Ron Hunter Interview

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I’ve got mixed opinions on this. Is it a good look, or no?

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:56 pm I’ve got mixed opinions on this. Is it a good look, or no?

If we win on Wednesday it passes. If we lose it might just fail.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NotJtS
Low Tide

I have to imagine all the Tulane coaches (admit it or not) are feeling extra pressure to perform after the football season we just had.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:56 pm I’ve got mixed opinions on this. Is it a good look, or no?

Hunter's whole eccentric/comedy act has a limited shelf-life--all tied to when he can turn this program around. Given where we are thus far this season, I can't say I'm impressed with this.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Yeah, I don't know. The whole thing just left me feeling ... uneasy. I do hope we can string some wins together and finish the rest of the season on the rise.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
anEngineer
Riptide

All things considered, this program is worlds better than ANYTHING we've seen around here in a long time. It's easy to be impatient and expect to be an NCAA lock every year, but that's still a bit much. As we've seen, this program is still at the stage where an injury or a player off-night will cost us a game. Coach Hunter is an odd guy who likes to be around the camera. It can wear thin when you see it every day, but nationally, it's probably still a plus for our program... but you still have to win. In the big picture, we are likely to have the first winning season in 10 years, 4th in the last 20 years. And we already have quality wins this year. If we can get a decent conference tourney and an NIT run, that's moving forward.
Ruski
Swell

Seems like the basketball is on the cusp of turning the corner. Much like the football team was for many years under Fritz. The football team was sorely lacking a QB. The basketball team has sorely lacked interior players in a similar way.

I think Hunter will finally find a big man or two. Get us to March Madness. And everyone will be riding his jock.

Plus the eccentrism will land us some attention and quality recruits that a quieter coach couldn't.
dpm wave
Swell

To me, his schtick has run its course. As far as being "impatient and expecting NCAA lock every year," I haven't seen that AT ALL from fans. If anything, he has been give more leeway than most. Tulane hasn't even sniffed the NIT as long as I can remember. If the team can't finish strong enough to get an NIT bid, then his seat should be more than hot next year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

dpm wave wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:45 pm To me, his schtick has run its course. As far as being "impatient and expecting NCAA lock every year," I haven't seen that AT ALL from fans. If anything, he has been give more leeway than most. Tulane hasn't even sniffed the NIT as long as I can remember. If the team can't finish strong enough to get an NIT bid, then his seat should be more than hot next year.
This. NO ONE HERE HAS SAID THAT WE SHOULD BE AN NCAA LOCK EVERY YEAR. Not even close. We finished strong in conference play last year and had 3 preseason all conference players coming back along with most everyone else from that team this season. So yes there was hope for an NCAA bid this season and certainly an NIT bid. The shot at an NCAA bid is gone unless we win the conference tourney. So now we need to get back on track to try and get that NIT bid. It's not only ok for fans to have expectations but it is important to do so. But dpm we have some that come here just to complain about the site. Don't let that deter you from telling it like it is.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

dpm wave wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:45 pm To me, his schtick has run its course. As far as being "impatient and expecting NCAA lock every year," I haven't seen that AT ALL from fans. If anything, he has been give more leeway than most. Tulane hasn't even sniffed the NIT as long as I can remember. If the team can't finish strong enough to get an NIT bid, then his seat should be more than hot next year.
Agree 100%. Well said!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

His act wore thin in Georgia as well. But where are we compared to when he took over? You have to give credit where credit is due, and he dug us out of a hole. Now the question becomes can he take the next step?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V