SMU to the ACC/PAC-12 discussions

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave Fan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:37 pm Doesn't Tulane have more students from California than any other state?
Probably so. The last two freshmen classes have had more students from California than any other state.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

Even if the PAC becomes much less than what they are now, watching Tulane play Stanford is a lot more attractive than Charlotte.
greenie78
Riptide

Greeniegb wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:03 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:41 am
Greeniegb wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:49 am

Alot of us fans are gone if the Wave gets into the Pac 12. no natural rivalries, too much travel, especially bowl tie ins, no interest in playing western schools, too far for the alumni base. Adios to Tulane Athletics if that move happens!!!
For every fan like you that wont make the trip, there are 5 alums in CA and the PNW that will. I doubt you'll be missed. For every La player's family that will be disappointed by games so far away, there will be a CA or a CO or an AZ players family that will be excited.
lst we are not going to the Pac 12, as soon as they contacted Troy he contacted the Big 12. Money to be do not want to go West over the Rockies. The University and powers to be lst choice is the Big 12, and second is the ACC. Once UCF, Houston, Cincinatti and maybe Memphis gets into the Big 12 we will easily have enough votes to get in. If the Pac 12 holds strong don't count out the merger between the Big 12 and AAC forming a Super Conference. That is not off the table!!!
We have no shot at the big 12 anytime soon. They're looking for P5 schools now.
anEngineer
Riptide

I can't say I blame the Big12 for putting the 4 corners schools ahead of us. That would clearly be the best move for them and would expect them to pursue it to its final conclusion.
greenie78
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:19 pm Even if the PAC becomes much less than what they are now, watching Tulane play Stanford is a lot more attractive than Charlotte.
Exactly. Otherwise we're going against directional schools with poorer academic standards.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:03 pm lst we are not going to the Pac 12, as soon as they contacted Troy he contacted the Big 12. Money to be do not want to go West over the Rockies. The University and powers to be lst choice is the Big 12, and second is the ACC. Once UCF, Houston, Cincinatti and maybe Memphis gets into the Big 12 we will easily have enough votes to get in. If the Pac 12 holds strong don't count out the merger between the Big 12 and AAC forming a Super Conference. That is not off the table!!!
The more likely merger would be the CUSAAC and the SunBelt. ESPN placed the latest round of teams in their respective conferences keeping the SunBelt rural schools and the AAC in the larger cities.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

For those of you complaining that going to the PAC12 would cut down on support, if that's the case, why is our minor sport baseball team making THREE TRIPS to the West Coast? Playing 4 games this trip, going back in 10 days for 3 more, and then a few weeks after that playing @ Washington and then on to Hawaii for three games.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:29 pm For those of you complaining that going to the PAC12 would cut down on support, if that's the case, why is our minor sport baseball team making THREE TRIPS to the West Coast? Playing 4 games this trip, going back in 10 days for 3 more, and then a few weeks after that playing @ Washington and then on to Hawaii for three games.
actually it makes not damn sense....one trip out west, play two different schools, or in one of the "Spring Break" type tourneys is enuff...anything more is a toal waste of $$$
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:21 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:29 pm For those of you complaining that going to the PAC12 would cut down on support, if that's the case, why is our minor sport baseball team making THREE TRIPS to the West Coast? Playing 4 games this trip, going back in 10 days for 3 more, and then a few weeks after that playing @ Washington and then on to Hawaii for three games.
actually it makes not damn sense....one trip out west, play two different schools, or in one of the "Spring Break" type tourneys is enuff...anything more is a toal waste of $$$
I agree. This is a bit excessive.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There's only one person complaining. As to baseball Uhlman is a west coast guy. As noted it's a bit excessive this year and doubt we'l see it again.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:37 am
There's only one person complaining. As to baseball Uhlman is a west coast guy. As noted it's a bit excessive this year and doubt we'l see it again.
Just remember, unless we get a football-only invite ALL of our teams would be making multiple west coast trips every season. "Travel partners" refers to having multiple schools to visit on one trip. We would have plenty of opportunities to have multiple road games combined into a trip. But who would the travel partner be for Tulane and New Orleans? Dallas?

As far as baseball is concerned, it seems to me like maybe it's being de-emphasized? We had a coach that the biggest knock was that he'd never been a HC. So we fired him and replaced him with a lifetime assistant. Not typically a formula for success.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GretnaGreen
Low Tide

As far as baseball is concerned, it seems to me like maybe it's being de-emphasized? We had a coach that the biggest knock was that he'd never been a HC. So we fired him and replaced him with a lifetime assistant. Not typically a formula for success.

