Which team will be better next year - Basketball or Football ?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Who will have the superior final (unofficial) national ranking. Usually our football team has finished in the 70-90 range per SP+ & athlon.

Recently there’s been press and prediction that Tulane basketball would finish 2 or 3rd in the aac and in the 40-60 range nationally.

Who ya got finishing higher ?

Wave Fan
Low Tide

Football will finish in the top 25, I pray. Basketball will make the NCAA’s. 2022 is finally our year. Roll Wave
Profoundwizard
Swell

Wave Fan wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:08 pm Football will finish in the top 25, I pray. Basketball will make the NCAA’s. 2022 is finally our year. Roll Wave
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave Fan wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:08 pm Football will finish in the top 25, I pray. Basketball will make the NCAA’s. 2022 is finally our year. Roll Wave
Wow Wave Fan, you're a beacon of optimism--and I hope you're right on both accounts. There may not be a more critical 2 or 3-year period in whatever future Tulane athletics may have, than the next 2 or 3 years.

And as far as which sport will have the best year--I think it will be basketball. Last year Hunter's team started to really show some life and ability at mid-season. I'm hopeful we'll continue to see continued improvement in our basketball program. As far as Fritz and football, who knows--after six seasons of game-to-game inconsistency I have no idea what kind of team we may for the 2022 season. Hope for the best, and expect anything.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

Basketball is the more likely. I have faith in football, but until they can beat SMU, they are just treading water.
Greeniegb
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:40 pm Basketball is the more likely. I have faith in football, but until they can beat SMU, they are just treading water.
I think football will be huge this year with the new Offensive Coaches, wide open competition at Quarterback, may the best player win, additions to the offensive line will help but its the coaches and quarterbacks job to get the ball off quickly and spot the receivers on quick breaks and let them show their moves and speed. Improve quarterback play will open things up for the runners. Looking to average 25+ points per game and holding the other teams below 20 ppg..
Jaxwave
Swell

I disagree that this year is a critical year for a Tulane athletics. The P5 ship has sailed. The administration failed. The results matter to the coaches and athletes and fans, but will have no effect on the future at all.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Basketball without a doubt. Doesn't look like Hunter lost anyone to the portal, most of his main players are back, and he's added some good talent. Could even see an NIT or NCAA appearance.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Oh Brother
Low Tide

Agree it’s all rather irrelevant now, nothing that is within reason can happen in next two years that will keep us from dropping farther into lower tier and participating in an AAC that will be just another CUSA. But, if football/ basketball / baseball ( or any one of them) manage to have a “successful” season, at least we Tulane fans, who become excited at the slightest hint of mediocre success, will be happy, at least until the next blow is landed.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:32 pm
anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:40 pm Basketball is the more likely. I have faith in football, but until they can beat SMU, they are just treading water.
I think football will be huge this year with the new Offensive Coaches, wide open competition at Quarterback, may the best player win, additions to the offensive line will help but its the coaches and quarterbacks job to get the ball off quickly and spot the receivers on quick breaks and let them show their moves and speed. Improve quarterback play will open things up for the runners. Looking to average 25+ points per game and holding the other teams below 20 ppg..
We will need to average a hell of a lot more than 25 PPG to be relevant in the AAC. That would be stepping backwards in scoring from what a miserable 2-10 team averaged, and from what we've done for a number of years now. I personally want Fritz to be on the hot seat and 7 wins the bare minimum to retain his job. It's year 7 time to put up or get out.

That said, Hunter had his team playing very well once conference play started. We all know he doesn't commit to rebounding. Getting killed on the boards will prevent this team from going far, but if that somehow changes, we could make a run at an NCAA bid.

Basketball has my vote by a wide margin. They will finish higher in the conference standings and be closer to the top 25, if not in it, than football.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Pepper
Swell

I think Pratt will have a big year but the results will not have us in the conference title game. I see a bowl game though. The basketball team should make the tourney.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

SMU is a good metric for where we are, or are not, In large part because SMU keeps putting forth strong efforts to improve their athletic programs. They know there will be a few more P5 teams added, and are doing all they can to ensure they will be in that number. It really will be the final P5 casting call—and right now Tulane is nowhere near ready.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Sailing
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:16 pmSailing
Not only did this make me LOL, but it fits on many levels.

Sailing...off into the sunset with no intention of making ourselves attractive for the last P5 slots to be filled in the next few years.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:32 pm

Sailing...off into the sunset with no intention of making ourselves attractive for the last P5 slots to be filled in the next few years.
Good one D! +1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:43 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:32 pm

Good one D! +1
Sailing...into the "dead sea"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !