Coach Willie Fritz has rebuilt his rebuild at Tulane

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We better be willing to pay at least $2 million for the next guy if the situation would arise after this season. Will Hall is a Mississippi guy but he's also a hungry coach. USM has a lot of financial difficulties. He wants to climb the ladder to bigger jobs. So if offered he's taking the job.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
1989alum
Low Tide

Alex Atkins would make another great candidate...he is a hot OC at FSU right now and knows Tulane well.
greenie78
Riptide

1989alum wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:51 am Alex Atkins would make another great candidate...he is a hot OC at FSU right now and knows Tulane well.
I agree. He would be a really good hire as well.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave Fan wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:05 am
wave97 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:18 am Look at Willie Fritz's career. Do you think his primary motives are compensation?
This guy appears to have a lot of Bill Snyder in him & in Coaching circles he's a walking legend.
I hope he chooses to stay.
He's perfect for Tulane👍
He looks young for 62! lol
Lots of thoughts on Coach Fritz. First of all, I wasn't wrong to question if he could take us to where we are today as recently as this August. But I was wrong. He is that good of a coach. He needed the players and the players needed experience, but he got us here. That said, the cupboard may be bare comparatively speaking from this year to next. He might take a job knowing that it's his best and possible last chance at the big money. Either way, I won't begrudge him as he has certainly made Saturdays worth looking forward to. In this case, Black Friday cannot come quickly enough. I'd skip the damned holiday if I could to get to kickoff! Instead, I'll be sure to be Thankful for family first, but this amazing season is a close second.

So thank you coach Fritz. Lead us to the Cotton Bowl and make the best decision for you and your family. You've earned it.

Roll Wave!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good article in the Athletic
Odds and ends

Tulane responded to its first conference loss in dominant fashion Thursday night, running all over SMU en route to a 59-24 win that keeps the Green Wave squarely in the hunt for a New Year’s Six bowl bid with a trip to Cincinnati looming on Friday.

One of the biggest reasons for Tulane’s turnaround from 2-10 to 9-2 speaks to the outside-the-box thinking of coach Willie Fritz. In search of a new offensive coordinator when Chip Long left for Georgia Tech after one season, Fritz turned to the Division II ranks and hired Jim Svoboda, who had gone 86-43 the past 11 years as the head coach at Central Missouri.

Svoboda is a 62-year-old Hawaii native whose 40-year coaching career has largely come at the NAIA, Division III, Division II and FCS levels. (A three-year stint as UCLA’s OC from 2004-06 was his only previous FBS experience.)

Fritz hired six new coaches before this season. The only other Power 5 coaching experience among those six comes from special teams coordinator Robby Discher (quality control at Georgia, GA at Oklahoma State) and offensive line coach Eman Naghavi (off-field role at Texas). The staff has been coy on who actually calls the plays and is responsible for this offensive renaissance, although the lone holdover on offense, tight ends coach Slade Nagle, certainly plays one of the biggest roles in that operation, too.

The Green Wave rushed for 310 yards last week against the Mustangs, and they now sit third in the American Athletic Conference in rushing offense (189.73 yards per game) while ranking 25th nationally in scoring offense (35.1 points per game).
https://theathletic.com/3921045/2022/11 ... ed_article
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Who fails to get mentioned there and who is an integral part of this turnaround is John McMenamin. He was the OC for Svoboda and then got his own HC job before coming here.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
blueridgewave
Trickle

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:56 pm A quick count is 36 of the current 130 FBS coaches are in their first season. That includes those that started the season and those that took over for a fired coach (aka Cadillac at Auburn.) Let's say 1/3 of those jobs are better than Tulane, that would mean 12 jobs. If there are that many this year, it's hard to imagine none of them would try to hire Fritz.
I don't think a team with a one-year coach is looki g for a replacement. They just went through that process. Research teams who have had 4 or 5 losing seasons in a row. They're gonna wanna new guy. I would also think Fritz doesn't want to necessarily go P5 route just to "make it that far". No one knows what he's thinking. I'd like to think he wants to build something here....and that's more than one conf champ.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

blueridgewave wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:49 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:56 pm A quick count is 36 of the current 130 FBS coaches are in their first season. That includes those that started the season and those that took over for a fired coach (aka Cadillac at Auburn.) Let's say 1/3 of those jobs are better than Tulane, that would mean 12 jobs. If there are that many this year, it's hard to imagine none of them would try to hire Fritz.
I don't think a team with a one-year coach is looking for a replacement. They just went through that process. Research teams who have had 4 or 5 losing seasons in a row. They're gonna wanna new guy.
Read the last sentence of my post. If you cannot comprehend the "if/then" scenario I laid out, you're "gonna wanna" complain to the grade school teachers that gave you passing grades.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aegis
High Tide

No will Hall and no Alex Akins. Keep Fritz he has done a good job and consistency is very important now.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

No to Alex Atkins. He is OC in name only. Doesn’t call plays. Named OV because he can recruit OLinemen. Would be a horrible hire.