Fritz DOESN'T take Georgia Tech job

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:21 pm
Wave755 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:59 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:56 pm If it took this unsettling trauma to get the school to wake up, great! For sake of continuity and keeping the program moving forward, I am glad he is staying!
And, it looks bad that whenever we have a good season the coach leaves, i.e. Larry Smith 1979/80, Tommy Bowden 1998.
You mean Rich Rodriguez?
Tommy left, Cowen “booted” RR.

Greeniegb
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:13 pm
Show Me wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:01 pm
posse wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:51 pm
Hey winwave !!! SCREW YOU......I hope Willie got a big raise for him and his staff, concessions on recruiting and a commitment for updating facilities. This type scenario is the only way we get Tulane Administration to do something for Athletics...
Exactly what I was thinking
If only anybody cared what you thought.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FiwtSJaWIAE ... me=900x900
Greeniegb
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:11 pm
posse wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:51 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:17 pm So Willie struck out again. I hope TD didn't get fleeced again.

Now on to 1-0!
Hey winwave !!! SCREW YOU......I hope Willie got a big raise for him and his staff, concessions on recruiting and a commitment for updating facilities. This type scenario is the only way we get Tulane Administration to do something for Athletics...
FU too! Willie soured what should have been a great week. I hope the staff gets raises and donors step up for facilities. But we've been down this road a few times now and that hasn't happened.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Willie being mentioned for Stanford. :?
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/S ... 18819/Amp/
Stanford is a no-frills job, and it is harder to get more "no-frills" than a coach from a service academy. Tulane's Fritz, meanwhile, just led the Green Wave to their best season since the 1990s, posting a 10-2 record and securing homefield advantage in the American Athletic Conference Championship Game. Tulane has a good shot at making a New Year's Six Bowl, as well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

I know we are all old here but surely y’all can see the difference in the green on that tweet

Don’t fleece yourself when the fleece gets fleecing
Dave breslin
Swell

We are in a good situation when we have a coach that others want. Having one that no one wants means we have a crappy team. Better to have the good looking girlfriend as opposed to the other. Hopefully that doesn’t offend the “new” generation.s political correctness. P.S. Stanford would want a wide open offense minded coach for the PAC Whatever number they are
RobertM320
Green Wave

1989alum wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:10 pm That can't be correct. Tulane would never and does not have to discuss salary levels as a private university.
"Does not have to" =/= "would never".
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Greeniegb
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:20 pm
1989alum wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:10 pm That can't be correct. Tulane would never and does not have to discuss salary levels as a private university.
"Does not have to" =/= "would never".
How much did Fritz make in his contract extension?
However, it has been reported that Fritz made $1.6 million in 2019. For what it’s worth, his extension likely pays more. The Green Wave are also secretive about the salary pool for assistants, but as Tulane has invested in better facilities and a proper stadium it’s safe to say that they’re not afraid to spend on a better program.
wave97
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:15 pm
Wave755 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:59 pm
And, it looks bad that whenever we have a good season the coach leaves, i.e. Larry Smith 1979/80, Tommy Bowden 1998.
You mean Rich Rodriguez?
Do you think Tommy would have been hired by Clemson after two years at Tulane without the achievement of Rich Rodriguez & the RPO offense? In the 1999 season there was a bumrush of RPO implementation.
Even today the RPO is utilized in the NFL.
It all started on Willow St.
This success is of a very different type than a transformative offensive scheme. This was a slow build of culture and expectations. The very kind of build that is an anathema to the "pay me now motherfucker" shit show that has become college football.
Stay on it, Willie Fritz! You're a good man with a good program & that matters as college football devolves into pure popular entertainment.
May God help us all.
RobertM320
Green Wave

wave97 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:53 am
You mean Rich Rodriguez?
Do you think Tommy would have been hired by Clemson after two years at Tulane without the achievement of Rich Rodriguez & the RPO offense? In the 1999 season there was a bumrush of RPO implementation.
This success is of a very different type than a transformative offensive scheme. This was a slow build of culture and expectations. The very kind of build that is an anathema to the "pay me now motherfucker" shit show that has become college football.
Stay on it, Willie Fritz! You're a good man with a good program & that matters as college football devolves into pure popular entertainment.
May God help us all.
+1!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:25 am
wave97 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:53 am
May God help us all.
+1!
The above mentioned "O' actually started in 1989 at Iowa Wesleyan, it then moved to Valdosta State in 1992 and then onto Kentucky, all under Hal Mumme, who had an assistant named Mike Leach
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

