Basketball OOC Schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

Terrible
Show Me
Tsunami

Easily the worst non conference schedule in Tulane basketball history.
We’re preparing for CUSAAC with this one.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

That’s clearly hyperbole, we have had even more awful schedules. But I agree, this is a terrible schedule. Go play some road games against mediocre P5 teams. We have to pray that we beat Kansas state/LSU in the tourney and also get SEVERAL big conferences wins (Memphis, houston). This leaves very little room for error. We need to finish second in conference and go deep in the aac tourney
Show Me
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:23 am That’s clearly hyperbole, we have had even more awful schedules. But I agree, this is a terrible schedule. Go play some road games against mediocre P5 teams. We have to pray that we beat Kansas state/LSU in the tourney and also get SEVERAL big conferences wins (Memphis, houston). This leaves very little room for error. We need to finish second in conference and go deep in the aac tourney
“Show Me” one that is worst for non conference. Please. I’ve been going to games since the 1950’s and never seen one this unattractive. Clearly it’s an RPI killer. Especially if we lose a game or two. Should go undefeated with that schedule.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I don’t get it. Losing bad pre-conference games last year hurt our chances for any post season. The AAC only got two teams in the tournament last season. We used to get railed on for scheduling weak because it hurt the chances for the league to have a better overall RPI. My belief is that you should schedule tough for pre conference to better prepare for your league opponents. Sure we’ll go 12-0 but that won’t go far with the committee come March.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I assume when we were stuck deadlast in conference usa and even first few years in the american we most of had even worse ooc schedule ? maybe im wrong, but can't look it up at the moment.

I will say last year in conference you needed 13 wins with 4/5 losses to be in second place. Talk about threading the needle, we probably can't take more then what 2-3 losses OOC ? So we're looking at 9-2 OOC and 13-5 in conference and if those 2 out of conference losses are to the wrong team (250+ rpi), we are sunk. This is pure speculation on what it will take to get in. We are going to have very few opportunity to get quadrant one wins.
Jaxwave
Swell

This schedule was put together by a lazy person who wouldn’t work harder to find decent opponents or one afraid to compete. I get the impression Hunter know as long as his record is decent he keeps his job regardless of the opponents. Complacency sets in on another Tulane coach.
Show Me
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:52 pm This schedule was put together by a lazy person who wouldn’t work harder to find decent opponents or one afraid to compete. I get the impression Hunter know as long as his record is decent he keeps his job regardless of the opponents. Complacency sets in on another Tulane coach.
We always played at least one or two attractive teams at home or on the road. NC, GT, FSU, GA, Miss St, and some others. Play them whenever wherever. Hunter told us when he was hired he’d play anyone anywhere. He’s not done that at all.
Very unattractive for fans also. Who really cares to see that crap. Disappointing for sure.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Why do we play 250+ (Even 300+) rpi teams ?!!! Losing texas A&M I don’t understand. We gave that home and home to SMU. Mind boggling
Show Me
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:09 pm Why do we play 250+ (Even 300+) rpi teams ?!!! Losing texas A&M I don’t understand. We gave that home and home to SMU. Mind boggling
Prep for the CUSAAC
Show Me
Tsunami

This will be the biggest crowd you’ll see in Fogelman this year.
hullabaloo
Ripple

Show Me wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:21 am This will be the biggest crowd you’ll see in Fogelman this year.
LOL. Talk about a negative Nancy.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:25 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:23 am That’s clearly hyperbole, we have had even more awful schedules. But I agree, this is a terrible schedule. Go play some road games against mediocre P5 teams. We have to pray that we beat Kansas state/LSU in the tourney and also get SEVERAL big conferences wins (Memphis, houston). This leaves very little room for error. We need to finish second in conference and go deep in the aac tourney
“Show Me” one that is worst for non conference. Please. I’ve been going to games since the 1950’s and never seen one this unattractive. Clearly it’s an RPI killer. Especially if we lose a game or two. Should go undefeated with that schedule.
You already forgot about the days when we used to play Dillard, Xavier-NO and SUNO home and home every year? And we'd also play the likes of Samford and Stetson.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We didn't play them home and home. It was in the city series. Xavier had Slick Watts. Good games. Well attended.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:11 pm We didn't play them home and home. It was in the city series. Xavier had Slick Watts. Good games. Well attended.
Bruce Seals also.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:11 pm We didn't play them home and home. It was in the city series. Xavier had Slick Watts. Good games. Well attended.
1973-74, we played Dillard, Xavier, UNO and South Alabama home and away, along with playing Stetson, Alabama-Huntsville, Birmingham Southern, Samford and Ball State.

