Tyjae Spears To Senior Bowl

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Ruski
Swell

“He and I talked before the season began,” Fritz said. “He kind of asked me what to do, and I said, ‘hey, man, if you have a good year, you need to go ahead (and turn pro).’ That window to play at that next level is very small. He’s got an opportunity to do it.”
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/tula ... 29913.html

I know it was posted a lot after the SMU game but I didn't really realize it, Tyjae is foregoing his final year of eligibility. Obviously I can't be mad at him, only excited that he's gonna make life-changing money and get a chance to live out his dreams. But at the same time. Shit!

I was already looking forward to the Pratt-Spears farewell tour next year. :cry:

I've been super impressed with Shaadie and Celestine. But what do y'all think, will we go for another big splash RB transfer? Who else might we lose early to the draft?

HoustonWave
Tsunami

Ruski wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:13 am
“He and I talked before the season began,” Fritz said. “He kind of asked me what to do, and I said, ‘hey, man, if you have a good year, you need to go ahead (and turn pro).’ That window to play at that next level is very small. He’s got an opportunity to do it.”
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/tula ... 29913.html

I know it was posted a lot after the SMU game but I didn't really realize it, Tyjae is foregoing his final year of eligibility. Obviously I can't be mad at him, only excited that he's gonna make life-changing money and get a chance to live out his dreams. But at the same time. Shit!

I was already looking forward to the Pratt-Spears farewell tour next year. :cry:

I've been super impressed with Shaadie and Celestine. But what do y'all think, will we go for another big splash RB transfer? Who else might we lose early to the draft?
I think we will add to our stable of RBs. We’ve developed somewhat of an RB U reputation which should keep attracting more RB talent. Plus, won’t we have a healthy Cam Carroll coming back? The big wild card going forward, for all talent discussions, is the conference situation. Fitts and Dannen have to go all out to get us upgraded. Fritz and the team have done their job, and it looks like Ron Hunter will get the job done this year. now Gibson Hall and Wilson Center need to do theirs.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Cam walked on Senior night. I don't think he's coming back.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

#1 rated RB to see this weekend in the country per the Athletic
Three must-see NFL prospects this weekend

1. Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane (at Cincinnati, Friday, Noon, ABC)
With only four more rushing yards, Spears will reach the 1,000-yard mark this season. The fourth-year junior, who is averaging 6.4 yards per carry in 2022, has been a major part of Tulane’s offensive success this season. Spears plays with outstanding read, plant and burst and shows the dynamic cutting and receiving skills reminiscent of James Cook. With a Senior Bowl invite in hand, there is a good chance Spears enters the 2023 NFL Draft.
https://theathletic.com/3921158/2022/11 ... ed_article
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
IM42lane
Swell

Good for Spears, and I hope the experience elevates his NFL draft status. He was a Ponchatoula Green Wave in high school, and a Tulane Green Wave in college.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tyjae was protected by the coaching staff and Fritz all season. They limited his touches, and I tip my cap to them for protecting a promising future. Often it seemed like the hamstring was nagging at him. But yesterday in Cincinnati Tyjae played close to, if not every snap. I don't think another RB played a down other than special teams. And even when everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball, with 8 and sometimes 9 defenders in the box, Spears took chunks of 4-7 yards dragging or going through tacklers. I think he had 34 carries and a couple of catches. The passing game was off for most of the day. We rode Tyjae and he put us on his shoulders and carried Tulane to a regular-season championship. I expect more of the same next week.

Tyjae is one hell of a football player. Some eyes will be opened next year when he surprises folks on Sundays.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He did in fact play every offensive snap. The other backs did not appear on offense. Just an incredible performance by him. Forte would be proud.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

A difference-making performance by Tyjae. Makes you wonder how much better it would have been if he were not dealing with the nagging hamstring. Rest and heal, Tyjae. We’re going to need you Saturday and at the Cotton Bowl.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Just an off-the-charts performance by Spears. We get two more chances to watch this incredible athlete in a Tulane uniform.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:40 am A difference-making performance by Tyjae. Makes you wonder how much better it would have been if he were not dealing with the nagging hamstring. Rest and heal, Tyjae. We’re going to need you Saturday and at the Cotton Bowl.
Or that torn ACL from the past.
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:30 am
GreenLantern wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:40 am A difference-making performance by Tyjae. Makes you wonder how much better it would have been if he were not dealing with the nagging hamstring. Rest and heal, Tyjae. We’re going to need you Saturday and at the Cotton Bowl.
Only knock I have on Coach Fritz is his sticking to single players when hurt, running them into the dirt when he has talented subs. He did it with Pratt, now Spears. Just saying suppose Tygae would have gotten so banged up he wouldn't be available for the Championship or Bowl Game. He did it with Pratt, having a cold Horton come in only have thrown 1 pass to beat Houston. It took him half a game to warm up to the speed of the game. Celestine and Clayton Jones have performed quit well this year., Imagine a fresh Tygae in the 4th Quarter.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:16 pm
Only knock I have on Coach Fritz is his sticking to single players when hurt, running them into the dirt when he has talented subs. He did it with Pratt, now Spears. Just saying suppose Tygae would have gotten so banged up he wouldn't be available for the Championship or Bowl Game. He did it with Pratt, having a cold Horton come in only have thrown 1 pass to beat Houston. It took him half a game to warm up to the speed of the game. Celestine and Clayton Jones have performed quit well this year., Imagine a fresh Tygae in the 4th Quarter.
He had to. Without Tyjae being the workhorse we probably don’t get a championship game to host or play in.
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:03 pm
He had to. Without Tyjae being the workhorse we probably don’t get a championship game to host or play in.
On very many plays Tyjae was making something out of nothing. But there were many plays that the OLine cleared big holes. I was in awe of Spears' performance, but we got a stable of great backs. Celestine has shown that he plays 110% every down, he would've been more than capable of giving Tyjae a rest.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Fritz and the coaching staff did an outstanding job protecting Tyjae all year long. When all the chips were on the line, he chose to ride his horse, and I have ZERO fault to find in him doing so. Just as I would have no fault attributed to Spears if he chooses to not play in a bowl game.

