Lance Guidry - New Defensive Coordinator - Heads to Miami

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Last edited by winwave on Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Greeniegb
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:05 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:36 am
Bigschtick wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am Looks to be an excellent choice!
The one question I have...he had 3 good years at McNeese State, they were in the top 25...and his contract was not renewed....What's up with that
I noticed that as well. Seems strange for a winning coach to be let go like that.
Big issues, and big mistake another snub of Coach Washington, this one will come back to haunt Willie!!!
Big side business with twitter, is his focus on coaching or his twitter business???

re: Lance Guidry Out At McNeesePosted on 11/24/18 at 6:01 pm to Cowboyfan89
quote:
Oh, so you are familiar with Doc and his band of sunshine pumpers on the Geaux Cowboys page, huh? Lol!

Those guys make me irrationally mad sometimes. They have a lot of nerve telling people they don't have the right to complain if they don't go to meetings. Another coach Long, one and out!!!
Last edited by Greeniegb on Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:22 pm This is from an article about Frank Wilson leaving a couple of seasons after Guidry got fired:

"Wilson came to town as the man who would lead McNeese State football through the darkness of academic probation and a playoff ban but had to go through so much more, starting with a pandemic that shut down a season."

Seems those issues, academic probation and playoff ban, stemmed from Guidry's time as coach.
Attached is a 2018 article in The DailyIberian announcing Guidry's firing. A bit "cryptic" but suggesting he was let go after McNeese State lost 4 of its last 5 games for that year? https://www.thedailyiberian.com/sports/ ... 37299.html

And I agree, he should be good for Louisiana & Texas recruiting. :D
Greeniegb
Swell

Dupergreenie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:40 am
Greeniegb wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:37 pm Lionel as a recruiter locked in the river Parishes getting 4-star recruit Darius Monroe to recommit from Texas A&M to come to Tulane, and cornerback Jordan Baptise from Ole Miss to Tulane. Perry Nickerson was another star recruit, Lorenzo Doss credits Lionel with getting him into the NFL!!! As a coach and recruiter that's proven no one out there could possibly take this talented defense to the next level and bring in more talent. Age is 61 so he could finish his coaching career alongside Coach Fritz and we would not have to worry that some other school will take him away.
we would not have to worry that some other school will take him away.

This is some ignorant thinking and what led Tulane to suffer under scelfo. Having coaches poached means that you are having success.
You miss the point if Coach Washington came out of retirement it would only be for Tulane, not interested in any other jobs, can't believe how dense some of you guys are!!!
greenie78
Riptide

Marshall had the best G5 defense in the country based on college football reference. Their offense was horrendous, but they still finished 8-4. I'm from Lake Charles where McNeese is, but I'm not sure what happened during his time there.
greenie78
Riptide

My guess on why he got let go from McNeese was based on wins and losses. Prior to him being there, McNeese was a consistent playoff team and Guidry never took McNeese to the playoffs during his 3 years.
Greeniegb
Swell

Dupergreenie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:12 pm
The one question I have...he had 3 good years at McNeese State, they were in the top 25...and his contract was not renewed....What's up with that
I noticed that as well. Seems strange for a winning coach to be let go like that.
Seems strange for a winning coach to be let go like that.

I believe that there may have been an off the field issue or two which had him go look for a change of scenery.
https://peopleai.com/fame/identities/lance-guidry
Greeniegb
Swell

Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:05 pm
Big issues, and big mistake another snub of Coach Washington, this one will come back to haunt Willie!!!
Big side business with twitter, is his focus on coaching or his twitter business???

quote:
Oh, so you are familiar with Doc and his band of sunshine pumpers on the Geaux Cowboys page, huh? Lol!

Those guys make me irrationally mad sometimes. They have a lot of nerve telling people they don't have the right to complain if they don't go to meetings. Another coach Long, one and out!!!

https://www.irishcentral.com/sports/usa ... -238164281
Dupergreenie
Surge

Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:33 pm
Dupergreenie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:40 am
Greeniegb wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:37 pm Lionel as a recruiter locked in the river Parishes getting 4-star recruit Darius Monroe to recommit from Texas A&M to come to Tulane, and cornerback Jordan Baptise from Ole Miss to Tulane. Perry Nickerson was another star recruit, Lorenzo Doss credits Lionel with getting him into the NFL!!! As a coach and recruiter that's proven no one out there could possibly take this talented defense to the next level and bring in more talent. Age is 61 so he could finish his coaching career alongside Coach Fritz and we would not have to worry that some other school will take him away.
we would not have to worry that some other school will take him away.