And Slick Watts last college season was 72-73.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:46 pm
Bruce Seals also.
Yep. Thanks.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:06 pm
1973-74, we played Dillard, Xavier, UNO and South Alabama home and away, along with playing Stetson, Alabama-Huntsville, Birmingham Southern, Samford and Ball State.

The City Series was more than a one year thing. The games were played sometimes at neutral sites. I remember watching us play them at Loyola's gym.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:13 am

The City Series was more than a one year thing. The games were played sometimes at neutral sites. I remember watching us play them at Loyola's gym.
The City Series was always exciting. Back then is was extremely hyped and very competitive. We rotated but when we played at Tulane Gym it was near capacity. All those schools were fun to play. It was a good idea and helped draw local interest to basketball.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:22 am

The City Series was always exciting. Back then is was extremely hyped and very competitive. We rotated but when we played at Tulane Gym it was near capacity. All those schools were fun to play. It was a good idea and helped draw local interest to basketball.
+1. The recruitment of black athletes wasn't in full stride yet so schools like that had some talent.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:12 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:22 am

+1. The recruitment of black athletes wasn't in full stride yet so schools like that had some talent.
Yes.
Tulane Class of 1981
TXWave88
Surge

That event sounds awesome. I would rather do play that than what we have. Neither our schedule nor this tournament would be looked any different. No quality teams or wins. I would rather do this City tournament and schedule 4-5 real basketball program games in OOC and then play some island tournament that has some competition in it. There's our OOC.

With our OOC schedule, we need to go undefeated, maybe 1 loss to a respectable team in the Cayman Island tourney. Then we need a 14-4 season or so with a deep run in the AAC tournament to get a chance to make it to the dance. Seems like a tall order for us to go 25-6. Would love to see it, but seems best realistic outcome is to be first 4 out (replaced by some bum .500 program from a "Power" Basketball conference), make a deep run in NIT, and then schedule some real games OOC next year. Take the momentum and build something for the future. Win conference next year. I say do it this year, but have to beat Houston at some point.... not happening.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TXWave88 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:17 am That event sounds awesome. I would rather do play that than what we have. Neither our schedule nor this tournament would be looked any different. No quality teams or wins. I would rather do this City tournament and schedule 4-5 real basketball program games in OOC and then play some island tournament that has some competition in it. There's our OOC.

With our OOC schedule, we need to go undefeated, maybe 1 loss to a respectable team in the Cayman Island tourney. Then we need a 14-4 season or so with a deep run in the AAC tournament to get a chance to make it to the dance. Seems like a tall order for us to go 25-6. Would love to see it, but seems best realistic outcome is to be first 4 out (replaced by some bum .500 program from a "Power" Basketball conference), make a deep run in NIT, and then schedule some real games OOC next year. Take the momentum and build something for the future. Win conference next year. I say do it this year, but have to beat Houston at some point.... not happening.
Not sure it would quite be the same today. It’s a different era. There was no NBA here yet. UNO was a D2 powerhouse and was great competition. Tulane vs Loyola was also a fan favorite back then. Xavier had two future NBA stars on its roster. SUNO and Dillard were the sure wins. The series was a lot of fun. I believe it ended because there had been a few fights breakout amongst the fans in the stands a few nights. When Tulane played Xavier, Loyola or UNO it was always heated. Dillard vs Xavier was extremely heated. Those games always drew the biggest home crowds for each school back then besides those that played LSU. Great memories. Unfortunately I don’t think It would be the same if tried today.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We can probably take 1 loss in OOC to a respectable team, but thats about it ( for example in the championship of the island tourney) . Need to hope the conference has some big OOC wins and we get 3 teams or more in the tourney.

It is a bummer we don't have a city tourney anymore. I know its still big in Philly