Tulane Beats USC 46-45 to win the Cotton Bowl!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:20 am Unfortunately, Fred Thompson is dead.
Then Quentin Tarantino as Fitts. And if he directs the movie, there is no telling what might be in it with N.O. as the backdrop.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:55 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:20 am Unfortunately, Fred Thompson is dead.
Then Quentin Tarantino as Fitts. And if he directs the movie, there is no telling what might be in it with N.O. as the backdrop.
I was gonna post Tom Arnold as Fitts
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:57 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:55 pm
I was gonna post Tom Arnold as Fitts
A change in casting, Kevin Hart as Coach Hampton
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Robert1969
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:04 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:20 am Dramatic last 5 minutes of game, a great video:

I can't stop watching this. It brings tears to my eyes every time.

Do you believe in miracles?

I know I am way, way, way late to this thread. But y’all were talking the pro-USC bias by the announcers. I have never heard a national play by play announcer be so excited about a pass being called incomplete late in a game like that in my life.

And you could tell he WANTED it to be incomplete because excitedly called out “THE REFEREE WAS RIGHT THERE!” And when RGIII observed on the replay that it was a catch, the PBP guy sounded so disappointed. And RGIII sounded disappointed and apologetic while making the observation,

So we know there was about 15,002 USC fans in the building. Lol! Makes winning even better when even the national announcers wanted you to lose.
Robert1969
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:12 pm Consider the last Tulane play when Bauman caught the pass in the end zone that was ruled incomplete by the official: It wasn’t that the referee called it incomplete, he was dramatic and pounded the ground several times emphasizing his call. To this I say, WTH???

Clearly the ball never hit the ground and over 30 thousand Tulane fans knew it after watching the replay. Obviously the official never saw the ball contact the turf either. Acknowledging that he had to make a call in a fraction of a second, I am nevertheless confused. Lacking positive evidence otherwise, shouldn’t he have called the pass complete and allowed replay to adjudicate any correction?

If his call had been allowed to stand, 1) it would not only have been robbery and a mistake for the ages but 2)there would have been real trouble.

This would have been the end-of-the-game Tulaning to which we are all accustomed. I hope the official gets a very bad report card. He deserves it.
Right? It’s one thing to be wrong. It’s quite another to be so emphatic about it. Now that we’ve legalized sports betting, every ref needs big time background checks. It reminds me of the fourth down conversion against K-State where the ref from camera side of the field came rushing in to try to mark the ball at least one yard short.

It’s time for refs to have post game press conferences. I want explanations, not just for wrong calls but emphatic behavior in support of wrong calls by refs. Millions of fans from across the country wanted Tulane to win. But I think it’s clear that the powers that be did not want Tulane — numerous times this year — refs media, so forth.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Robert1969 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:24 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:12 pm Consider the last Tulane play when Bauman caught the pass in the end zone that was ruled incomplete by the official: It wasn’t that the referee called it incomplete, he was dramatic and pounded the ground several times emphasizing his call. To this I say, WTH???

Clearly the ball never hit the ground and over 30 thousand Tulane fans knew it after watching the replay. Obviously the official never saw the ball contact the turf either. Acknowledging that he had to make a call in a fraction of a second, I am nevertheless confused. Lacking positive evidence otherwise, shouldn’t he have called the pass complete and allowed replay to adjudicate any correction?

If his call had been allowed to stand, 1) it would not only have been robbery and a mistake for the ages but 2)there would have been real trouble.

This would have been the end-of-the-game Tulaning to which we are all accustomed. I hope the official gets a very bad report card. He deserves it.
Right? It’s one thing to be wrong. It’s quite another to be so emphatic about it. Now that we’ve legalized sports betting, every ref needs big time background checks. It reminds me of the fourth down conversion against K-State where the ref from camera side of the field came rushing in to try to mark the ball at least one yard short.

It’s time for refs to have post game press conferences. I want explanations, not just for wrong calls but emphatic behavior in support of wrong calls by refs. Millions of fans from across the country wanted Tulane to win. But I think it’s clear that the powers that be did not want Tulane — numerous times this year — refs media, so forth.
Absolutely. That ref, that called the pass incomplete, should be held accountable and banned for life. He should have got an Academy Award for his emphatic pounding of the ground when he called the pass incomplete. He had no basis for ACTING as though
he was certain it had hit the ground, when it obviously hadn’t. We were just lucky that there was a perfect replay camera angle showing that it was a completed pass. What
conference were those refs from?
anEngineer
Riptide

I can see why he thought it was incomplete because the ball was moving around so much, but to be so emphatic about it when he never actually saw it is the essence of poor officiating.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:05 pm
Robert1969 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:24 pm

Absolutely. That ref, that called the pass incomplete, should be held accountable and banned for life. He should have got an Academy Award for his emphatic pounding of the ground when he called the pass incomplete. He had no basis for ACTING as though
he was certain it had hit the ground, when it obviously hadn’t. We were just lucky that there was a perfect replay camera angle showing that it was a completed pass. What
conference were those refs from?
IIRC they were from the SEC. He definitely should be disciplined for his grave overreaction on that call.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