This is some ignorant thinking and what led Tulane to suffer under scelfo. Having coaches poached means that you are having success.
You miss the point if Coach Washington came out of retirement it would only be for Tulane, not interested in any other jobs, can't believe how dense some of you guys are!!!
I have no desire to hire an old coach who wanted the head coaching job at one point and has no ambition to better himself. Tulane already has the 'old guy coach' in fritz. If Fritz has to hire new coordinators every year or two because they are moving up in jobs then it means that something is going well.....
Dave breslin
Swell

No playoff appearances equals no job. That’s reality unless you are named Cowen
anEngineer
Riptide

Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:05 pm Big issues, and big mistake another snub of Coach Washington, this one will come back to haunt Willie!!!

quote:

What in the world is the matter with you? All indications are that Coach Washington is retired by choice and has no desire to return to coaching. Do you think he should be forced to coach? What is your problem!!?.
Wave755
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:06 pm No playoff appearances equals no job. That’s reality unless you are named Cowen
And please recall, former A. D. Rick "Tricky Dick" Dickson echoed this sentiment when he publicly pronounced, "Tulane does not judge its program based on wins and losses." :D :lol: :clap:
Ruski
Swell

I like all of this.

Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:08 am Louisiana native Lance Guidry may have the inside track for the DC Job
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Guidry
Good call!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:54 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:05 pm

quote:

https://www.irishcentral.com/sports/usa ... -238164281
gbg, your guy Lionel didn't get the job. So now you're quoting yourself and going off on the most successful coach Tulane has had in any of our lifetimes. Please accept that LW is not going to be our DC and move on, rather than blow up the board with your copied/pasted/repasted/repasted bs. Guidry has worked and done a fine job elsewhere and checks off every box other than "gbg's preferred DC". And that box might not have been on Fritz's checklist.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

Mods merge this thread.
Tulane1111
High Tide

How is he on 3rd and 4th and long? good to get fresh perspective there.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulane1111 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:20 pm How is he on 3rd and 4th and long? good to get fresh perspective there.
His team was ranked very high on 3rd down efficiency, something like top 10 in FBS. edit: They were first, according to the tweet earlier in this thread!
Last edited by DfromCT on Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:05 pm Big issues, and big mistake another snub of Coach Washington, this one will come back to haunt Willie!!!

quote:

What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Willie knows what he is doing a whole hell of a lot more than you or any of us do. Fuck off, for real.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Pepper
Swell

Very solid hire. His defense at Marshall was outstanding and has Louisiana/SE Texas ties in recruiting.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Jaxwave
Swell

Nola big Steve, I don’t want to sound righteous but can we keep the comments clean, please.
Greeniegb
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:08 pm

quote:

What in the world is the matter with you? All indications are that Coach Washington is retired by choice and has no desire to return to coaching. Do you think he should be forced to coach? What is your problem!!?.
What is your problem???
“I’m just sitting here in the house all day watching television and I never used to watch television. I’m trying to figure out what’s going to be my next move.”
At 61, Washington’s next move won’t be as a player but the coaching-bug has taken a big chunk out of the Lutcher, Louisiana native. He’s coached (23 years) longer than he played (21 years) the game. And if you think there’s a difference between Lionel Washington the player and Lionel Washington the coach, think again.

“I immersed myself into coaching the same way I immersed myself into playing. I wanted to be the best position coach I could be, the best coordinator I could be – a leader and a great example for these young kids.”

A member of the Allstate Sugar Bowl Greater New Orleans and the Louisiana Sports Halls of Fame, he loves coaching at the collegiate and professional levels. His first experience as a coordinator came during a six-year run at his alma mater, Tulane.

“I fell in love with college coaching. They are like sponges, they want to learn, they want to get where you have been so they ask a lot of questions.”

https://crescentcitysports.com/lionel-w ... yer-coach/
Greeniegb
Swell

Just a thought, Guidry's hire was quick for Coach Fritz, could the change had been coming after the Cotton Bowl. Either Willie wanted to move on and improve the defense or Hampton already was moving on but wanted to wait until after the Cotton Bowl.
Ruski
Swell

With a name like Guidry, I was wondering if he has a thick Cajun accent. Seems like it only comes in a little bit.

Still great to get a Louisiana guy on the staff who can keep more guys in-state! He seems quite likeable

Ruski
Swell

The view from Marshall fans; basically all in unison that Guidry is a good coach and are upset to lose him. Quite a few are surprised that Marshall would lose a coach to Tulane. #P6

https://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index. ... c=115155.0