USC and direction school UCLA

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:42 pm Westward Ho
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... going-west
If the Big 12 raids the PAC-12 it will probably end any faint hope we’d get a shot there.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

It’s highly likely that the Big 12 will finish off the PAC 12, with ESPN handing them the ammunition. Our only last gasp will be when the ACC is trying to recover from the inevitable Big 10 and SEC raids. These P5 conference commissioners are fighting a losing battle in trying to maintain five premier conferences. At most there will be three, possibly only two. Essentially the bottom dwellers of the PAC 12, Big 12 and ACC are being chiseled away—we might be able to end up with one of their reformulated groups.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:31 pm It’s highly likely that the Big 12 will finish off the PAC 12, with ESPN handing them the ammunition. Our only last gasp will be when the ACC is trying to recover from the inevitable Big 10 and SEC raids. These P5 conference commissioners are fighting a losing battle in trying to maintain five premier conferences. At most there will be three, possibly only two. Essentially the bottom dwellers of the PAC 12, Big 12 and ACC are being chiseled away—we might be able to end up with one of their reformulated groups.
I agree. Ultimately, we end up in a conference with GA Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Vandy, VA Tech, Virginia and a few other southeastern schools that have similar sizes and academics.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No we don't. I know people would love to see others fall back to us but they won't. All is not well at Tulane all the time.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:13 am No we don't. I know people would love to see others fall back to us but they won't. All is not well at Tulane all the time.
Having others fall back to where they belong is our only hope because, Tulane's idiotic leadership will never get us out of the dungeon we will be descending into starting next season. The Big 12 remnants already plucked the best three programs in the AAC; the PAC 12 remnants will eventually have to pick from a list of SDSU, Fresno, Boise, Nevada, UNLV and perhaps some other MWC teams; and at some point the ACC remnants will have to pluck from whatever the CUSAAC can offer--the question will be can Tulane be near the Top of that miserable conference when the time comes. If we continue to be "not well....all the time", the answer will be no, again.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I know it's our only hope but those programs don't deserve it. They have made the right choices and invested heavily in their programs to stay at the top rung. Those schools have contributed some notably in basketball. I want to see us move up as bad as anybody but Tulane has dug its grave and is about to finally be buried in it next year. It's going to take one hell of a miracle to save us. We can start with winning the conference and winning the NY6 Bowl and then win a couple of games in the NCAA tournament.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:45 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:13 am No we don't. I know people would love to see others fall back to us but they won't. All is not well at Tulane all the time.
Having others fall back to where they belong is our only hope because, Tulane's idiotic leadership will never get us out of the dungeon we will be descending into starting next season. The Big 12 remnants already plucked the best three programs in the AAC; the PAC 12 remnants will eventually have to pick from a list of SDSU, Fresno, Boise, Nevada, UNLV and perhaps some other MWC teams; and at some point the ACC remnants will have to pluck from whatever the CUSAAC can offer--the question will be can Tulane be near the Top of that miserable conference when the time comes. If we continue to be "not well....all the time", the answer will be no, again.
Not until Tulane builds a new basketball arena. Will and a new Football operations complex. Don’t think we can getaway promising it. Too many schools to choose from already have these in place.

BTW did you hear that Georgia Tech plays one game a year in the Georgia Dome.

Roll Wave Now!
RobertM320
Green Wave

14 million people in Orange County and Los Angeles County. This is what a P5 draws.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

And to be more direct, all 7 FBS California schools opened at home this week. This was their attendances. In a state of FORTY MILLION PEOPLE. But we need a bigger stadium?

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I heard former UCLA QB and later HC, Rick Neuheisel, on ESPN Radio this week, saying their fans have been clamoring to build out an existing multisport stadium, designed for expansion to a 40-45,000 football stadium on campus. They've been talking about it since Neuheisel was the coach. UCLA academically is on quarters, their fall quarter doesn't start until late September. Also, the Rose Bowl is 26 or so miles away and traffic is brutal in LA. That could be a 2 hour drive. Couple all of that with the extreme heat and 27K is a miracle.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
MicMan
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:27 am And to be more direct, all 7 FBS California schools opened at home this week. This was their attendances. In a state of FORTY MILLION PEOPLE. But we need a bigger stadium?

For the first time, RobertM420 and I agree on something.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:27 am And to be more direct, all 7 FBS California schools opened at home this week. This was their attendances. In a state of FORTY MILLION PEOPLE. But we need a bigger stadium?

