Cotton Bowl TV ratings hit record

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

Low

But some good comments here:
Most of the potential viewer’s probably attended the game in person. Plus we were up against two other games of interest LSU and Mike Leach Miss St tribute game.

Rose Bowl and Cotton hit historic lows; Gator soars
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/0 ... otre-dame/

RobertM320
Green Wave

Now do how many times the Cotton Bowl has been REWATCHED compared to the other two.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Question: How are viewership numbers affected by streamers?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I’d bet the Cotton Bowl was the most watched bowl for its time slot. If there are two other games at the same time then that will naturally divide the viewership. Back in the day there weren’t any games opposite.
People that weren’t tuned in missed out of a great game. Robert you’re right. I watch the stream ending reply at least once a day.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

If the Cotton Bowl had been played on Jan 1, the ratings would have been much higher. Even though Jan 2 was the official holiday from work, most people see that as a bonus day and aren't going to sit around the house pretending it's New Years Day again.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Unfortunately it hurts us no matter how one tries to paint it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:39 am If the Cotton Bowl had been played on Jan 1, the ratings would have been much higher. Even though Jan 2 was the official holiday from work, most people see that as a bonus day and aren't going to sit around the house pretending it's New Years Day again.
The games were played on the 2nd, so there was no conflict with the "nfl sunday games"...that is the only reason....l also note that the cotton or any of the other college games could have been played at nite,,,but alas, the nfl had Monday nite booked, so all of the college games were cramped together
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:48 am
anEngineer wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:39 am If the Cotton Bowl had been played on Jan 1, the ratings would have been much higher. Even though Jan 2 was the official holiday from work, most people see that as a bonus day and aren't going to sit around the house pretending it's New Years Day again.
The games were played on the 2nd, so there was no conflict with the "nfl sunday games"...that is the only reason....l also note that the cotton or any of the other college games could have been played at nite,,,but alas, the nfl had Monday nite booked, so all of the college games were cramped together
My point is that the calendar just fell wrong with the 1st being on a Sunday. If the 1st had been on a weekday and the game played on that day while everyone is just sitting around recovering from the night before and eating the last of the holiday leftovers, the ratings would have been better for all of the Jan 2 games.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

As far as the Cotton Bowl ratings go, all the focus is on Tulane being in the bowl, but I bet there were hardly any LA eyeballs on the game. I'd love to know what the Cotton Bowl rating was for the SoCal market.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Robert1969
Riptide

It was a record low. But at 4,165,000 it was the most highly rated Tulane game in my 53 years. It also out-rated the LSU Citrus Bowl game by about 800,000 viewers. USC was likely the reason for the low rating because their fans were disappointed about playing Tulane.

Anyway, Roll Wave!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:30 pm It was a record low. But at 4,165,000 it was the most highly rated Tulane game in my 53 years. It also out-rated the LSU Citrus Bowl game by about 800,000 viewers. USC was likely the reason for the low rating because their fans were disappointed about playing Tulane.

Anyway, Roll Wave!
Also keep in mind, this was one of the few times that a NY6 bowl had another bowl competing for viewership. And of course, it had to be LSU. If that had been South Carolina and Purdue, we'd have had much more of the state of LA market watching.

I remember growing up, it was Sugar and Cotton on at 12:45pm CT, Rose at 3:45, Orange at 6:45 and no other games (this was the 60s and 70s). In the 70s there were a couple of years where the Sugar moved their game to New Years Eve, and then after that, the Fiesta and Peach became elevated to major status, the proliferation of bowls and the influence of TV moved everything around. But there's still rarely a game at the same time as the Rose or Orange.
anEngineer
Riptide

Any time the New Years Day bowls are not on Jan 1, it's going to have lower ratings. Millions of Americans sit around the house on New Years Day to eat, celebrate the new year and watch TV (football). When it's on Jan 2, people have already done that all day yesterday. Most will watch TV all day but many will choose to do something else.