SMU to the ACC/PAC-12 discussions

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
anEngineer
Riptide

I would like to be in the Big 12 because it's currently where the action is, but I still think we are a better fit in the ACC. The schools there are more like us in size and mission.

greenie78
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:23 am I would like to be in the Big 12 because it's currently where the action is, but I still think we are a better fit in the ACC. The schools there are more like us in size and mission.
Unfortunately those conferences aren't looking for G5 anytime soon.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:40 am
anEngineer wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:23 am I would like to be in the Big 12 because it's currently where the action is, but I still think we are a better fit in the ACC. The schools there are more like us in size and mission.
in my opinion the Big12 does not have a use for Tulane...the ACC, with all schools in the ETZ, needs to expand westward, no current PEE school in the CTZ or MTZ has any interest in the ACC, unless the PAC implodes...the Big12 is looking mainly westward, the 'Zona Schools, Utah and Colorado are on their radar...they do need a playmate for UCF, so USF may make the cut
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:47 am
greenie78 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:40 am
in my opinion the Big12 does not have a use for Tulane...the ACC, with all schools in the ETZ, needs to expand westward, no current PEE school in the CTZ or MTZ has any interest in the ACC, unless the PAC implodes...the Big12 is looking mainly westward, the 'Zona Schools, Utah and Colorado are on their radar...they do need a playmate for UCF, so USF may make the cut
Or with the vast distances contemplated by the possible actions of the Big 12 and PAC, maybe we could be the UCF playmate. The ACC does need to look westward into the CTZ--ironically, if the ACC added Navy and Tulane right now, its average Viewership Rating, and average viewers per game, would actually increase, albeit slightly. That may not translate into additional TV revenue under their contract(s). It also shows what a good deal the ACC got under its current contract(s), and how vulnerable they are as 2035 approaches.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

What happens to the ACC contract if teams leave like Clemson, Fla St, North Carolina or Miami? The ACC may have a TV deal to 2035, but it's pretty certain that that conference will somehow look different by then.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Except that their GOR agreements makes the cost to get out to be estimated around $300 million. So the ACC may well stay in tact till 2035.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/statu ... 92613?s=20

Rice isn't in the mix at this time.
Wave755
Tsunami

Interesting CBS Sports article on the dilemma now facing the PAC 12 & holding on to its remaining “four corners.” https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ghts-deal/
greenie78
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:31 am Interesting CBS Sports article on the dilemma now facing the PAC 12 & holding on to its remaining “four corners.” https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ghts-deal/
They need to add teams in general. And SDSU and SMU won't be enough. They need to add at least 4 teams total.
Wave755
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:15 am
Wave755 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:31 am Interesting CBS Sports article on the dilemma now facing the PAC 12 & holding on to its remaining “four corners.” https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ghts-deal/
They need to add teams in general. And SDSU and SMU won't be enough. They need to add at least 4 teams total.
+1, & no mention of our Wave?🤷🏻‍♂️
greenie78
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:40 pm
I think the Wave would be the obvious choice after SDSU and SMU. Should have added them yesterday lol.
Greeniegb
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:43 pm

I think the Wave would be the obvious choice after SDSU and SMU. Should have added them yesterday lol.
Alot of us fans are gone if the Wave gets into the Pac 12. no natural rivalries, too much travel, especially bowl tie ins, no interest in playing western schools, too far for the alumni base. Adios to Tulane Athletics if that move happens!!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:49 am
Alot of us fans are gone if the Wave gets into the Pac 12. no natural rivalries, too much travel, especially bowl tie ins, no interest in playing western schools, too far for the alumni base. Adios to Tulane Athletics if that move happens!!!
Damn.. .I wonda if all those USC and UCLA fans feel that way....those trips to Columbus, East Lansing and Ann Arbor will be one hell of a bitch to make, especially in the dead of winter....give me Tuscon, San Diego and PHX any day over that krap
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

For every fan like you that wont make the trip, there are 5 alums in CA and the PNW that will. I doubt you'll be missed. For every La player's family that will be disappointed by games so far away, there will be a CA or a CO or an AZ players family that will be excited.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenie78
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:41 am

For every fan like you that wont make the trip, there are 5 alums in CA and the PNW that will. I doubt you'll be missed. For every La player's family that will be disappointed by games so far away, there will be a CA or a CO or an AZ players family that will be excited.
Plus it's not like they will be playing 8 west coast games. We still have plenty of home games :lol:
GreenLantern
Riptide

greenie78 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:03 am Plus it's not like they will be playing 8 west coast games. We still have plenty of home games :lol:
Absolutely this. Judging from recent history, few fans travel to Memphis, Tulsa, and SMU. I wouldn’t expect any major falloff if we were lucky enough to join the PAC
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

]Alot of us fans are gone if the Wave gets into the Pac 12. no natural rivalries, too much travel, especially bowl tie ins, no interest in playing western schools, too far for the alumni base. Adios to Tulane Athletics if that move happens!!!
Yeah, right. I would be even more adversely affected than you would, Mrs. Horton. As much as I don't want them in the PAC 12, I'd take it all day (twice on Saturdays) over the CUSAAC. Tulane is in my blood, I would never be able to stop following our Green Wave. It would probably result in a change to my sleeping patterns and/or retirement plans.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

