The search for an OC

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:54 am I have the feeling we are either hiring all of the coaches right now (with the help of his new OC) or we just lost another OC and willie is scrambling. .
I am under the impression two coaches have passed on the job... one I am told he is applying to be on the Westlake HS staff in Austin....not sure where the other person has or has not landed
Fascinating. So one of the candidates wants to join the new head coach at Austin Westlake? I heard that their head coach Todd Dodge, retired right after winning the state 6A Div I championship. Speaking of Todd Dodge, notwithstanding his head coaching failure at North Texas, I wouldn't mind seeing Willie take a chance on him as our OC. He clearly has a strong record when it comes to innovative and open offenses.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:20 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:54 am I have the feeling we are either hiring all of the coaches right now (with the help of his new OC) or we just lost another OC and willie is scrambling. .
I am under the impression two coaches have passed on the job... one I am told he is applying to be on the Westlake HS staff in Austin....not sure where the other person has or has not landed
Fascinating. So one of the candidates wants to join the new head coach at Austin Westlake? I heard that their head coach Todd Dodge, retired right after winning the state 6A Div I championship. Speaking of Todd Dodge, notwithstanding his head coaching failure at North Texas, I wouldn't mind seeing Willie take a chance on him as our OC. He clearly has a strong record when it comes to innovative and open offenses.
Yes sir, Dodge retired after the win, The word I got was from Austin Country Club, guess I need to retire my Tulane golf bag and take my wifes Tx Tech bag, which I think made a huge mistake in not hiring Cumbie as HC.... I do not see Todd moving from the hills of west Austin, to metro NOLA anytime soon...on anotha front...hire Gary Patterson as DC analyst or as DC.....or heres a name to throw out, if Pete Jenkins is not available, Woody Widenhofer as DC analyst
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:13 pm He’s certainly offensive enough.
Best yet! Though his being back on campus with the potential to influence our Prez and others is not at all amusing! I think it destroys any hope there will be positive changes like getting rid of Dannen!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I was enjoying discussing Potential OCoordinators . . .
Dave breslin
Swell

Last week we were told that we would have an announcement this week on an OC. This week is almost over and the only news I’ve heard is that the guy who made us weak is coming back. Hampton makes an offense look good. Try moving him over
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:20 pm Last week we were told that we would have an announcement this week on an OC. This week is almost over and the only news I’ve heard is that the guy who made us weak is coming back. Hampton makes an offense look good. Try moving him over
The Tulane "do-nothing" culture just keeps demonstrating itself.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Is that confirmed Dave ?
wave97
Swell

Get Coach Kennedy from Arkansas as our OC
Coach Kennedy will hire a good young qb coach
If we ever intend to go anywhere with our football program we need a talent evaluator & developer on the o-line. QB is a vitally important position however, QB is tertiary to most other positions on the field.
Can you win consistantly with an average qb & very good o-lineman, d-lineman & cornerbacks? Yes, Georgia won with a shitbird qb.
Can you win with shitbird d'lineman, o-lineman & cornerbacks? No!
Hire Coach Kennedy and watch our offense improve rapidly.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Kennedy would be a horrible hire. RR made bad linemen look good. We have a lot of bad linemen. We need a good OC who can scheme around their weaknesses.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

PLEASE!
Get over the Rich Rodriguez rpo bullshit.
Zone blocking is no longer a viable safe haven for shitbird o-lineman.
Wake up and smell the coffee
Greeniegb
Swell

wave97 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:43 am PLEASE!
Not about zone blocking doe doe, about using the whole field spread out other teams strengths. Larger gaps between lineman is what the Wave did under Coach Rodriquez. That gave King large holes up the middle for QB draws. Open holes for Converse and gave the advantage to the Offensive line. Also Linebackers spread out allowing crossing patterns to open receivers.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:43 am PLEASE!
Like I said we need a good OC who can scheme around the huge deficiencies in our linemen. No OL coach is coming in and performing miracles with those guys. He'll need an OC that can help hide their many deficiencies. Get a grip on reality.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Looks like the "hold up" may be the number of years, the possible OC's want as guaranteed....the minimum they want is 3, the max Tulane/Fritz wants to give is ??....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:18 am Looks like the "hold up" may be the number of years, the possible OC's want as guaranteed....the minimum they want is 3, the max Tulane/Fritz wants to give is ??....
Well atleast we weren’t spurned and starting from scratch. Thanks for update
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Whoever we end up with as OC, and as OL coach, I just hope they try some unorthodox methods for getting better OLs. Try what Cincy has done; or go up and recruit in the Idaho through Dakotas corridor--there are some huge human beings in that sparsely populated part of the U.S.--one reason the Montana and Dakota schools have done so well in the FCS. They appear to have far more OL talent than anything we've had, in memory. We know what we've been doing isn't successful. But a new strategy or approach will take more time and work--something that isn't a featured characteristic in the Tulane athletic program.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:27 am Whoever we end up with as OC, and as OL coach, I just hope they try some unorthodox methods for getting better OLs. Try what Cincy has done; or go up and recruit in the Idaho through Dakotas corridor--there are some huge human beings in that sparsely populated part of the U.S.--one reason the Montana and Dakota schools have done so well in the FCS. They appear to have far more OL talent than anything we've had, in memory. We know what we've been doing isn't successful. But a new strategy or approach will take more time and work--something that isn't a featured characteristic in the Tulane athletic program.
if I am the recruiter, I am heading to Fuji or Samoa for my OL's !!!..
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:30 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:27 am Whoever we end up with as OC, and as OL coach, I just hope they try some unorthodox methods for getting better OLs. Try what Cincy has done; or go up and recruit in the Idaho through Dakotas corridor--there are some huge human beings in that sparsely populated part of the U.S.--one reason the Montana and Dakota schools have done so well in the FCS. They appear to have far more OL talent than anything we've had, in memory. We know what we've been doing isn't successful. But a new strategy or approach will take more time and work--something that isn't a featured characteristic in the Tulane athletic program.
if I am the recruiter, I am heading to Fuji or Samoa for my OL's !!!..
That's a great idea. Anything but what we've been doing--essentially taking whatever the SEC, ACC and Big 12 don't want.
wave97
Swell

Rich Rodriguez , Gus Malzahn, Gary Patterson are just a few on the coaching dust bin.
To stretch the field you need time.
Go back to your fantasy football leagues.
I'm sure you'll do very well....
wave97
Swell

Start recruiting many athletic tight ends.
They are the Swiss Army knives of college football.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:45 am Start recruiting many athletic tight ends.
many a high school TE become a college tackle
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:35 am Rich Rodriguez , Gus Malzahn, Gary Patterson are just a few on the coaching dust bin.
No you don't. Their scheme can stretch them horizontally. Stay current.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:14 pm
wave97 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:35 am Rich Rodriguez , Gus Malzahn, Gary Patterson are just a few on the coaching dust bin.
No you don't. Their scheme can stretch them horizontally. Stay current.
first Gary Patterson is a DC Coach not an OC Coach...the football field is 120 yards long, not 100 yards and is 53&1/3 yards wide...make the D cover the whole damn field, expose their weak spots
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:20 am
He'd take a $100k/yr pay cut to be with Todd Dodge at the HS level. Wow, that guy has quite the dedication to HS football.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:45 am Start recruiting many athletic tight ends.
We just saw an OC that featured (aka "over-emphasized") the TE position. We didn't swiss army knife too many opponents.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

An echo chamber of self proclaimed geniuses.