Dannen did eliminate Baseball at Northern Iowa, his last stop.
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:05 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:37 am
Just remember, unless we get a football-only invite ALL of our teams would be making multiple west coast trips every season. "Travel partners" refers to having multiple schools to visit on one trip. We would have plenty of opportunities to have multiple road games combined into a trip. But who would the travel partner be for Tulane and New Orleans? Dallas?

It would have to be Dallas. Not too long of a flight.
GreenLantern
Riptide

A number of intangible factors goes into the choosing of an expansion team: desirability of a city as a tourist destination; available lodging for facilitating travel; and yes….even the political climate and the support of the city administration.

Here’s our New Orleans mayor yesterday greeting Mardi Gras parade goers. This is why we can’t have nice things in New Orleans:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

SEC fans want Tulane back. Read the comments.
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRn87Axk/
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
bananax07
Ripple

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:36 pm A number of intangible factors goes into the choosing of an expansion team: desirability of a city as a tourist destination; available lodging for facilitating travel; and yes….even the political climate and the support of the city administration.

Here’s our New Orleans mayor yesterday greeting Mardi Gras parade goers. This is why we can’t have nice things in New Orleans
i doubt conference commissioners care about the "political climate". sounds like you're trying to use this forum as a vehicle to let everyone know how you feel about latoya.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Streaming won’t save college football as we know it because it’s not saving TV
https://theathletic.com/4239583/2023/02 ... ed_article
The Pac-12 needs leverage, but Amazon and Apple aren’t that. A move to heavy streaming would dramatically decrease game viewership and threaten to speed the conference into irrelevancy. In a sport based around recruiting and donors, people need to find your games easily. ESPN knows this. It’s why Conference USA rushed back to ESPN as part of its new TV deal and away from streaming places like Stadium. Even if Amazon and Apple, which have been more prudent with streaming spending than other places, overpay for the sake of content on a potential sports-only app, it’s an incredible risk for a conference.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

onward, to pac12 media oblivion ?!...aahhh what the hell, none in the eastern or central time zones watch anyway
https://www.outkick.com/pac-12-media-de ... streaming/
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:13 am onward, to pac12 media oblivion ?!...aahhh what the hell, none in the eastern or central time ones watch anyway
I agree 100% only diehards will see your product. A true disaster if they go that route. Unfortunately the better teams will leave for the Big 12.
I could see the PAC 12 lose their P5 status at some point if that happens.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

We need the PAC to find a way to make it work and hang on to their existing members. That probably gets us in a viable PAC or Big12. Otherwise, it's P4 and we're still waiting.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:53 am We need the PAC to find a way to make it work and hang on to their existing members. That probably gets us in a viable PAC or Big12. Otherwise, it's P4 and we're still waiting.
Yes. I’m seeing that also. The Big 12 will grab the best from the PAC 12 and we could be left standing at the altar once again.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:39 pm
anEngineer wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:19 pm Even if the PAC becomes much less than what they are now, watching Tulane play Stanford is a lot more attractive than Charlotte.
Exactly. Otherwise we're going against directional schools with poorer academic standards.
speaking of "direction', Tulane could use some
greenie78
Riptide

I still think a mixture of lower end P12 teams with some high end MWC teams, and SMU would be alot better than where we're at right now, especially if the money is alot better.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:20 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:13 am onward, to pac12 media oblivion ?!...aahhh what the hell, none in the eastern or central time ones watch anyway
I agree 100% only diehards will see your product. A true disaster if they go that route. Unfortunately the better teams will leave for the Big 12.
I could see the PAC 12 lose their P5 status at some point if that happens.
I still wonder how Kliavkoff got the PAC12 job...Stability is not his calling card, 7 jobs in 20 years, and none of those had anything to do with college athletics...yes he had media experience, but promoting WWE @ the MGM Grande is not college athletics....the " corner schools" will announce at the end of this school year they will be joining the Big12 asap...the pac will be left with Stanford, Oregon St, Wash State, Cal...... Washington and Oregon will be off to the Big10...... the pac will try to rebound with Air Force, Colorado St, Boise, Fresno St, San Diego St, and name your school to get to 12 minimum if not 16...does the PAC keep it's PEE, I do not see that happening....ahhh Hell, just merge the MTN West and the PAC leftovers and form the Mountain Shore conference....no money to be paid for leaving a conference and schedules can be made asap