Willie Fritz is 5-1 so far at Ga. Southern this year(Sunbelt)

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Fritz

2014 record
9–3 (8–0 Sun Belt)

Head coach
Willie Fritz (1st year)

The 2014 Georgia Southern Eagles football team represented Georgia Southern University in the 2014 NCAA Division I FBS football season. They were led by first year head coach Willie Fritz and played their home games at Paulson Stadium. They were first year members of the Sun Belt Conference. In their second year of the FCS to FBS transition, the Eagles were eligible for the conference championship; however, they were not bowl-eligible.

The Eagles finished their inaugural FBS season 9–3 and were undefeated in Sun Belt Conference play at 8–0, clinching the conference championship outright. Additionally, with their victory over Georgia State, the Eagles posted their 300th win in the modern era of Georgia Southern football.[1] The Eagles became only the third team ever to win a conference title in its first FBS season, after Nevada in 1992 (Big West Conference) and Marshall in 1997 (Mid-American Conference).[citation needed] They were also the first team ever to go unbeaten in conference play in their first FBS season.[2] Georgia Southern athletic director Tom Kleinlein filed for a postseason waiver to allow the Eagles to play in a bowl game; however, the NCAA denied Georgia Southern's wavier request and a subsequent appeal due to a sufficient number of "full FBS members" becoming bowl-eligible during the season.[

Aberzombie1892
Swell

You think we should I hire him? No way. Give us Ken Briles.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:You think we should I hire him? No way. Give us Ken Briles.
Do U actually think Art Briles would allow his Son to leave Baylor for Tulane ... I am bettin' the water on the Brazos River turns red before that happens ... Art Briles from his days at Houston knows the Tulane model all too well...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:You think we should I hire him? No way. Give us Ken Briles.
Do U actually think Art Briles would allow his Son to leave Baylor for Tulane ... I am bettin' the water on the Brazos River turns red before that happens ... Art Briles from his days at Houston knows the Tulane model all too well...
Of course not, but hiring a spread coach makes more sense than a triple option coach every day of the week. Maybe we can hire any coach from TCU or Baylor - hell, I'd take the offensive coordinator for Texas Tech or Oklahoma. Basically, cutting edge spread offense is the future (since top notch defenses can't stop it - see cotton and peach bowls last year and Baylor vs. West VA this year), and, as such, it doesn't make sense to waste time seeking triple option or pro style coaches.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Of course not, but hiring a spread coach makes more sense than a triple option coach every day of the week. Maybe we can hire any coach from TCU or Baylor - hell, I'd take the offensive coordinator for Texas Tech or Oklahoma. Basically, cutting edge spread offense is the future (since top notch defenses can't stop it - see cotton and peach bowls last year and Baylor vs. West VA this year), and, as such, it doesn't make sense to waste time seeking triple option or pro style coaches.
I agree...U need only look as far as TCU ... since they installed a spread with a QB that can keep you honest with his feet they have become a national force...one of the O guys there is an ex Texas Tech QB Sonny Cumbie ... I still give Hal Mumme loads of credit for "inventing" the spread and one of his long time assistant's for giving it a great deal of exposure...that would be Mike Leach, who was an assistant to Mumme at three coaching stops, Iowa Westleyan,,, Valdosta State and Kentucky, before he went to Oklahoma and then Texas Tech
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

We need a HEAD coach.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:We need a HEAD coach.
If we hire a pro style coach, we will be having this same conversation in three years.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

Everything You Should Know About Special Teams by Coach Willie Fritz
https://americanfootballmonthly.secureo ... php?id=710

Dec. 21, 2009
SHSU Media Contacts: Paul Ridings, Jennifer Gauntt
Willie Fritz met with the media on Monday as SHSU announced on Friday that he would replace Todd Whitten as the Bearkat football head coach.
Willie Fritz, who has produced an overall record of 220 victories and 66 losses in a 28-year career as both a head coach and an assistant, will become the 14th head football coach at Sam Houston State University.
Bobby Williams, Sam Houston director of athletics, officially welcomed Fritz as the Bearkat football head coach during a press conference on Monday (Dec. 21) morning.
"I can’t tell you how pleased I am personally to have Coach Fritz here," said university President Jim Gaertner. "He’s been successful everywhere he’s been. He knows Sam Houston, he went over to Blinn and won two consecutive national championships over there, went up to Missouri and just really turned the program around. I’ve been told that when he was here coaching our special teams is when we started blocking kicks.
DrBox
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
If we hire a pro style coach, we will be having this same conversation in three years.
Probably. But not necessarily.
If they go out and nationally recruit OL, they would win with pro style.
We have 4 OL on the entire team who have FBS talent. (presuming the ones playing are our best OL).
Need a top OL and a pinpoint passer.
TCU didn't need a spread when they had a pinpoint passer like Dalton. But once they lost him, their O went south..
Eaglewave
Swell

Tulane needs an experienced veteran that still believes he has fuel in his coaching tank to win games and change the culture. We don't need a young gun who will be gone after 2 good seasons.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote:Tulane needs an experienced veteran that still believes he has fuel in his coaching tank to win games and change the culture. We don't need a young gun who will be gone after 2 good seasons.
If this is the case.. I vote for Mike Bellotti !!!!....That said, I will give you a few names that may surface... former Tulane Assistant Bob Davie...former Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DrBox wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Probably. But not necessarily.
If they go out and nationally recruit OL, they would win with pro style.
We have 4 OL on the entire team who have FBS talent. (presuming the ones playing are our best OL).
Need a top OL and a pinpoint passer.
TCU didn't need a spread when they had a pinpoint passer like Dalton. But once they lost him, their O went south..
Honestly, good pro style QBs are very rare, and, even if we landed a good one, in order to defeat opponents that use the spread (which is becoming more and more popular in the AAC), we would need our pro style QB to out score decent spread QBs. That's quite a tall task for even the best pro style QBs. Also, it's extraordinarily unlikely that we will have a top OL that's two deep in the foreseeable future, as it's difficult to put together a top OL outside of the highest profile P5 schools. As such, the pro style system likely won't ever work for us (for at least a decade) and the spread is virtually our only option.

I support hiring an offensive coordinator from a spread P5 (i.e. TCU) or a head coach from a spread G5 (i.e. Bowling Green).
sader24
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote:Tulane needs an experienced veteran that still believes he has fuel in his coaching tank to win games and change the culture. We don't need a young gun who will be gone after 2 good seasons.

So you want to go the Vince Gibson, Bob Toledo route instead of the Tommy Bowden route?? We need to hire the best coach possible and win NOW. I always find it comical when fans of a team that always loses are worried about a Coach leaving early because he wins. The path to relevance was there. Tommy Bowden 2 years, Rich Rodriguez 3 years, hire a good head coach and keep the ball rolling.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:

So you want to go the Vince Gibson, Bob Toledo route instead of the Tommy Bowden route?? We need to hire the best coach possible and win NOW. I always find it comical when fans of a team that always loses are worried about a Coach leaving early because he wins. The path to relevance was there. Tommy Bowden 2 years, Rich Rodriguez 3 years, hire a good head coach and keep the ball rolling.
Sader...Tulane CANNOT DO THAT....that is the same philosophy of a public commuter school uses...ya know, the one they call Boise State...a "Superior Institution" as some on this forum call it, cannot be lumped into using a program that is successful, unless they originate it...of course Tulane has not given much thought to athletics for 65 years, so athletic origination is not one it's strong suits
Profoundwizard
Swell

sader24 wrote:

+1 Sader, that's the attitude that got us Toledo. Wanting a guy who would stick around a while is also what got us CJ and Scelfo
Ernie McCracken
Ripple

CJ is entrenched at this point. The powers that be are pleased with the program, which has been transformed according to RD.
Wave QB
Swell

Interesting stuff.
DrBox
Riptide

Well, I think Tulane followed your command.
Eaglewave
Swell

DrBox wrote:

I will now renew my season tickets. Everyone who wanted a young gun will learn that this is a better option. A young gun would bounce at the first P5 offer available if they put together 9 game winning season at Tulane. At this point, we don't need a 1 or 2 hit wonder. That's not the way to change a losing culture. I believe that Fritz will put us in the 6 to 8 win category for the next 3 years. Next season, our schedule gives us a great chance to bring some hype back to Yulman. I will never forget what saw days before and the day of the Georgia Tech game in 2014. It's time to win in Yulman.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

DrBox wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:46 am
Dr. Box!!! It took some time, but my guy delivered a Cotton Bowl Trophy to our University to sit above his Cure and Armed Forces Bowl Trophies. He is the guy we needed at Tulane. Congratulations Coach Fritz!

Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:57 pm
golfnut69 wrote:

Its always fun to look back at posts from 8 years ago and see how they panned out. This one wanted to pass on Fritz, and hire Lincoln Riley instead!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:40 pm Tulane needs an experienced veteran that still believes he has fuel in his coaching tank to win games and change the culture. We don't need a young gun who will be gone after 2 good seasons.
Hmmm. Sounds like Willie Fritz. Great call, Eaglewave!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

If things don’t happen facility wise, remember,, I still have the name of the company that did our banner flyover!! Just saying’!
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:15 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:57 pm
golfnut69 wrote:

Its always fun to look back at posts from 8 years ago and see how they panned out. This one wanted to pass on Fritz, and hire Lincoln Riley instead!
That would've been cool too.