The Air Raid (Run & Shoot), has no doubt been around a long time.
But is it the same offense as the RPO?
MicMan
Swell

I thought Mouse Davis started the run 'n' shoot? First college and then with Jim Kelly in the USFL.
wave97
Swell

When Andre Ware was tearing it up at U of Houston they lost to a young Texas A&M DC deployed a 2-9 which ended Houston's undefeated run & shoot season.
Who was that DC?
Bob Davie, former Tulane DC and best coach i have ever had the opportunity to play for.
anEngineer
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:56 am The Air Raid (Run & Shoot), has no doubt been around a long time.
But is it the same offense as the RPO?
I would say it's not the same. RPO uses the running game (play action) and pocket motion as a threat that air raid did not. Air raid was more about a QB standing in a stationary pocket with a sophisticated system of pass routes.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:34 am I thought Mouse Davis started the run 'n' shoot? First college and then with Jim Kelly in the USFL.
The Mouse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_Davis
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The spread takes a lot of concepts from the run n shoot but spreads the field making the defense cover from sideline to sideline. RR ran it up tempo so that the confusion generated with the scheme and tempo were compounded by lack of substitutions. As I heard a Tulane Lineman say in an interview following a game in 1998 "We typically know, sometime in the 3rd quarter, when we've absolutely gassed the opponent. You'll see their D-linemen holding their hips, breathing deeply. We know we've won right then and there in the third quarter. " Then he laughed and said "Today (Rutgers) it was early in the second quarter."
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
MicMan
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:13 am
MicMan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:34 am I thought Mouse Davis started the run 'n' shoot? First college and then with Jim Kelly in the USFL.
The Mouse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_Davis
Kelly was sacked like 70 times in one season with Houston.
wave97
Swell

The RPO intentionally isolates a d lineman, linebacker even a Safety. Whatever the isolated player chooses to do ultimately takes him out of the play with a 11 vs 10 advantage on offense.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Breaks the streak!

Fritz poised to break long-standing trend for Tulane by sticking around

https://crescentcitysports.com/fritz-po ... tid=Zxz2cZ
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:09 pm Breaks the streak!

Fritz poised to break long-standing trend for Tulane by sticking around

https://crescentcitysports.com/fritz-po ... tid=Zxz2cZ
For at least another week, anyway.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

This is from USA Today:
Because of the urgency to have a new coach in place to salvage a recruiting class and theoretically prevent a mass exodus of current players into the transfer portal, Georgia Tech needed an answer right away. The 62-year old Fritz, who has slowly and steadily built Tulane over the last seven years, rightly wanted a chance to coach his players in the program’s biggest game in a quarter century without compromising their chances of winning.

So when the report linking Fritz to Georgia Tech leaked, he walked away from the deal. Tulane kept its coach, and Georgia Tech elevated interim coach Brent Key to the full-time position on Tuesday.

“Fortunately enough for us, when it was ‘we’ve got to have you now,’ our coach essentially said the kids in this game are more important,” Tulane athletics director Troy Dannen told USA TODAY Sports. “And he left a lot of money on the table for himself, but I’ve told people here, Willie’s decision was born out of character and integrity. I’m not trying to blast others, but not everyone would make the decision Willie made.”
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:49 pm This is from USA Today:
Because of the urgency to have a new coach in place to salvage a recruiting class and theoretically prevent a mass exodus of current players into the transfer portal, Georgia Tech needed an answer right away. The 62-year old Fritz, who has slowly and steadily built Tulane over the last seven years, rightly wanted a chance to coach his players in the program’s biggest game in a quarter century without compromising their chances of winning.

So when the report linking Fritz to Georgia Tech leaked, he walked away from the deal. Tulane kept its coach, and Georgia Tech elevated interim coach Brent Key to the full-time position on Tuesday.

“Fortunately enough for us, when it was ‘we’ve got to have you now,’ our coach essentially said the kids in this game are more important,” Tulane athletics director Troy Dannen told USA TODAY Sports. “And he left a lot of money on the table for himself, but I’ve told people here, Willie’s decision was born out of character and integrity. I’m not trying to blast others, but not everyone would make the decision Willie made.”
Exactly what I thought happened. The leak pissed him off so he walked. That’s integrity for sure.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If that was the case he wouldn't have given all the evasive answers on Monday as the leak was on Sunday.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tufinal4
High Tide

I've heard from a couple sources that we offered coach Fritz increased money, is that accurate and if so what is the approximate new package.