You are correct, WW, the zebra crew for the Cotton Bowl was from the SEC. https://www.footballzebras.com/2022/12/ ... signments/
And, the “emphatic” umpire making the call was Russ Pulley.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The sad thing is that the ref upstaged Bauman that actually made an incredible catch. Yesterday at the celebration they showed highlights of the catch and nobody knew when to cheer. We were waiting for the ref signal on review but Tulane cut that out and nobody cheered the actual catch because we thought they were going to show the ref signal after the review. The bizarre thing is the ref was in his lap and still missed the call. Then embarrassingly he taps the turf emphatically. Just horrible. Dannen even mentioned it during his speech.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:43 am You are correct, WW, the zebra crew for the Cotton Bowl was from the SEC. https://www.footballzebras.com/2022/12/ ... signments/
And, the “emphatic” umpire making the call was Russ Pulley.
I gotta admit, being there, I thought it was a WAC crew doing the game...the sec should be ashamed to have sent that bunch to any bowl game. much less a 'NY6 game"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:28 am The sad thing is that the ref upstaged Bauman that actually made an incredible catch. Yesterday at the celebration they showed highlights of the catch and nobody knew when to cheer. We were waiting for the ref signal on review but Tulane cut that out and nobody cheered the actual catch because we thought they were going to show the ref signal after the review. The bizarre thing is the ref was in his lap and still missed the call. Then embarrassingly he taps the turf emphatically. Just horrible. Dannen even mentioned it during his speech.
Same here. I was waiting for them to show the ref calling it a TD and when they just went past it I told my daughter they should have shown the ref ruling it a TD. Other than that the video was good.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Lucky we have review today. That would have been a tragedy had that terrible call stand.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:48 am Lucky we have review today. That would have been a tragedy had that terrible call stand.
+1, if left to stand a million times worse than the Jonathan Banks "no touchdown call" against SMU in 2017. Even the USC people don't dispute that it was a catch, the video is conclusive!
🙌
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:00 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:48 am Lucky we have review today. That would have been a tragedy had that terrible call stand.
+1, if left to stand a million times worse than the Jonathan Banks "no touchdown call" against SMU in 2017. Even the USC people don't dispute that it was a catch, the video is conclusive!
🙌
Yep
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

It seems to me that a cardinal rule is that if a ref doesn't see it, he doesn't call it. He certainly did not see that ball touch the ground.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:09 am It seems to me that a cardinal rule is that if a ref doesn't see it, he doesn't call it. He certainly did not see that ball touch the ground.
Too many Refs call "what they think happened"..not what actually happened"..... seen way too many bogus Pass Interference calls,
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:14 am
GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:09 am It seems to me that a cardinal rule is that if a ref doesn't see it, he doesn't call it. He certainly did not see that ball touch the ground.
Too many Refs call "what they think happened"..not what actually happened"..... seen way too many bogus Pass Interference calls,
Or they make a call based on what they think will happen or should have happened.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

An observation on the winning Cotton Bowl catch:

Could the official that called the pass incomplete possibly taking the position that he would rather his incomplete call be overturned then a touchdown called the overturned. We all know that it was a touchdown, but at that point in time could that have been his thinking. Just an idea..
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DaveBrownStreak wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:28 pm An observation on the winning Cotton Bowl catch:

Could the official that called the pass incomplete possibly taking the position that he would rather his incomplete call be overturned then a touchdown called the overturned. We all know that it was a touchdown, but at that point in time could that have been his thinking. Just an idea..
What got me is him tapping the turf as if he saw it hit the ground. I could have lived with his call had he not been so convinced that it hit the turf.
Just glad they had a great reply available to review and overturn it.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

DaveBrownStreak wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:28 pm An observation on the winning Cotton Bowl catch:

The problem with this thinking is, aren't ALL scoring plays reviewed automatically? So if you call a TD, you know its going to be reviewed, so you've got nothing to lose.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:45 pm

What got me is him tapping the turf as if he saw it hit the ground. I could have lived with his call had he not been so convinced that it hit the turf.
Exactly. It was his theatrics, that condemn him--not the call itself. In fact, the game field replay shows that the ref couldn't really see what happened, as Bauman's legs curl up in a way that obscured the ref from seeing whether the ball ever hit the ground or not--hence something else must have motivated him to be so certain of his erroneous call.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:20 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:45 pm

Exactly. It was his theatrics, that condemn him--not the call itself. In fact, the game field replay shows that the ref couldn't really see what happened, as Bauman's legs curl up in a way that obscured the ref from seeing whether the ball ever hit the ground or not--hence something else must have motivated him to be so certain of his erroneous call.
Exactly
Tulane Class of 1981
Dave breslin
Swell

Just another erroneous call by the back and field refs in that game. Not that it was one sided-just mediocre refs at best. At least it wasn’t another ref screwing our city like the LA ref with the NO CALL. I’m still pinching myself self and watching the game over and over
RobertM320
Green Wave

Anyone who's got twitter needs to vote on these:

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson