45,000 Apply for Admission to Tulane; Early Decision Only Way In

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Almost entire class was accepted under early decision. Incredible, read all about it: https://www.insidehighered.com/admissio ... early-year


User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 4369
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:14 pm Almost entire class was accepted under early decision. Incredible, read all about it: https://www.insidehighered.com/admissio ... early-year
Reading your comment makes it sound like almost 45,000 were accepted.
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:01 am
Wave755 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:14 pm Almost entire class was accepted under early decision. Incredible, read all about it: https://www.insidehighered.com/admissio ... early-year
Reading your comment makes it sound like almost 45,000 were accepted.
🤔, I wrote 45,000 applied? As the article states the freshman class is about 1,800 in number.
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 4369
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:14 am
Show Me wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:01 am
Wave755 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:14 pm Almost entire class was accepted under early decision. Incredible, read all about it: https://www.insidehighered.com/admissio ... early-year
Reading your comment makes it sound like almost 45,000 were accepted.
🤔, I wrote 45,000 applied? As the article states the freshman class is about 1,800 in number.
Right and “almost entire class was accepted”
So at first glance not clicking the link it would appear that close to 45,000 that applied were accepted early.
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:42 am
Wave755 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:14 am
Show Me wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:01 am
Reading your comment makes it sound like almost 45,000 were accepted.
🤔, I wrote 45,000 applied? As the article states the freshman class is about 1,800 in number.
Right and “almost entire class was accepted”
So at first glance not clicking the link it would appear that close to 45,000 that applied were accepted early.
And, at "second glance" it is obvious Tulane doesn't have 45,000 students in its freshman class. ;)

A couple of years ago the son of a lawyer in our office applied to Tulane and Washington University in St. Louis. He decided against Early Decision for Tulane since WU was his first choice. He made a 31 on the ACT. He was denied admission to both Tulane & WU. Since he would have been 4th generation for Tulane his family "literally went nuts" and demanded a meeting with Tulane admissions. For the meeting they were told "tough titties," he should have applied Early Decision. 😥
Bicoastalwave
Riptide
Posts: 3077
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

31 act is good, but by no means a perfect score (36). This years class the middle 50% averaged a 31-34 act for reference.
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide
Posts: 3077
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Also to be clear it states 2/3 were admitted early decision, and many others early action (non binding), and 106 regular. Smart of the university to prevent the “safety school” phenomenon. In some ways comparable to the new early signing day period which has greatly helped our recruiting
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:32 pm Also to be clear it states 2/3 were admitted early decision, and many others early action (non binding), and 106 regular. Smart of the university to prevent the “safety school” phenomenon. In some ways comparable to the new early signing day period which has greatly helped our recruiting
I know but "regular 106," those are damn bad odds!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide
Posts: 3077
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Those really must be the best and brightest (and biggest donors) . . . Maybe we’ll finally get a football ops building
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:42 pm Those really must be the best and brightest (and biggest donors) . . . Maybe we’ll finally get a football ops building
True, the 106 on the “last train leaving the station” for Tulane must be a very special group of alternatively “rich brats” or Einsteins indeed. :D
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 8268
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

I wonder how many of those 45K would have still applied if we actually had an application fee.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12531
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

we knew they did not accept all 45,000..we only have a 25,000 seat stadium
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide
Posts: 3077
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 am I wonder how many of those 45K would have still applied if we actually had an application fee.
Exclusivity is part of the formula when rating schools. Also to answer your question atleast every single one of the early decision folks.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12531
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:11 am
RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 am I wonder how many of those 45K would have still applied if we actually had an application fee.
Exclusivity is part of the formula when rating schools. Also to answer your question atleast every single one of the early decision folks.
SEY WHAT !!! Exclusivity !!! wha happen to "inclusion", "diverstiy, "equity".....Shirley, there must be a convicted murderer applying
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 5513
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

We admitted 4,508 out of 46,000 applications, and 1,800 accepted, so our yield fell to 40%?

We admitted 1,200 Early Decisions which 1,200 accepted, so that tranche has a 100% yield.

We admitted 2,249 Early Actions which 494 accepted, so that tranche has a 22% yield.

We admitted 1,059 Regular applicants which 106 accepted, so that tranche has a 10% yield.

We clearly did well with the Early Decision tranche, but after that had to scramble to get our class of 1,800 filled out. Even a 27% yield out of the Early Action admits would have filled out the entire class--with no Regular applicants being admitted. Given that Tulane survives on tuition money, I have to believe they would have admitted more, if more would have accepted out of the Regular group.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:52 am We admitted 4,508 out of 46,000 applications, and 1,800 accepted, so our yield fell to 40%?

We admitted 1,200 Early Decisions which 1,200 accepted, so that tranche has a 100% yield.

We admitted 2,249 Early Actions which 494 accepted, so that tranche has a 22% yield.

We admitted 1,059 Regular applicants which 106 accepted, so that tranche has a 10% yield.

We clearly did well with the Early Decision tranche, but after that had to scramble to get our class of 1,800 filled out. Even a 27% yield out of the Early Action admits would have filled out the entire class--with no Regular applicants being admitted. Given that Tulane survives on tuition money, I have to believe they would have admitted more, if more would have accepted out of the Regular group.
Of an incoming freshman class of 1,800, 1,200 (67%) were "Early Decision," impressive! 😎 🏆
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 5513
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:15 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:52 am We admitted 4,508 out of 46,000 applications, and 1,800 accepted, so our yield fell to 40%?

We admitted 1,200 Early Decisions which 1,200 accepted, so that tranche has a 100% yield.

We admitted 2,249 Early Actions which 494 accepted, so that tranche has a 22% yield.

We admitted 1,059 Regular applicants which 106 accepted, so that tranche has a 10% yield.

We clearly did well with the Early Decision tranche, but after that had to scramble to get our class of 1,800 filled out. Even a 27% yield out of the Early Action admits would have filled out the entire class--with no Regular applicants being admitted. Given that Tulane survives on tuition money, I have to believe they would have admitted more, if more would have accepted out of the Regular group.
Of an incoming freshman class of 1,800, 1,200 (67%) were "Early Decision," impressive! 😎 🏆
That is impressive, and contrasts greatly with the 3,308 acceptances that it took to fill out the last 600 (33%) in order to fill out the class.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide
Posts: 3077
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

As mentioned above it would be interesting to see who those admitted final regular decision folks were. Probably a combination of kids who weren’t legacy Ivy leaguers and extremely wealthy/influential families.
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 4369
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:01 pm As mentioned above it would be interesting to see who those admitted final regular decision folks were. Probably a combination of kids who weren’t legacy Ivy leaguers and extremely wealthy/influential families.
Interesting indeed. However I’d be willing to bet that most won’t be Athletic donors once they graduate.
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:42 pm Those really must be the best and brightest (and biggest donors) . . . Maybe we’ll finally get a football ops building
From top of thread cited article:

“For regular decision, Tulane admitted only 106 applicants.
The regular-decision numbers were so low that some college counselors heard a rumor that Tulane didn’t admit anyone that way.”
🥇🌊
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 5513
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:01 pm As mentioned above it would be interesting to see who those admitted final regular decision folks were. Probably a combination of kids who weren’t legacy Ivy leaguers and extremely wealthy/influential families.
It would also be interesting to know how many of the 1,200 Early Decision admits were prearranged admits of foreign students—bringing with them a full boat tuition payment. Those kind of Early Decision admits help both the diversity stats and the pocketbook.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:59 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:01 pm As mentioned above it would be interesting to see who those admitted final regular decision folks were. Probably a combination of kids who weren’t legacy Ivy leaguers and extremely wealthy/influential families.
It would also be interesting to know how many of the 1,200 Early Decision admits were prearranged admits of foreign students—bringing with them a full boat tuition payment. Those kind of Early Decision admits help both the diversity stats and the pocketbook.
Probably very few.
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 5513
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:19 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:59 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:01 pm As mentioned above it would be interesting to see who those admitted final regular decision folks were. Probably a combination of kids who weren’t legacy Ivy leaguers and extremely wealthy/influential families.
It would also be interesting to know how many of the 1,200 Early Decision admits were prearranged admits of foreign students—bringing with them a full boat tuition payment. Those kind of Early Decision admits help both the diversity stats and the pocketbook.
Probably very few.
Probably quite a few based on Tulane’s foreign gravy train strategy of the last several years. I’ve lectured some classes, and I might as well have been lecturing a class in Beijing. I question how many of them will be strong backers of Tulane in general, and Tulane athletics in particular.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 8268
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:11 am
RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 am I wonder how many of those 45K would have still applied if we actually had an application fee.
Exclusivity is part of the formula when rating schools. Also to answer your question atleast every single one of the early decision folks.
The early decision folks was 1200. My question is, what would our total number of applications have been if we had an application fee? Probably more like 15K.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:21 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:11 am
RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 am I wonder how many of those 45K would have still applied if we actually had an application fee.
Exclusivity is part of the formula when rating schools. Also to answer your question atleast every single one of the early decision folks.
The early decision folks was 1200. My question is, what would our total number of applications have been if we had an application fee? Probably more like 15K.
Most application fees are still around $50 bucks. And, when we had an application fee we were just under 30,ooo for applicants, but Tulane is a much hotter school now. And, rest assured, the "Early Decision folks" would have paid the $50 bucks.
Post Reply