Lance Guidry - New Defensive Coordinator - Heads to Miami

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Greeniegb
Swell

Calling Coach Fritz very successful former Defensive Coach and player is itching to get back into coaching after one year off. Dedicated Tulane background as a player and coach, please give him a call for an interview.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/wome ... ington/330

A native of nearby Lutcher, Washington spent 27 years in the NFL as a player or coach, all on the defensive side of the football. He played 15 seasons in the NFL as a defensive back and was a secondary coach for 12 years following retirement. He was inducted into both the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame and Greater New Orleans Sports Hall of Fame in 2014.

-In three seasons of leading the Green Wave defense, two Tulane defenders have been selected in the NFL Draft- Lorenzo Doss and Taurean Nixon in 2015- while three other players signed as free agents with NFL teams, including Derrick Strozier, Jordan Sullen and Julius Warmsley.

-On the field, Washington’s defensive units have forced 87 turnovers (51 interceptions/26 fumble recoveries) in 37 games and annually ranks among the nation’s stingiest defense’s.

-Tulane’s 2014 unit forced 28 turnovers (17 interceptions/11 fumble recoveries) and ranked among the nation’s top defensive units in red zone defense (second), interceptions (13th), tackles for loss (19th), turnovers gained (21st) and fumble recoveries (38th).

-Redshirt-freshman Parry Nickerson led the team and the nation’s freshmen with six interceptions and became the third defensive back under Washington’s tutelage to earn All-America honors with his selection as a First-Team Freshman All-American.

-The Tulane defense had an outstanding 2013 campaign under Washington, as the team was second in the nation in turnovers forced with 35 (16 fumble recoveries and 19 interceptions). The 19 interceptions ranked as sixth in the nation, while the 16 fumble recoveries were good for fourth in the NCAA.

-Additionally, the defensive unit allowed just 352.1 yards per game, ranking 22nd overall in the nation in total defense. The defense totalled 2.92 sacks per game, good for 13 in the nation, while the red zone defense was ranked 11th in the NCAA.

frpaulnola
Ripple

Yes!!!! Please!!! Great post! Bring on Lionel!
Roll Wave!
A&S '83
Instructor @ TU 2005
Greeniegb
Swell

frpaulnola wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:47 am Yes!!!! Please!!! Great post! Bring on Lionel!
Sent to Troy and Coach Fritz, hope they don't ignore, was pulling for Coach Washington before Coach Hampton. Lionel took a year off ready to return to coaching.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LW attended multiple games this past season. Hopefully he’s interested.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I hope WF at least interviews LW.... I would be surprised, if WF hires him
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dave breslin
Swell

LW was always a class act and coached up players from what I saw. Good luck and seems to be a good fit
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If he promotes Mutz he could hire LW back as the DB's coach.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
bbos1
Ripple

I had a very brief conversation with LW in Dallas at the Gaylord. He is enjoying retirement and came to see the game as a very interested alumnus. Would be nice if we could drag him from retirement back to TU either as a coordinator or position coach. He is a loyal Tulane man at heart.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

I have 100% confidence in who coach Fritz hires. He's been a college head coach for 30 years!
Ruski
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:07 am LW attended multiple games this past season. Hopefully he’s interested.
So was Coach O :evil:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:32 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:07 am LW attended multiple games this past season. Hopefully he’s interested.
So was Coach O :evil:
Well LW was also at Tailgate Village
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

Lionel as a recruiter locked in the river Parishes getting 4-star recruit Darius Monroe to recommit from Texas A&M to come to Tulane, and cornerback Jordan Baptise from Ole Miss to Tulane. Perry Nickerson was another star recruit, Lorenzo Doss credits Lionel with getting him into the NFL!!! As a coach and recruiter that's proven no one out there could possibly take this talented defense to the next level and bring in more talent. Age is 61 so he could finish his coaching career alongside Coach Fritz and we would not have to worry that some other school will take him away.
wave97
Swell

Greeniegb wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:37 pm Lionel as a recruiter locked in the river Parishes getting 4-star recruit Darius Monroe to recommit from Texas A&M to come to Tulane, and cornerback Jordan Baptise from Ole Miss to Tulane. Perry Nickerson was another star recruit, Lorenzo Doss credits Lionel with getting him into the NFL!!! As a coach and recruiter that's proven no one out there could possibly take this talented defense to the next level and bring in more talent. Age is 61 so he could finish his coaching career alongside Coach Fritz and we would not have to worry that some other school will take him away.
Lionel made Curtis look good for a couple of years. Eventually he ran out of Lionel's players.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Louisiana native Lance Guidry may have the inside track for the DC Job
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Guidry
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:08 am Louisiana native Lance Guidry may have the inside track for the DC Job
I hope we can offer enough to get him from Marshall. Do you have any inside info, 'nut? Are we interviewing him?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:13 am
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:08 am Louisiana native Lance Guidry may have the inside track for the DC Job
I hope we can offer enough to get him from Marshall. Do you have any inside info, 'nut? Are we interviewing him?
He’d probably like to come back home. Money should not be a problem.
Tulane Class of 1981
Dupergreenie
Surge

Greeniegb wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:37 pm Lionel as a recruiter locked in the river Parishes getting 4-star recruit Darius Monroe to recommit from Texas A&M to come to Tulane, and cornerback Jordan Baptise from Ole Miss to Tulane. Perry Nickerson was another star recruit, Lorenzo Doss credits Lionel with getting him into the NFL!!! As a coach and recruiter that's proven no one out there could possibly take this talented defense to the next level and bring in more talent. Age is 61 so he could finish his coaching career alongside Coach Fritz and we would not have to worry that some other school will take him away.
we would not have to worry that some other school will take him away.

This is some ignorant thinking and what led Tulane to suffer under scelfo. Having coaches poached means that you are having success.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Per Pete Thamel:

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

From golfnut's lips to God's ears! Should be great for in-state recruiting.

Welcome Lance!

ROLL WAVE!
Bigschtick
Riptide

Looks to be an excellent choice!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am Looks to be an excellent choice!
The one question I have...he had 3 good years at McNeese State, they were in the top 25...and his contract was not renewed....What's up with that
anEngineer
Riptide

Congratulations to us for getting him. Congratulations to him for getting the hell out of Marshall.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:36 am
The one question I have...he had 3 good years at McNeese State, they were in the top 25...and his contract was not renewed....What's up with that
I noticed that as well. Seems strange for a winning coach to be let go like that.
Dupergreenie
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:05 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:36 am
I noticed that as well. Seems strange for a winning coach to be let go like that.
Seems strange for a winning coach to be let go like that.

I believe that there may have been an off the field issue or two which had him go look for a change of scenery.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This is from an article about Frank Wilson leaving a couple of seasons after Guidry got fired:

"Wilson came to town as the man who would lead McNeese State football through the darkness of academic probation and a playoff ban but had to go through so much more, starting with a pandemic that shut down a season."

Seems those issues, academic probation and playoff ban, stemmed from Guidry's time as coach.