New DL Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Travian Robertson from Georgia State where he was the DL coach. He played football with Hampton at South Carolina.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:00 pm Travian Robertson from Georgia State where he coached the DL. He played football with Hampton at South Carolina.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travian_Robertson

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sport ... 89253.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

Looks like a good replacement, as is the new OL coach..
Greeniegb
Swell

DrBox wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:31 pm Looks like a good replacement, as is the new OL coach..
Candidate for OLB coach at South Carolina:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 185696002/

Travian Robertson
If Beamer wants to just fill Peterson’s role, Robertson could be one of the top options. He has spent the past three seasons at Georgia State – where he coached current Gamecock Jordan Strachan – overseeing the defensive line.
The South Carolina alum played in Columbia while Beamer was on staff and he’s heralded as a solid recruiter.[/b]

TRAVIAN ROBERTSON
@Robertson_9TWO
Defensive Line (3rd year at GSU)
Alma Mater: South Carolina, 2011
Coached four All-Sun Belt defensive linemen in
2019 and 2020 and helped GSU increase sack
total from 13 to 21 to a school-record 35 in 2020.

-Sounds like we may have an aggressive defensive line, Record 35 Sacks is impressive and 4 All Sun Belt defensive linemen. Looks like he develops players, from 13 to 21 to 35 sacks, continual improvement for a coach is a great asset!!!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We love raiding Georgia Southern and Georgia State, which isn’t a bad idea. I do wish we raided ULL, La Tech more.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:44 pm We love raiding Georgia Southern and Georgia State, which isn’t a bad idea. I do wish we raided ULL, La Tech more.
They (UL-L and La Tech) are as likely or more so to be raiding Tulane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

We've joined the SunBelt.

Willie has thrown in the towel on getting Grade AA coaches and players .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

nm
Last edited by winwave on Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:15 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:44 pm We love raiding Georgia Southern and Georgia State, which isn’t a bad idea. I do wish we raided ULL, La Tech more.
LOL good one.
Greeniegb
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:30 pm We've joined the SunBelt.

Be real Willie got 4 star transfers!!!
Also Roberson was a candidate to coach at South Carolina!!!
wave97
Swell

I like this new DL coach. He may very well be a key ingredient to dialing in a DL group that has a impressive amount of athletic twitch. Get as many live good on good turns in this Spring. Teach them how to show misleading intentions prior to snap. Teach them how to read, react & gap like it is as natural as breathing.
Dave breslin
Swell

I hope he eats iron and craps nails. We need to get nasty on the D line
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:30 pm We've joined the SunBelt.

A silly take. Every school takes successful coaches from “lower”, less prestigious or less well financially rich athletic departments.

I think usually we could steal most coaches and coaches from ULL and def La tech. Obviously they have had a good turn these last few years, and some coaches & players like their lower standards for academics and conduct. BUT we have a MUCH more lucrative and are in a “big” city. We are more inclined to steal from them. We’ll see if we can get our NIL up and running and what they do with theirs.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:49 pm
LOL good one.
Sad but true.
wave97
Swell

Dave breslin wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:23 pm I hope he eats iron and craps nails. We need to get nasty on the D line
The surest way to get your ass handed to you is to go berserker (ask me how I know). The scariest d lineman are the calm ones. This general rule applies to cover zero DB's where you have nanoseconds determining whether you win or lose or push.
Reggie White would whisper. Bruce Smith was as quiet as a church mouse. Aaron Donald only chirps between plays. Charlie Hall was as calm as can be.
Last edited by wave97 on Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:50 am

LOL good one.
Sad but true.
Whatever you have to tell yourself.
TXWave88
Surge

Look forward to seeing what he can do.

Just for fun discussion.....It is starting to seem that the talent pool for assistant coaches may be slimming up. I only say this because of all the new positions the P5 schools have created with all the analysts positions. In the past, those did not exist and the only options were to be a coach. Not the case anymore. Look at our own JP Losman at Clemson. No idea how he would be as a position coach, but now he has had options as analysts and now a Player Personnel and Football Administration position. Been active in college football for 5 years and hasn't coached on the field yet.

I do not know how those positions are viewed at the top level, but every year you see big names on Alabama's staff and not in a traditional coaching position. I have to assume those positions are swallowing up some very good position coaches that would have been available in the past. Almost seems like the P5 family "keeping it in the family".
nawlinspete
Riptide

Contributing to our , and many others , difficulty getting who they want .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Greeniegb
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:09 pm Contributing to our , and many others , difficulty getting who they want .
Staffs are blowing out of Hand!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:46 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:50 am
LOL good one.
Sad but true.
Whatever you have to tell yourself.
Your posts degrading the other programs in Louisiana remind me of a sleeping flamingo. But that's because I forgot which bird sleeps with its head in the sand. Do you whistle past graveyards, too?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Looks like this was a good enough hire to convince Hodges to reconsider staying at Tulane
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Doubt it had anything to do with it. Most likely is that his market wasn't what he thought it was going to be. No matter the reason I'm glad he's back and I hope he continues to develop.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:55 pm Doubt it had anything to do with it. Most likely is that his market wasn't what he thought it was going to be. No matter the reason I'm glad he's back and I hope he continues to develop.
Win... I agree...sometimes the portal, is a portalet....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The coaches were also effective in getting JJ to come back when he clearly did have high end demand. . . So i would give some credit to the coaches (and contribute to the NIL :mrgreen: )
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not sure about that. His market probably wasn’t all that great when he entered it before last season. . He finally lost a lot of weight before last season . He did leave after that.