USC and direction school UCLA

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The traditional model that worked for over a century will soon be over. Sad sad sad.
Ultimately, a pay-for-play model that would treat players as employees.

Nearly 80% of respondents believe schools will pay athletes directly within the next decade. Nearly 75% think the sport will eventually follow some sort of professional model, perhaps with schools forming conferences based on their willingness to pay players. And virtually everyone (98%) thinks more realignment is in store -- sooner than later.
Nearly 80% of respondents said NIL represents a black-market pay-for-play system that is being used to secure recruits and transfers. Meanwhile, nearly 60% of respondents said the transfer portal has created what amounts to free agency in college football, and they believe that will ultimately hurt the sport with fans.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

PAC-12 Tries to "Fend off Vultures."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... 104a7330d3
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:39 am The traditional model that worked for over a century will soon be over. Sad sad sad.
Ultimately, a pay-for-play model that would treat players as employees.

Nearly 80% of respondents believe schools will pay athletes directly within the next decade. Nearly 75% think the sport will eventually follow some sort of professional model, perhaps with schools forming conferences based on their willingness to pay players. And virtually everyone (98%) thinks more realignment is in store -- sooner than later.
Nearly 80% of respondents said NIL represents a black-market pay-for-play system that is being used to secure recruits and transfers. Meanwhile, nearly 60% of respondents said the transfer portal has created what amounts to free agency in college football, and they believe that will ultimately hurt the sport with fans.
Expect anti-trust challenges on this - NCAA might not allow "unrestricted free agency" after all: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... 1880caead2
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:35 am PAC-12 Tries to "Fend off Vultures."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... 104a7330d3
A fitting title since only dead bodies attract vultures.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The Clues Are All Around US.... the end is near
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... e-football
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

Dan Patrick Thinks SEC Will Go After 3 Major Programs:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... 0f33649e89
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:05 pm Dan Patrick Thinks SEC Will Go After 3 Major Programs:
Absolutely
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:37 pm
Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:05 pm Dan Patrick Thinks SEC Will Go After 3 Major Programs:
Absolutely

I think North Carolina over Miami maybe a better long term choice
wave97
Swell

I am ok with an expanded format 32 team play in.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:28 am Finally, a job has opened for TD
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ll-program
Interesting. It would actually be a good fit for him. 🍀🍀🍀🍀
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The $ million question would be: Does his experience at Tulane actually help Tulane or hurt Tulane w/r/t any possibility of getting invited to join the Big 12?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
oliveandblue
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:12 pm The $ million question would be: Does his experience at Tulane actually help Tulane or hurt Tulane w/r/t any possibility of getting invited to join the Big 12?
I think this whole sport is going to reorganize after it blows the hell up.

CFB is in a REALLY bad place going forward, and I think everyone's trying to suck out the last few dollars before closing time.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:12 pm The $ million question would be: Does his experience at Tulane actually help Tulane or hurt Tulane w/r/t any possibility of getting invited to join the Big 12?
Great question. He probably knows the administration is not interested in making the required investment to excel in Athletics so he’ll probably pass on the Wave should Arnie try to get us in.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:28 am Finally, a job has opened for TD
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ll-program
I bet AWOL will be alllll ooverr that job opening.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I highly doubt it would help us get into the Big 12– he knows way too much about Gibson Hall.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The obvious answer is it would kill our chances not just hurt them.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:00 am
The obvious answer is it would kill our chances not just hurt them.
You know, the more I thought about it (and I didn't spend too much time on it, trust me!) I realized how many former coaches and Athletics Department administrators including former AD's have bad-mouthed Tulane. They leave and when it's no longer career jeopardizing to do so, don't hold back on their feelings about what the Tulane Administration feels about Athletics.
anEngineer
Riptide

I tend to agree about Administration being the problem. When you look at some of the ADs we have had, like Kevin White, Chet Gladchuck and Sandy Barbour, they proved to be quality ADs once they went somewhere else. You can complain all you want, but outsiders definitely think highly of Troy Dannen.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:53 pm I tend to agree about Administration being the problem. When you look at some of the ADs we have had, like Kevin White, Chet Gladchuck and Sandy Barbour, they proved to be quality ADs once they went somewhere else. You can complain all you want, but outsiders definitely think highly of Troy Dannen.
My issue with Troy Dannen is he's gone silent. Whether it's true or not, the notion that he spends more time working on NCAA projects and committees than he does on Tulane Athletics is widespread. He does nothing to alleviate that perception. We are at probably the most critical junction in Tulane Athletics history, certainly since the idiotic decision was made to leave the SEC. Yet we hear absolutely nothing about what Tulane wants to do. The silence is deafening. It screams "WE DON"T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT ATHLETICS AT TULANE."

C'mon man. Let us know Tulane wants to be in that number. Or tell us what the alternate plan is going to be. Otherwise you're stealing from anyone that gives a penny or a $ million.
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:53 pm I tend to agree about Administration being the problem. When you look at some of the ADs we have had, like Kevin White, Chet Gladchuck and Sandy Barbour, they proved to be quality ADs once they went somewhere else. You can complain all you want, but outsiders definitely think highly of Troy Dannen.
They were all good here. They all left for better jobs. Dickson retired. Dannen retired on the job. Works 20% nowadays. If he’s was so well thought of how come he’s still here? Former Tulane assistant AD under Dickson (Travis Goff) beat him out for the Kansas job.
And he’s been passed over on other AD jobs. He made two bad hires in Dunleavy and Jewett. They set him back. Willie Fritz still has to prove he’s better than avg. big year for Ron Hunter. Hopefully he gets us to the NCAA this time around.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:59 am
My issue with Troy Dannen is he's gone silent. Whether it's true or not, the notion that he spends more time working on NCAA projects and committees than he does on Tulane Athletics is widespread. He does nothing to alleviate that perception. We are at probably the most critical junction in Tulane Athletics history, certainly since the idiotic decision was made to leave the SEC. Yet we hear absolutely nothing about what Tulane wants to do. The silence is deafening. It screams "WE DON"T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT ATHLETICS AT TULANE."

C'mon man. Let us know Tulane wants to be in that number. Or tell us what the alternate plan is going to be. Otherwise you're stealing from anyone that gives a penny or a $ million.
I have stated before that the silence is my biggest complaint as well, but what is the root of it? Let's suppose the administration has made it clear to him that athletics is of marginal importance. What should Dannen say? Does he announce to every donor that they are wasting their money? That is suicide. All you can do is look for another job (already tried) or quietly work from the inside to improve the situation while putting the best face on it. It's not up to Dannen to announce university intentions, it's the administration's obligation.
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:16 am
DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:59 am

I have stated before that the silence is my biggest complaint as well, but what is the root of it? Let's suppose the administration has made it clear to him that athletics is of marginal importance. What should Dannen say? Does he announce to every donor that they are wasting their money? That is suicide. All you can do is look for another job (already tried) or quietly work from the inside to improve the situation while putting the best face on it. It's not up to Dannen to announce university intentions, it's the administration's obligation.
Eng, if you remember when Dannen was first hired he bragged about the institutional support he was getting under Fitts. Has that changed? Was he lied to?
I do know for a fact his budget is more than double than what the previous AD had. Of course I thought Arnie Fielkow would have made a better choice. He had a great 5, 10 and 20 year plan set out for Tulane Athletics. I’ve never seen something so detailed. Tulane Tulane’d itself passing on him. He has connections all over sports on all levels. Missed opportunity.
Wave755
Tsunami

Do you realize that soon USC & Rutgers will be in the same football conference? Now that's what I call a "coast to coast" conference! It is amazing how much TV money has "perverted" college football and destroyed its traditions. And, I remember how as a kid I so looked forward to New Year's Day for the Sugar Bowl, Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl & Cotton Bowl. Even my mother watched the Orange Bowl every year for its outstanding halftime show.

We are now heading to a P2, an "out of the closet" semi-pro NFL farm league. And, it is hard to see how the Tulane's of the world fit into this picture and, in the long run as well, "legacy" P2 schools like Vandy, Duke, Virginia, Boston College & Stanford?