And need I remind you that Horton didn't have any playing time because the third-string QB generally doesn't get to play much? Ibieta started and did really well for the possession he lead the team. He got hurt and the kid you thought should have had more experience was the next man up. The fact that he performed admirably well is a testament to the coaching staff, not a knock against them.
Greeniegb
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:10 pm
Fritz and the coaching staff did an outstanding job protecting Tyjae all year long. When all the chips were on the line, he chose to ride his horse, and I have ZERO fault to find in him doing so. Just as I would have no fault attributed to Spears if he chooses to not play in a bowl game.

And need I remind you that Horton didn't have any playing time because the third-string QB generally doesn't get to play much? Ibieta started and did really well for the possession he lead the team. He got hurt and the kid you thought should have had more experience was the next man up. The fact that he performed admirably well is a testament to the coaching staff, not a knock against them.
May I remind you based off of Pratt and Ibieta's injury experience from last year it was stupid during the lst two rent a win games not to split second halves of both game with Ibieta and Horton. In the NFL starters are rested for the lst two exhibition games. Outright stupid from last year's quarterback experience. Justify all you want, playing Tygae every single play was dumb and not necessary. Running backs are the most fragile position on a football team and if Tygae plays every play the next two games he may be forfeiting an NFL career through injury. Like a ace pitcher with no rest shortens his career.
Dave breslin
Swell

Tyjae was Superman but kudos to the O line this year. That’s been a thorn in our butt for a few years but, what a turnaround. Now is the time to not crap in our pants and pull a Cowen That dildo didn’t know how to build a winner. Hopefully Gibson Hall has caught on
RobertM320
Green Wave

Tyjae came into the game Friday with 155 carries for the season. That's 14 carries a game, hardly "running him into the ground". Fritz rode him for ONE game. Its not like he was carrying 25 times a game every week. He finished with 190 carries for the season

More perspective. Keaton Mitchell ran for 222yds on 27 carries today for ECU. He finishes his season with 206 carries.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:00 pm Tyjae came into the game Friday with 155 carries for the season. That's 14 carries a game, hardly "running him into the ground". Fritz rode him for ONE game. Its not like he was carrying 25 times a game every week. He finished with 190 carries for the season

More perspective. Keaton Mitchell ran for 222yds on 27 carries today for ECU. He finishes his season with 206 carries.
This. Plus we have an extra day's rest for him to recover.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbg is still clinging to his belief that Kai Horton is the best QB to walk on Willow St. Every player personnel decision stems from that misconception. Fritz rode his horse for one game. Like I posted earlier, the coaching staff did a tremendous job ALL SEASON of limiting Spears' carries. They've protected a fragile player with the potential to play in the NFL. And Fritz did the right thing by Spears, encouraging him to forego his final two years of eligibility because the shelf life for a running back to make NFL money is on average less than 3 years.

I didn't see him tap the top of his helmet after any play, either.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:42 am Just an off-the-charts performance by Spears. We get two more chances to watch this incredible athlete in a Tulane uniform.
Not to stir things up any further, but does Tyjae sit out the bowl game? Thoughts?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:19 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:42 am Just an off-the-charts performance by Spears. We get two more chances to watch this incredible athlete in a Tulane uniform.
Not to stir things up any further, but does Tyjae sit out the bowl game? Thoughts?
Cotton Bowl is special. If we lose Saturday yes.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:37 am
Cotton Bowl is special. If we lose Saturday yes.
I would think that is the game plan. For a Tulane player to get the opportunity to play in a NY6 Bowl is just too special to pass on--and given the opponent, would be another chance to elevate his already rising reputation among NFL front offices.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Pratt has been effectively healthy this year. It was last year that he had to play while hurt, in large part because Ibieta and Horton were out for the season. Horton will get his chance. I'm not as confident about Ibieta given his reinjured shoulder.
Show Me
Tsunami

I agree with the thought he’d risk playing in the Cotton Bowl but would probably pass on any other bowl.