Tyjae Spears

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

He broke ankles without the ball!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

Kinda funny that THREE of the top five Overall Distance leaders are AAC products. But yeah, we're inferior to the P5s.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Saints need to draft Tyjae and trade Kamara somewhere.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:29 am He broke ankles without the ball!
Did it to an LSU player to boot!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

Spears is a small-school prospect with big aspirations and big potential at the next level as well. For me, Spears grades out as a potential top-75 prospect and a potential top-five player at his position. His dynamic ability is in the elite tier, and a standout showing at the Senior Bowl could vault him even higher for teams.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tyja ... port-2023/

That seems to be about early 3rd round pick.

Man getting him taken in the 2nd round would really help us recruit an even higher caliber of RB. Iverstine, Shaadie look like they're gonna be real good. Duda and Cornist turned down Nebraska and Kentucky for Tulane. Get a couple of them in the NFL and we start to really pick up steam as RB-U :mrgreen: 8-)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:40 pm
Spears is a small-school prospect with big aspirations and big potential at the next level as well. For me, Spears grades out as a potential top-75 prospect and a potential top-five player at his position. His dynamic ability is in the elite tier, and a standout showing at the Senior Bowl could vault him even higher for teams.

Man getting him taken in the 2nd round would really help us recruit an even higher caliber of RB. Iverstine, Shaadie look like they're gonna be real good. Duda and Cornist turned down Nebraska and Kentucky for Tulane. Get a couple of them in the NFL and we start to really pick up steam as RB-U :mrgreen: 8-)
I hear what you're saying, but don't forget about Moore, Forte, Darkwa, Kelly, and Hilliard more recently. Personally, I think Spears has better moves than any of them, but think his NFL career will be somewhere between that of Mewelde and Forte. There's so many variables not the least of which is where he gets drafted and what kind of system they run. I'd like to see him go to the Carolina Panthers and be an immediate success.
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:29 pm
Ruski wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:40 pm

I hear what you're saying, but don't forget about Moore, Forte, Darkwa, Kelly, and Hilliard more recently. Personally, I think Spears has better moves than any of them, but think his NFL career will be somewhere between that of Mewelde and Forte. There's so many variables not the least of which is where he gets drafted and what kind of system they run. I'd like to see him go to the Carolina Panthers and be an immediate success.
Moore - 2004 - 4th round
Forte - 2008 - 2nd round
Darkwa - 2014 - UFA
Kelly - 2016 - UFA
Hilliard - 2018 - UFA

That's not bad but I'm talking about getting back to the Moore/Forte days. Getting RBs regularly drafted and legit NFL careers, not just a couple years on practice squads.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Kelly was the man in DC for a couple of seasons. Darkwa saw playing time with multiple teams (including my NY Giants!) and Hilliard is the backup to arguably the best runningback in the league, I see your point about getting drafted and having longevity, but there's a lot of luck involved, too. Look at how the cards had to unfold for Kelly to get his role. Sometimes it's better to be an UFA than a late-round pick, but again, there's a lot of luck involved.

I don't disagree that having one RB follow another so that every 2-4 years we have a Tulane RB go by the end of the second day of the draft would be great. I just think there are so many variables that you never know. And there's always the outstanding college player whose game just doesn't translate well to the NFL. In other words, I don't care how we win, let's just keep on winning!

What we can definitely agree on is Spears was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. We were spoiled this year, no doubt.
Last edited by DfromCT on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Let’s keep this thread on topic (Spears) please.
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:15 pm
That’s unbelievable
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nice coverage on WWL-TV on the sports- said Tyjae is the fastest RB there and that Dorian is the fastest LB there.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 am
Tyjae makes it look easy against future NFLers.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Greeniegb
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:20 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 am
Tyjae makes it look easy against future NFLers.

Tyjae will go in Round 2, I remember Matt Forte while impressive was no where this recognized in the Senior Bowl.
Maybe I am wrong following are Matt Forte's Senior Bowl Stats, let's compare Tajae's stats after the game to Matt's.

Forte garnered the most attention at the 2008 Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, and walked away with the Overall MVP award. He led with 59 yards rushing on 8 carries; 4 receptions for 38 yards and a tackle on special teams. Awards and honors
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RB's aren't nearly as highly regarded as they were when Forte was drafted. Tyjae will be the 4th or 5th RB taken assuming he has a good Senior Bowl game and does well at the Combine. I think he's as good as any and better than a few that will go ahead of him. I'd be surprised to see Tyjae go higher than late third round, but probably fourth. Edge rushers, Linemen, DB's and WR's dominate the first three rounds. And you'll see a few players skyrocket based upon their combine results. My theory is those players are instant-bust candidates, as a high percentage of them seem to disappear quickly.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:36 am RB's aren't nearly as highly regarded as they were when Forte was drafted. Tyjae will be the 4th or 5th RB taken assuming he has a good Senior Bowl game and does well at the Combine. I think he's as good as any and better than a few that will go ahead of him. I'd be surprised to see Tyjae go higher than late third round, but probably fourth. Edge rushers, Linemen, DB's and WR's dominate the first three rounds. And you'll see a few players skyrocket based upon their combine results. My theory is those players are instant-bust candidates, as a high percentage of them seem to disappear quickly.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

Saints have pick #40. They need to get him there.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:41 am Saints have pick #40. They need to get him there.
Funny thing is we all know he’ll be successful in the NFL. I’m hoping the Saints value a RB. Kamara has been a huge disappointment besides his rookie year. Plus he’s looking at significant suspension time next season at the very least.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Named practice player of the week:

winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981