the Big10...... the pac will try to rebound with Air Force, Colorado St, Boise, Fresno St, San Diego St, and name your school to get to 12 minimum if not 16...does the PAC keep it's PEE, I do not see that happening....ahhh Hell, just merge the MTN West and the PAC leftovers and form the Mountain Shore conference....no money to be paid for leaving a conference and schedules can be made asap
That’s all a distinct possibility about the PAC’s future demise. Two loser commissioners in a row will likely be their undoing, and Kliavkoff is completely in over his head. With Kliavkoff, the PAC tried to solve their problems with a commissioner who “had connections” rather than work the problem and come up with a solution that could enhance the PAC’s value—and keep USC and UCLA. We may see the MWC try to grab Stanford, Cal, Oregon St and Wash St, along with some AAC western teams like Tulane, SMU, Memphis and another one or two—and promote itself as the Fifth P—like the AAC’s P6 campaign. Tulane would still be better in a cobbled MWC, than staying in the CUSAAC.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:11 am From Spokane, we be united
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/ ... into-plac/
Interesting to see Colorado going back to the Big 12 after having left there for the PAC 12.
Schulz’s grasp of the college sports landscape ranks with that of any president in the Power Five.

He was Kansas State’s boss when the Big 12 lost Nebraska (to the Big Ten), Missouri (SEC) and Colorado (Pac-12).
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:43 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:11 am From Spokane, we be united
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/ ... into-plac/
Interesting to see Colorado going back to the Big 12 after having left there for the PAC 12.
Schulz’s grasp of the college sports landscape ranks with that of any president in the Power Five.

He was Kansas State’s boss when the Big 12 lost Nebraska (to the Big Ten), Missouri (SEC) and Colorado (Pac-12).
This is why I think at the end of the day, the PAC-12 survives:

The CFP’s decision to expand, he said, was based partly on the belief that automatic bids for Power Five champions would add a calming element to the realignment tumult.

“It’s easier for a school to go through a 12-team conference and get to the playoff than it is to go through a 16-, 18- or 20-team conference,” he said.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:39 am from ESPN- ACC a piece of the pie
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ney-battle
FSU was the reason the Metro Conf wasn’t a FB league. They wanted the majority of the money to add FB also. Looking back it’s really a shame the AAC couldn’t grab the Big12 teams first once UT and OU decided to leave. Tulane is in a trick bag now. The new CUSAAC is not fan or TV exciting and won’t generate the revenue needed to allow us to keep coaches or build out athletic facilities. The Big12 looking to expand will grab from the Pac12 before us I believe.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:54 am
FSU was the reason the Metro Conf wasn’t a FB league. They wanted the majority of the money to add FB also. Looking back it’s really a shame the AAC couldn’t grab the Big12 teams first once UT and OU decided to leave. Tulane is in a trick bag now. The new CUSAAC is not fan or TV exciting and won’t generate the revenue needed to allow us to keep coaches or build out athletic facilities. The Big12 looking to expand will grab from the Pac12 before us I believe.
Once again the AAC had no chance to get the Big 12 teams. They were getting 3-4 times what AAC teams were getting.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Tim.... U R correct, the Big12 wants the "four corner" schools....at present, Tulane is not even a blimp on their radar...that may change, if some Prez's bark at adding Colorado, their are some who remember when Colorado said they were much classier than those "Texas schools" and deserved to be in a more prestigious conference.... If Colorado is left at the altar, USF and Tulane may become a player....but then again, it is hard to ignore the Denver TV market...and that is where the money is
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:21 am
Tim.... U R correct, the Big12 wants the "four corner" schools....at present, Tulane is not even a blimp on their radar...that may change, if some Prez's bark at adding Colorado, their are some who remember when Colorado said they were much classier than those "Texas schools" and deserved to be in a more prestigious conference.... If Colorado is left at the altar, USF and Tulane may become a player....but then again, it is hard to ignore the Denver TV market...and that is where the money is
They have Prime now so maybe that past discretion may be overlooked.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:15 am
Once again the AAC had no chance to get the Big 12 teams. They were getting 3-4 times what AAC teams were getting.
Yea but one can dream. ESPN probably played a hand in that also.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

There is a silly side to this with Fla St saying they won't be able to compete with only $36M. How much is enough? Doesn't there eventually reach a point where there is only so much bling that you can piss away money, just to be doing it? The schools can't legally be involved in NIL so where does the money go? How much does it take to "compete"? Is it just so childish that the threshold becomes whatever anyone else has?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:52 am
As I’ve said numerous times before when you’ve thrown that out there it is just simple economics. The Big 12 teams were making at least 3 times what the AAC teams were making so there was NO chance the AAC could grab them.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:26 am

As I’ve said numerous times before when you’ve thrown that out there it is just simple economics. The Big 12 teams were making at least 3 times what the AAC teams were making so there was NO chance the AAC could grab them.
The question is, would they have CONTINUED to make that money once UT and OU left, without adding the 4 schools they did? The answer is no.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:49 am
winwave wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:26 am
The question is, would they have CONTINUED to make that money once UT and OU left, without adding the 4 schools they did? The answer is no.
The answer is a resounding YES as evidenced by their new contract which now pays them even more.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The current AAC TV deal runs through 2032 and we’re stuck at $7 million a school. The remaining Big 12 members did an extension when OU & UT left and managed to go from $41 million a school to $50 million a school until 2031. (Not sure when the new 4 members will get a full share)
We need to get out of CUSAAC ASAP.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

latest from Seattle.... I have reached my "free" limit...someone give us the readers digest version

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... -and-more/
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anEngineer
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:16 pm The current AAC TV deal runs through 2032 and we’re stuck at $7 million a school. The remaining Big 12 members did an extension when OU & UT left and managed to go from $41 million a school to $50 million a school until 2031. (Not sure when the new 4 members will get a full share)
We need to get out of CUSAAC ASAP.
I think they should be getting a full share pretty quickly because I remember reading a story about the remaining members giving up some of their money to the newcomers so they could be competitive as quickly as possible.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I use the RedBox App pre-installed on my Samsung TV to stream movies periodically. They have a rent and free stream option. They also have a free live TV option. I was browsing through that option the other day and to my surprise I discovered the PAC-12 Network which is free. It’s amazing that all their games in most sports are available to be streamed free. The Redbox App is also available on your iPhone and Android device. It’s a free download. Check it out.

https://www.redbox.com/stream-free-live ... 12_insider
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320
Green Wave

A lot of this is in reference to the article nut posted above.

I personally believe that the longer this thing goes on, and the higher the payout per member, the less likely PAC12 will expand beyond SDSU and SMU, at least early on.
greenie78
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:22 pm I use the RedBox App pre-installed on my Samsung TV to stream movies periodically. They have a rent and free stream option. They also have a free live TV option. I was browsing through that option the other day and to my surprise I discovered the PAC-12 Network which is free. It’s amazing that all their games in most sports are available to be streamed free. The Redbox App is also available on your iPhone and Android device. It’s a free download. Check it out.

Great info!!! Will check it out. I remember having to use Febo to watch the P-12 network this past season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:15 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:22 pm I use the RedBox App pre-installed on my Samsung TV to stream movies periodically. They have a rent and free stream option. They also have a free live TV option. I was browsing through that option the other day and to my surprise I discovered the PAC-12 Network which is free. It’s amazing that all their games in most sports are available to be streamed free. The Redbox App is also available on your iPhone and Android device. It’s a free download. Check it out.

Great info!!! Will check it out. I remember having to use Febo to watch the P-12 network this past season.
Works great!
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

While we hoped that they were interested in SMU to get in the CTZ it seems now they wanted them to get into Texas.
greenie78
Riptide

Yes, I think our chances are currently less than 50% to get invited, but we are in the discussion and most likely 3rd on their list behind SDSU and SMU. I think they wanted SMU to get into the Dallas market. They value markets/viewership along with academics and recent on-field success. We're not far behind and will be invited if they decide to take 4 teams instead of two, but no other school currently fits the profile of market/viewership, academics, and recent on-field success.