Lance Guidry - New Defensive Coordinator - Heads to Miami

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:17 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:54 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:05 pm

Big issues, and big mistake another snub of Coach Washington, this one will come back to haunt Willie!!!
Big side business with twitter, is his focus on coaching or his twitter business???

re: Lance Guidry Out At McNeesePosted on 11/24/18 at 6:01 pm to Cowboyfan89
quote:
Oh, so you are familiar with Doc and his band of sunshine pumpers on the Geaux Cowboys page, huh? Lol!

Those guys make me irrationally mad sometimes. They have a lot of nerve telling people they don't have the right to complain if they don't go to meetings. Another coach Long, one and out!!!
https://peopleai.com/fame/identities/lance-guidry

https://www.irishcentral.com/sports/usa ... -238164281
gbg, your guy Lionel didn't get the job. So now you're quoting yourself and going off on the most successful coach Tulane has had in any of our lifetimes. Please accept that LW is not going to be our DC and move on, rather than blow up the board with your copied/pasted/repasted/repasted bs. Guidry has worked and done a fine job elsewhere and checks off every box other than "gbg's preferred DC". And that box might not have been on Fritz's checklist.
:lol: :lol: Come on D, gbg knows all--he knows what LW wants at his stage in life, and he knows what Willie's thinking and what Willie's options are.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Who cares about Guidry and McNeese State? We're not hiring him as our HC, he'll be our DC--and his record of late is very good in that regard. I'm confident he'll do a good job as DC. And no, not hiring Lionel Washington will not come back to haunt Willie.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Only concern at this point is will our defensive team chemistry slip or will Hampton recruit our recruits or players. I’m sure Guidry is an excellent coach.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:22 am Only concern at this point is will our defensive team chemistry slip or will Hampton recruit our recruits or players. I’m sure Guidry is an excellent coach.
The winter transfer portal window officially closes today, Wednesday, January 18 and players will have until today to submit their names. There is also a 15-day period during the Spring, from May 1-15.
🤞
RobertM320
Green Wave

Re: Marshall loses DC!
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:30:38 PM »
Losing a coach to another G5 that's supposed to be our peer is always a kick in the nuts.

--------------------------------------------

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:37:07 PM »
I wish him well, but I think he could do better in the long run. Tulane is good now, but for how long? Including this season, Tulane has had only six winning seasons since that undefeated season in 1998.

----------------------------------------------------

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:11:19 PM »

Tulane is a very good academic school with a lot of wealthy alums. There endowment is close to $2 BILLION while MU endowment is $250-300 million. I wouldn't be surprised if Guirdy doubles his salary at Tulane. If you listen to Coach Huff's podcast, there are SBC schools that pay more salary to their assistant coaches than MU does for its assistant coaches. If Guidry does well at Tulane, he will move up and double his salary again.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

If these guys think Marshall is a peer to Tulane in any way, shape or form, they're delusional.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:13 am If these guys think Marshall is a peer to Tulane in any way, shape or form, they're delusional.
USN&WR ranks Marshall #299 with an acceptance rate of 98%. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ma ... rsity-3815
And, can you imagine what the 2% look like who don't get in? :D :lol: :thumbup: Hell, even 'Nut could get into :D that place, they would have to take him!

And, Marshall's endowment is $192 million. Some "peer of Tulane"? :wink:
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:13 am If these guys think Marshall is a peer to Tulane in any way, shape or form, they're delusional.
I'm assuming he meant athletic peer.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

As much as the players seemed to love playing for coach Hampton, I don't think they'd love him enough to live through winters in Eugene.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:42 am
USN&WR ranks Marshall #299 with an acceptance rate of 98%. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ma ... rsity-3815
And, can you imagine what the 2% look like who don't get in? :D :lol: :thumbup: Hell, even 'Nut could get into :D that place, they would have to take him!

You must be speaking of Houston Nutt
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:25 pm

Correct, Houston 'Nut! :D
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:39 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:25 pm

Correct, Houston 'Nut! :D
I knew it was Houston Nutt...if it were me, U would have posted UTSA
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

Both schools are green. That's about as peer as it gets.
Greeniegb
Swell

Tigers will rant with this, Guidry arrested DUI night before Western Kentucky played LSU, guess he is not like players with a curfew night before game. Guidry has two other DWI arrests!!!

https://collegefootball.nbcsports.com/2 ... ainst-lsu/
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Greeniegb wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:40 am Tigers will rant with this, Guidry arrested DUI night before Western Kentucky played LSU, guess he is not like players with a curfew night before game. Guidry has two other DWI arrests!!!

Since you’re posting stuff from 2011. Nothing will ever top this one.

Tulane law school student Bruce Reilly outed as convicted murderer
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nation ... e-1.953696

For the record one DWI arrest was when he was a teenager in 1990. He’s been trouble-free for nearly 13 years so I’m good with that.
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:48 am
Greeniegb wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:40 am Tigers will rant with this, Guidry arrested DUI night before Western Kentucky played LSU, guess he is not like players with a curfew night before game. Guidry has two other DWI arrests!!!

Well posters were having questions why McNeese left him go after winning, and he coached a year or less under Frank Scelfo at Southeastern, may have nothing to do with coaching could be character issues why he keeps moving on. He swore to Western Kentucky he was there to stay then moved on. Great coach but we do not want to mess up the chemistry of our defense with character issues. Hope not!!! One mistake but 3 DWI how many other times did not get caught!!!
Last edited by Greeniegb on Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Greeniegb wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:54 am

Well posters were having questions why McNeese left him go after winning, and he coached a year or less under Frank Scelfo at Southeastern, may have nothing to do with coaching could be character issues why he keeps moving on. He swore to Western Kentucky he was there to stay then moved on. Great coach but we do not want to mess up the chemistry of our defense with character issues. Hope not!!!
I trust Willie Fritz 1000%.
Much of his success has been hiring and firing assistant coaches. He doesn’t hold on if they don’t work out. And if they do he wants them paid better to hold on. Guidry came highly recommended by coaches on his staff. I believe he’s going to turn out to be another gem.
For the record one DWI arrest was when he was a teenager in 1990. He’s been trouble-free for nearly 13 years so I’m good with that.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 5.amp.html
“They have a culture of good defense there,” Scelfo said. “They’re very sound schemewise, but the main thing is the way they play, how competitive their guys are.”
Scelfo didn’t hesitate and became the first coach to reach out.

“After they let me go, Frank reached out to me the next day,” Guidry said. “He called me later on in the week and offered me a job.
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:57 am

Well posters were having questions why McNeese left him go after winning, and he coached a year or less under Frank Scelfo at Southeastern, may have nothing to do with coaching could be character issues why he keeps moving on. He swore to Western Kentucky he was there to stay then moved on. Great coach but we do not want to mess up the chemistry of our defense with character issues. Hope not!!!
I trust Willie also but he is not perfect and messed up big time with Coach Long, was too tough on the offense and Guidry has the same temperament as Long. Willie has built an easy family atmosphere, to bring in someone again like Long would not be good. Hope my feelings are totally wrong just like others discussions should be factual and constructive. Guidry is an excellent coach as his record proves but chemistry between players and coaches are of the utmost importance. Long was a good coach but did not have chemistry with Pratt and the offense.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Greeniegb wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:07 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:57 am

I trust Willie also but he is not perfect and messed up big time with Coach Long, was too tough on the offense and Guidry has the same temperament as Long. Willie has built an easy family atmosphere, to bring in someone again like Long would not be good. Hope my feelings are totally wrong just like others discussions should be factual and constructive. Guidry is an excellent coach as his record proves but chemistry between players and coaches are of the utmost importance. Long was a good coach but did not have chemistry with Pratt and the offense.
That same argument can be made for hiring anyone in any field of business. The strength in a great leader is knowing you’d made a mistake admitting it and cutting your loss quickly. This is why Willie Fritz has had geat success. If Guidry doesn’t pan out he’ll be out the door just as Long was. When you go 12-2 win the Cotton Bowl , up for National coach of the year, finish in the top 10 you have to feel great about things. Especially at Tulane it doesn’t get any better than that for 98% D1’s. .
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

Well posters were having questions why McNeese left him go after winning, and he coached a year or less under Frank Scelfo at Southeastern, may have nothing to do with coaching could be character issues why he keeps moving on. He swore to Western Kentucky he was there to stay then moved on. Great coach but we do not want to mess up the chemistry of our defense with character issues. Hope not!!! One mistake but 3 DWI how many other times did not get caught!!!
McNeese let him go for a few reasons. First was the team was underachieving in his 3 seasons. Second was the type of players he coached were not doing well in school and they got in academic probation, Third was he seemed to be the type who's more of coordinator than a head coach. He's been a great coordinator everywhere he's been. He also left Frank Scelfo after a year after he got an offer to re-join Willie Taggart at Florida Atlantic which is a FBS school compared to SE Louisiana FCS.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I am hopeful Coach Guidry has gotten the help and support he needs to beat "the bottle"...it is not an easy battle, but the longer you are sober, the easier it is to say no.... I have no idea how many months, days or years I have been free from the bottle...I do not look in the rear view, but thru the windshield.. I know for certain I was sober yesterday, and have all intentions on being sober today, and for the rest of my life ....Coach Sark @ UT was a drunk. he took a look in the mirror, and hated what he saw....many do not like Nick Saban, but he supported Sark when he needed it... I am hopeful, Fritz will be Guidry's Saban... Coach, feel free to contact me, if ya need to talk.....
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well said golf. He's a good coach and should do well here.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Tulane1111
High Tide

Rose up to DC quickly as DB coach…. did he play safety in college? Maybe he did as it said he was all time tackle leader….. i believe the current mount rushmore of D coaches were mostly safeties including Kirby Smart.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbg, since they didn't hire Lionel Washington are you going to be the thorn in Guidry's side the same way you foolishly argued for Pratt's job to be taken by Horton because of the spring game and some meaningless skills team competition? This incident was 12 years ago. Get a life!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
BC Wave
Swell

They are beyond us in thug baseball players, coaches and directors of baseball operations.