Houston Beats Tulane 80-60

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:03 am Chance at a magical moment:

https://www.nola.com/sports/rod_walker/ ... 7164c.html
Magic Moment with lyrics

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sion talks about playing the number 1 team in the country. Opportunity!

My concern is Coach Hunter called out Houston when he was introduced as Tulane's coach. He's put an X on his back, and the Cougars are not going to be surprised by Tulane.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:02 am Sion talks about playing the number 1 team in the country. Opportunity!

My concern is Coach Hunter called out Houston when he was introduced as Tulane's coach. He's put an X on his back, and the Cougars are not going to be surprised by Tulane.

ROLL WAVE!
Plus, “They eat steak after each win while we dine on pizza”. :lol:

Houston has beaten us by double digits each time since Hunter has been HC.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Tulane1111
High Tide

I believe when Fogelman is packed full it is a really good shooters gym, lets see tonight could be a high scoring game.
Show Me
Tsunami

Team has no energy tonight. Houston not as good as advertised.
Tulane1111
High Tide

They shot 50% from three, 80% in first 10 mins… 80% FG in first 10 mins as well, too much to overcome… Do they shoot like that all the time? On the road even, very impressive.

Unfortunately for them they will not get those calls in NCAA tourney, bit suspect, refs decided not to call the reach in & their blocks are all non fouls & ours were all fouls and 1’s…

Seems we may finally be more athletic than they are, impressed by our athleticism tonight as compared to the past against them.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We got smoked. Yes, the refs let a whole lot of crap go, mostly on them. (How about an over the back call?) They convincingly beat us with both shooters and inside power, not to mention great D.
RobertM320
Green Wave

That freshman Parker is the real deal. Several serious NBA type turnaround baseline jumpers. And Sasser will be playing at the next level as well.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
OUG
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:40 pm Team has no energy tonight. Houston not as good as advertised.
Houston not as good as advertised?

Lol what game did you watch
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Houston is the real deal. They are very athletic and long. They can shoot the lights out. We played hard and did our best for a long time to make it a game. We got worn down and that led to the final margin. We missed a lot of open 3's. Have to regroup and get back on another winning streak.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:23 pm That freshman Parker is the real deal. Several serious NBA type turnaround baseline jumpers. And Sasser will be playing at the next level as well.
They don't have anyone named Parker. Maybe you're talking about Roberts?
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

3-point shooting was the biggest difference in the game. Wave had to shoot above 40% to have a chance. Turnovers too. Sucks, but hope it's a learning experience for the team.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:59 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:23 pm That freshman Parker is the real deal. Several serious NBA type turnaround baseline jumpers. And Sasser will be playing at the next level as well.
They don't have anyone named Parker. Maybe you're talking about Roberts?
Jarace Walker. My bad.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

OUG wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:26 pm
Show Me wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:40 pm Team has no energy tonight. Houston not as good as advertised.

Sweet 16 at best. We are a poorly coached team. Our talent level is not 20pts different. I can’t believe we tried to out 3pt them when our game is going inside. Cook struggling was the biggest reason we got beat. UCF gave Houston a better game. The Cougars just have Hunters number. They defend well whereas we don’t. They had open 3’s and knocked them down. They were off for 5 days straight and studied film on us. Whereas we’ve played a few games in 6 days or so. We faded at the end because we were tired. No fault of the kids. For most of the game Houston looked beatable. Only when we got tired did they pull away. The league is weak this year so they may win out but I’d be surprised to see them in the Final 4 this year.
Moral victory for Hunter as he was happy with the way we played. :cry:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:24 pm

Sweet 16 at best. We are a poorly coached team. Our talent level is not 20pts different. I can’t believe we tried to out 3pt them when our game is going inside. Cook struggling was the biggest reason we got beat. UCF gave Houston a better game. The Cougars just have Hunters number. They defend well whereas we don’t. They had open 3’s and knocked them down. They were off for 5 days straight and studied film on us. Whereas we’ve played a few games in 6 days or so. We faded at the end because we were tired. No fault of the kids. For most of the game Houston looked beatable. Only when we got tired did they pull away. The league is weak this year so they may win out but I’d be surprised to see them in the Final 4 this year.
Man do you have an axe to grind.

Houston has draftable talent at three positions, including a senior all American guard and a one and done lottery pick — and all of them absolutely looked the part of a top 5 team nationally today. On top of that they are extremely well coached.

Hunter has this team playing good basketball. It was only a twenty point margin because of the shooting differential, but don’t kid yourself for a second — Houston is a much better team that’s going to go through this league like a knife through butter on way to a 1-seed.
Show Me
Tsunami

OUG wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:20 am

Man do you have an axe to grind.

Houston has draftable talent at three positions, including a senior all American guard and a one and done lottery pick — and all of them absolutely looked the part of a top 5 team nationally today. On top of that they are extremely well coached.

Hunter has this team playing good basketball. It was only a twenty point margin because of the shooting differential, but don’t kid yourself for a second — Houston is a much better team that’s going to go through this league like a knife through butter on way to a 1-seed.
No doubt Houston has talent. My frustration lies with Hunter. When he was hired the first words out of his mouth besides he’d walk on water in the lake if he had a losing season was that he was coming for Houston. Well we haven’t made up a inch against them as we suffer another 9th straight double digit loss. The best thing for him is that they won’t face off again until perhaps the AAC tournament and after that who knows. I think he’s brought enough talent to compete better than a 20pt loss. My axe to grind is that foolishly I took Tulane and the points at home so shame on me.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We play at Houston on 2-22.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Lol what game did you watch?
I'm not buying that Tulane had no energy or came out flat at all. They were outplayed, plain and simple. By a much better team. Houston typically plays a much slower, more deliberate game than what they played last night. They showed they could beat you (and had more talent) playing their way or our way. They have better shooters and defend a whole lot better than we do. I don't know if they're the best team in the country, but they're certainly among the best and will go deep in the dance.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave drops to #100 in the NET
4th in the AAC in NET
https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2023/net
Houston like the old women’s UCONN. Everyone else playing for 2nd place.

“500 or so students got turned away”
“We got tired, we were dead tired”
“We wanted to use our time outs to rest”
“The best is yet to come with this program “
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
BC Wave
Swell

We tried going inside but could not get clear shots.
Too many clean blocks, not counting those defended with contact.
TURVS71
Swell

Houston was definitely superior in athleticism and quickness. Our shooting was not that great but that's what a good, quick, athletic defense does....causes you to take bad shots. We also, went "cold" somewhat starting around the middle of the 2nd half. I expected a better game although not a victory....20 point loss doesn't look good...
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Pepper
Swell

Houston has superior talent. End of story. Kids played hard, hopefully we will be able to string together a winning streak.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
anEngineer
Riptide

Aside from the obvious talent on the Houston team, they had 1 game in the 6 days leading up to playing us. We had 2 games in that same span. In the post game, Coach Hunter said he thought we looked tired after we got it down to 5 points. Twenty years ago, I remember Dick Vitale saying when a team comes back from a big deficit, they often don't have the energy left to finish it off.