SMU dominates in the transfer portal

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

SMU just secured their FOURTH U of Texas transfer this year and have several other highly touted 4 & 5 star recruits from Alabama and Georgia. They are ranked 13th in the country amonst some new stat that only looks at transfer quality.

Very frustrating to see one of our peers running laps around us (they also announced further facility announcements and nil fundraising). Troy any response ?

https://247sports.com/college/smu/Seaso ... l/Commits/

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Oh to have many rich alums who also cared about athletics.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

memo from the SMU AD's office.... Gentleman, we have a payroll to meet.....SHOW ME THE MONEY $$$$$$$$...NOW....!!!!!$$$$
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:41 am Oh to have many rich alums who also cared about athletics.
…and a school who gives their rich alums a reason to care for their athletics.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:33 am SMU just secured their FOURTH U of Texas transfer this year and have several other highly touted 4 & 5 star recruits from Alabama and Georgia. They are ranked 13th in the country amonst some new stat that only looks at transfer quality.

Very frustrating to see one of our peers running laps around us (they also announced further facility announcements and nil fundraising). Troy any response ?

https://247sports.com/college/smu/Seaso ... l/Commits/
Nothing from Rock Head or Rain Main. First TCU “unhipped” itself from us. And now SMU is well on the way. We are no longer a peer of either. We’ll be measuring up with the North Texas, UTSAs and FAUs of the world.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

How do kids from UT see SMU as a viable landing place while we almost get kids from LSU who see us as a viable landing place.

I am glad we have found a niche for kids from Colorado and other P5 schools who want to return home and get playing time. But you should be able to leverage that at some point and get kids to leave LSU after not getting playing time. I dont think we need multiple 7 figure donors, just 1
Greeniegb
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:52 pm How do kids from UT see SMU as a viable landing place while we almost get kids from LSU who see us as a viable landing place.

I am glad we have found a niche for kids from Colorado and other P5 schools who want to return home and get playing time. But you should be able to leverage that at some point and get kids to leave LSU after not getting playing time. I dont think we need multiple 7 figure donors, just 1
Folks be real, Dallas or New Orleans night and day. New Orleans appeals to few Party Annimals, to parents that are education lst New Orleans is not a safe destination for their kids, Dallas is not only safer but good paying jobs in the area with a higher standard of living than New Orleans. Not only must the school sell parents the area and city must, Car jackings and high crime is a deal breaker!!! Add to that empty stadiums, not anything to sell!!!
anEngineer
Riptide

This is a somewhat silly discussion when you consider that the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area population is 6.5 million and New Orleans/Baton Rouge combined is under 2 million. There is simply a huge numbers difference.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

As touched on in prior discussions, the Texas schools predominately recruit Texas students who (generally) plan to stay in Texas after graduation due to all of the job opportunities in Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, El Paso, and surrounding areas.(the smallest city, and only city, in that bunch has a population 690,000). That. combined with no state income tax and relatively reasonable property values compared to the coasts puts programs like SMU in a very different situation than Tulane.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

This is rather humorous to me. So college kids are choosing what school to go to because of tax levels ? The #’s game of sizes of metros also doesn’t work. SMU doesn’t draw well, and Louisiana (while not turning out the same number) turns out more than enough recruits for lsu, ULL and others to excel. Also Tulane is a better school then SMU, with reach in houston and Dallas as well as nyc.

Also kids don’t care about crime but do prefer being party animals.

Now you can say more engaged boosters, deeper pockets and more recent success, I would buy that. You can say they have spent more on facilities and coaches and I would buy that too.