Their attendance issues don't negate the fact that a 22k seat stadium is not the way to go. To ignore that reality is to be a part of the problem. First off facilities matter. Recruits take their 5 visits. They all hear the talk about player development. Then they see the other schools that all have football ops. buildings and see they have the facilities in place to develop them.They come to Tulane and see the lack of such a facility and a glorified HS stadium to play in. And people wonder why Tulane continues to be a loser. As to attendance you have to win consistently against respectable opposition to draw fans out. It's not rocket science but is clearly beyond those that run Tulane.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:50 am I heard former UCLA QB and later HC, Rick Neuheisel, on ESPN Radio this week, saying their fans have been clamoring to build out an existing multisport stadium, designed for expansion to a 40-45,000 football stadium on campus. They've been talking about it since Neuheisel was the coach. UCLA academically is on quarters, their fall quarter doesn't start until late September. Also, the Rose Bowl is 26 or so miles away and traffic is brutal in LA. That could be a 2 hour drive. Couple all of that with the extreme heat and 27K is a miracle.
We're talking 14 MILLION people. People drive two hours to LSU, or to Alabama or to Georgia, to sit in heat AND humidity, and they'll still draw 70K+, from areas that are 1/4 the population of just those two counties.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Its the same argument I use when people complain about the Pelicans not filling a 20K seat arena for all 41 home games, and they compare it to the Bulls or the Rockets or the Lakers. When you've got 5-20 TIMES the amount of population, you have NO EXCUSE not to fill a 20K seat arena every game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:19 pm Its the same argument I use when people complain about the Pelicans not filling a 20K seat arena for all 41 home games, and they compare it to the Bulls or the Rockets or the Lakers. When you've got 5-20 TIMES the amount of population, you have NO EXCUSE not to fill a 20K seat arena every game.
metro Houston has the population of the complete state of Louisiana
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I'd say that 27,000 attendance for UCLA is completely bogus. They must be adding the 20,000 season ticket holders whether they attend or not. But there is no way that the remaining 7,000 is legit, looking at that video. I read somewhere that the actual attendance was more like 3,000. I wonder if the attendance for the other Cal schools are as make believe.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:51 pm

I'd say that 27,000 attendance for UCLA is completely bogus. They must be adding the 20,000 season ticket holders whether they attend or not. But there is no way that the remaining 7,000 is legit, looking at that video. I read somewhere that the actual attendance was more like 3,000. I wonder if the attendance for the other Cal schools are as make believe.
attendance is based on tickets sold, not actual bodies in the seats..if not for season tickets sold, I doubt Tulane would not have had the three year average attendance needed to stay in D1 football.. I ma sure most of you have multiple season tickets, I now have 5, and doubt I will see a game in person...I am almost 600 miles from Yulman...I might catch them at SMU...maybe UH, if I can carry my weapons
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Troy Aikman embarassed by attendance
https://www.si.com/college/2022/09/18/t ... arrassment
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pac12 united (?)..and ucla, "no so fast my firend"
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ten-big-12
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

who cares about expenses...this is LA LA Land
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ve-big-ten
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:05 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:50 am I heard former UCLA QB and later HC, Rick Neuheisel, on ESPN Radio this week, saying their fans have been clamoring to build out an existing multisport stadium, designed for expansion to a 40-45,000 football stadium on campus. They've been talking about it since Neuheisel was the coach. UCLA academically is on quarters, their fall quarter doesn't start until late September. Also, the Rose Bowl is 26 or so miles away and traffic is brutal in LA. That could be a 2 hour drive. Couple all of that with the extreme heat and 27K is a miracle.
We're talking 14 MILLION people. People drive two hours to LSU, or to Alabama or to Georgia, to sit in heat AND humidity, and they'll still draw 70K+, from areas that are 1/4 the population of just those two counties.
That's the difference between "football country" and "surfer country".
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

UCLA and the Big to circle the date
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... g-ten-move
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The Athletic article on why it’s horrible for UCLA to leave the PAC-12. They are the next Nebraska/Missouri and will be a Big 10 bottom feeder.
https://theathletic.com/4362098/2023/03 ... ed_article
Points in the future article:

1. Overestimated its national brand.
2. Other Big Ten schools took SoCal athletes for whom they previously only had to fight USC and Oregon/Washington. Now, UCLA is behind USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Washington, Cal and San Diego State in recruiting SoCal.
3. Travel is affecting all sports teams.
4. Folks who made the deal are long gone.
5. UCLA replicating Nebraska in mediocrity within Big Ten football. UCLA basketball relatively OK.
6. Money in the coffers, but the added cost of coaches made it a net zero.
7. Pac-12’s demise is greatly exaggerated. Thriving as a West Coast conference in 2028.
8. UCLA alums pressuring the school to return to the Pac-12.
9. Pac-12 special branded games at SoFi stadium featuring Pac-12 and ACC top-tier teams decimated UCLA attendance.
10. USC thrived because it has a national brand and is a private school that can sink resources that UCLA can’t.
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:03 pm The Athletic article on why it’s horrible for UCLA to leave the PAC-12. They are the next Nebraska/Missouri and will be a Big 10 bottom feeder.

2. Other Big Ten schools took SoCal athletes for whom they previously only had to fight USC and Oregon/Washington. Now, UCLA is behind USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Washington, Cal and San Diego State in recruiting SoCal.
5. UCLA replicating Nebraska in mediocrity within Big Ten football. UCLA basketball relatively OK.
7. Pac-12’s demise is greatly exaggerated. Thriving as a West Coast conference in 2028.
9. Pac-12 special branded games at SoFi stadium featuring Pac-12 and ACC top-tier teams decimated UCLA attendance.
10. USC thrived because it has a national brand and is a private school that can sink resources that UCLA can’t.
Name me four teams from the Big10 who aren't bottom feeders?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:24 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:03 pm The Athletic article on why it’s horrible for UCLA to leave the PAC-12. They are the next Nebraska/Missouri and will be a Big 10 bottom feeder.

Name me four teams from the Big10 who aren't bottom feeders?
They will have no chance there. Another Nebraska for sure. They wanted to follow USC I guess.
Tulane Class of 1981