+1, and having had been a Tulane student for 7 years, I can tell you our student body will be far more enthused for playing Stanford, Cal, Washington & Oregon every year than the likes of North Texas, FAU, UTSA, UNC-Charlotte or UAB. The PAC 12 is not ideal but if offered we should, “just say yes.” And, even a partial PAC 12 revenue share will far exceed what we will get from the new CUSAAAC!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

PAC12 isn’t ideal, but it’s light-years better than CUSAAC. More fans will come to Yulman for a game against Stanford, Oregon, Arizona etc than against UNT, FAU, Charlotte, etc. And I still say if the PAC12 is to survive they will need a bigger CTZ presence than just SMU.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:34 pm PAC12 isn’t ideal, but it’s light-years better than CUSAAC. More fans will come to Yulman for a game against Stanford, Oregon, Arizona etc than against UNT, FAU, Charlotte, etc. And I still say if the PAC12 is to survive they will need a bigger CTZ presence than just SMU.
It should be obvious to PAC12 that SMU won't be enough by themselves in the central time zone region. They need more viewers and they also need to increase their overall talent pool by reaching into the Texas and Louisiana market as well as more competitive teams. There's no doubt Tulane could compete in that conference right away,
Wave Fan
Low Tide

Doesn't Tulane have more students from California than any other state?
Greeniegb
Swell

lst we are not going to the Pac 12, as soon as they contacted Troy he contacted the Big 12. Money to be do not want to go West over the Rockies. The University and powers to be lst choice is the Big 12, and second is the ACC. Once UCF, Houston, Cincinatti and maybe Memphis gets into the Big 12 we will easily have enough votes to get in. If the Pac 12 holds strong don't count out the merger between the Big 12 and AAC forming a Super Conference. That is not off the table!!!
Greeniegb
Swell

Let the PAC 12 go it would be a terrible move because it is a dying conference more so than the AAC. It will not survive then what. We are better off standing pat than making that move!!!

Will the Pac-12 break up? Where each team would go if league disintegrates over media rights deal What's ahead for the Pac-12 -- and college football -- if its top remaining teams depart?

Industry sources still project a media rights deal split between ESPN and Amazon for the embattled conference. However, dissolution of the Pac-12 is being talked about openly in those same industry circles as a potential consequence if the league does not wrap up its new deal soon.

The fact that it could happen in these tenuous times is enough to project what the process might look like.

Multiple sources tell CBS Sports the league is struggling to match its desired value for its 10-team league (south of $400 million annually, $40 million per school) following the departures of USC and UCLA to the Big Ten.

Why would the Pac-12 break up?
On a streaming carrier, the Pac-12 would lose significant visibility That translates -- for starters -- to declined recruiting and a struggle to hire top coaches if their games will not be widely available.

If individual or collective Pac-12 schools sense they can make more money and receive better exposure in another Power Five conference, they have no choice but to look out for the long-term financial security of their universities and athletic departments. Football (and basketball) media rights basically fund a program's remaining sports.

[b]Four Corners schools
Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah have been Big 12 targets, in some form, since USC and UCLA announced plans last summer to leave fo the Big Ten.[/b]

Adding the Four Corners schools would also make the Big 12 the third conference with 16 members joining the SEC and Big Ten.

Arizona would enhance the Big 12's basketball reputation. (Gonzaga is in consideration as a basketball-only member.)
Arizona State is one of the biggest sleeping giants in the country playing in the nation's 11th biggest market (just outside Phoenix).
Colorado is a former Big 12 member, achieving its greatest success in the league in the old Big Eight. Deion Sanders at CU is a walking, talking marketing executive. Whatever he accomplishes, it can't hurt viewership.
Utah (along with Oregon) is arguably the Pac-12's strongest remaining football program. It would also give BYU a travel partner.
In essence, adding those four schools would create more Big 12 content in more time slots. Such an expansion might reflect what the Pac-12 is worth right now. If the Big 12 expands, its contract states new team(s) would get 63% of pro rata revenue from ESPN (approximately $20 million annually). If that's what compels those schools to move, what does it say about the current worth of the Pac-12?
Greeniegb
Swell

After expansion is this the PAC 12 would we be happy joining, talk it will drop down to a Power 4. Look what will be what's left of the PAC 12.

San Diego State and SMU are already projected as expansion candidates if the Pac-12 survives, so pencil them in to make it six teams in the hybrid league. A corner bar discussion might reveal a new Pac-12 that looks like this:

Cal
Boise State
Fresno State
Oregon State
San Diego State
SMU
Stanford
Washington State
That lineup would reduce the Power Five to the Power Four, creating implications beyond the Pac-12 itself.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ghts-deal/
RobertM320
Green Wave

Greeniegb wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:27 pm After expansion is this the PAC 12 would we be happy joining, talk it will drop down to a Power 4. Look what will be what's left of the PAC 12.

San Diego State and SMU are already projected as expansion candidates if the Pac-12 survives, so pencil them in to make it six teams in the hybrid league. A corner bar discussion might reveal a new Pac-12 that looks like this:

Cal
Boise State
Fresno State
Oregon State
San Diego State
SMU
Stanford
Washington State
That lineup would reduce the Power Five to the Power Four, creating implications beyond the Pac-12 itself.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ghts-deal/
That lineup would still get more money per school from TV than the current CUSAAC.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson