Tulane Beats USC 46-45 to win the Cotton Bowl!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

You may tear up watching some of this. We really have something special going on Willow St these days.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Lots of love expressed in that clip. Thanks, Tim.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:12 pm
Awesome
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

I just wanna keep soaking this feeling in, pun intended!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Driving home from the Cotton Bowl today, I listened to a lengthy interview with Willie Fritz on Sirius XM's ESPNU. No startling revelations but there were a couple of interesting quotes:
  • "I didn't ask anyone if they were going to play in the Cotton Bowl (to avoid the risk of injury prior to the NFL draft). I thought that would have been an insult to these young men after the season-long commitment they've shown."
  • "Yeah, we spent a lot of time preparing for that (likelihood of possessing the ball only 20 minutes compared to USC's 40". Fritz laughingly made this reply to the question that seemed pretty absurd. What coach would anticipate that?
  • Fritz also laughed off the suggestion that the team was looking for revenge for the bowl loss to USC in the 30s. "These players' fathers hadn't been born then."
  • The host (can't remember name) made a very interesting point: There have been a number of teams that enjoyed one great year and sank back into oblivion. You have to repeat it for a second year to be taken seriously. Then you have arrived."
  • The host also made the statement that "The average football fan doesn't know where Tulane is located...they're surprised to learn it's in Louisiana. Half the players from USC didn't know where Tulane was located"
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:06 pm Driving home from the Cotton Bowl today, I listened to a lengthy interview with Willie Fritz on Sirius XM's ESPNU. No startling revelations but there were a couple of interesting quotes:
  • "I didn't ask anyone if they were going to play in the Cotton Bowl (to avoid the risk of injury prior to the NFL draft). I thought that would have been an insult to these young men after the season-long commitment they've shown."
  • "Yeah, we spent a lot of time preparing for that (likelihood of possessing the ball only 20 minutes compared to USC's 40". Fritz laughingly made this reply to the question that seemed pretty absurd. What coach would anticipate that?
  • Fritz also laughed off the suggestion that the team was looking for revenge for the bowl loss to USC in the 30s. "These players' fathers hadn't been born then."
  • The host (can't remember name) made a very interesting point: There have been a number of teams that enjoyed one great year and sank back into oblivion. You have to repeat it for a second year to be taken seriously. Then you have arrived."
  • The host also made the statement that "The average football fan doesn't know where Tulane is located...they're surprised to learn it's in Louisiana. Half the players from USC didn't know where Tulane was located"
Just shows USC isn't the academic school they profess to be.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Nice!

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The TD with radio booth video...sorry if it has already been posted

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... p%3Bs%3D19
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:49 am The TD with radio booth video...sorry if it has already been posted

2 posts ahead of you
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

I had an opportunity to rewatch the game which I had DVR’ed. Listening to the announcers constantly fawning over Williams, I’m thinking we must have actually lost the game. RGIII and Caleb Williams should get a room.

Without the last 5 minutes of play, no one nationally would be able to identify the opponent for USC. History would remember this as the “Cotton Bowl” starring Caleb Williams.

Disregarding my snark, I would like to see Williams playing for the Saints.
swampnik
Surge

Quand c'est l'heure, c'etais l' heure pour la gloire. . Bravo et félicitations à notre Green Wave!
Last edited by swampnik on Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
anEngineer
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:33 am I had an opportunity to rewatch the game which I had DVR’ed. Listening to the announcers constantly fawning over Williams, I’m thinking we must have actually lost the game. RGIII and Caleb Williams should get a room.

Without the last 5 minutes of play, no one nationally would be able to identify the opponent for USC. History would remember this as the “Cotton Bowl” starring Caleb Williams.

Disregarding my snark, I would like to see Williams playing for the Saints.
There were definitely times during the game when significant plays were being run but they were just going on and on about nonsense like Williams' visit to LSU and Georgetown being involved in the slave trade. If the Saints got Williams, Sean Payton would be right behind.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:49 am The TD with radio booth video...sorry if it has already been posted

Thanks for the link. Great stuff.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Caleb Williams post-game interview on "disappointing loss" to Tulane.😢

Wave755
Tsunami

Dramatic last 5 minutes of game, a great video:

GreenLantern
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:20 am Dramatic last 5 minutes of game, a great video:

I can't stop watching this. It brings tears to my eyes every time.

Do you believe in miracles?
MicMan
Swell

After the last SC score I told my buddy we were going to score quick, get a 2-point conversion, recover the onsides kick and score again. Which we did, just not exactly that way.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

from the Sporting News...this may need to moved to "the Portal"
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... lfkrl2z85t
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
MicMan
Swell

At halftime on the Club level food court, I ran into two former Gumby mascots. It was a cheerleader reunion, as I wore my Tulane cheerleader jersey from 1983 (now it can be told: I was the original Mike Man). First they showed me a photo of the head from the first Gumby, now in a glass case at Bruno's Tavern. Had no idea about that. The other fellow then pulled out a worn oversized green glove, a hand from the Gumby costume, which he had brought for luck.

I knew right then and there we were going to win.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Consider the last Tulane play when Bauman caught the pass in the end zone that was ruled incomplete by the official: It wasn’t that the referee called it incomplete, he was dramatic and pounded the ground several times emphasizing his call. To this I say, WTH???

Clearly the ball never hit the ground and over 30 thousand Tulane fans knew it after watching the replay. Obviously the official never saw the ball contact the turf either. Acknowledging that he had to make a call in a fraction of a second, I am nevertheless confused. Lacking positive evidence otherwise, shouldn’t he have called the pass complete and allowed replay to adjudicate any correction?

If his call had been allowed to stand, 1) it would not only have been robbery and a mistake for the ages but 2)there would have been real trouble.

This would have been the end-of-the-game Tulaning to which we are all accustomed. I hope the official gets a very bad report card. He deserves it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Good interview with Corey Gloor today on Sirius XM radio. Ch 84 (ESPNU). Show is College Sports Today, with Rhett and EJ. Started around 11:32 to about 11:52 if anyone's interested in going back to listen.