Basketball Trivia Question - Highest Ranked Win ?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Who is the the highest ranked opponent we have ever beaten ?

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I went to the Tulane basketball page and found the answer i believe-

* Victories over LSU (83-72) and Nevada-Las Vegas (56-51) in the 1982 NIT, Tulane's first postseason appearance after being shunned some 34 years earlier;
* A 110-94 victory over LSU in 1969 before an overflow crowd in Tulane Gym, despite an incredible 66-point performance by the late "Pistol" Pete Maravich;

*** A 78-75 upset victory over second-ranked Cincinnati in 1977 in the Louisiana Superdome***

* Daryl Moreau's 30-footer at the buzzer to defeat Memphis State 49-47 in 1983, and Paul Thompson's 25-footer at the horn of the second overtime to top Florida State 80-79 on the road two nights later, shots topped only in drama and difficulty by Jerald Honeycutt's 1995 three-pointer at the buzzer to top FSU;
* A pair of marathons with Dean Smith's North Carolina clubs, though Tulane lost both games, 113-106 in four overtimes in 1976 in the 'Dome, and 70-68 in triple OT in 1982 in Chapel Hill. The latter came only after a Michael Jordan 25-footer at the regulation buzzer forced overtime;
* An 81-80 thriller over nationally ranked Memphis State in 1990, the Green Wave's first season back on the floor in five years;
* A win at Southern Mississippi in the final game of the 1991-92 regular season to wrap up Tulane's first Metro Conference title, and less than two weeks later, a victory over St. John's in the Green Wave's first NCAA Tournament game;
* And subsequent first-round NCAA victories over Kansas State in 1993, 55-53, and Brigham Young in 1995, 76-70, which helped continue a streak of five straight seasons in which Tulane won a postseason game.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 am I went to the Tulane basketball page and found the answer i believe-

* Victories over LSU (83-72) and Nevada-Las Vegas (56-51) in the 1982 NIT, Tulane's first postseason appearance after being shunned some 34 years earlier;
* A 110-94 victory over LSU in 1969 before an overflow crowd in Tulane Gym, despite an incredible 66-point performance by the late "Pistol" Pete Maravich;

*** A 78-75 upset victory over second-ranked Cincinnati in 1977 in the Louisiana Superdome***

* Daryl Moreau's 30-footer at the buzzer to defeat Memphis State 49-47 in 1983, and Paul Thompson's 25-footer at the horn of the second overtime to top Florida State 80-79 on the road two nights later, shots topped only in drama and difficulty by Jerald Honeycutt's 1995 three-pointer at the buzzer to top FSU;
* A pair of marathons with Dean Smith's North Carolina clubs, though Tulane lost both games, 113-106 in four overtimes in 1976 in the 'Dome, and 70-68 in triple OT in 1982 in Chapel Hill. The latter came only after a Michael Jordan 25-footer at the regulation buzzer forced overtime;
* An 81-80 thriller over nationally ranked Memphis State in 1990, the Green Wave's first season back on the floor in five years;
* A win at Southern Mississippi in the final game of the 1991-92 regular season to wrap up Tulane's first Metro Conference title, and less than two weeks later, a victory over St. John's in the Green Wave's first NCAA Tournament game;
* And subsequent first-round NCAA victories over Kansas State in 1993, 55-53, and Brigham Young in 1995, 76-70, which helped continue a streak of five straight seasons in which Tulane won a postseason game.
Amazing. I actually went to all of those games but the ‘93 and ‘95 NCAA’s.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I would definitely say sometime during the Perry Clark / Posse days.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:50 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 am I went to the Tulane basketball page and found the answer i believe-

Wow, very jealous. That must have been fun. . . And mind boggling to see how we have been since the turn of the century
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:30 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:50 am

Wow, very jealous. That must have been fun. . . And mind boggling to see how we have been since the turn of the century
I was fortunate growing up with my dad covering Tulane he brought me to just about every game since I was about 5 or 6 years old. I had to say that I loved Tulane but Pistol Pete was my idol growing up. I loved that he scored 66pts but we won. Cincinnati in the Dome Roy Danforth coach . Jeff Cummings had a big game along with Pierre Gaudin. Metro Conference
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

We beat Memphis twice in 1983 when they were ranked 4th & then 9th.

Beat Indiana and Bobby Knight in 94 when they were 11th and I was at the USM game in 90 when we beat the dog-shit out of them when they were 14th.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
billow
High Tide

Highest ranked team Tulane ever beat was Cincinnati who at the time was #2 in the country in 77 Cummings, Gaudin, Bibbs, Zuniga, Fletchers, Mark & Jack, Keith Houston Etc
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good times.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was at most of those games Bi. Great fun. As to the game we won and he scored 66 Hap Glaudi was the local sportscaster on WWL-TV, the most watched station locally. In his coverage of the game afterwards he mentioned Pistol Pete over 20 times and Tulane only got mentioned a couple of times. My mother wrote him a letter complaining about it. To his credit he read it on the air and apologized.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

All great wins..but I still remember when we had NC beat in the Dome, went 4 OT's
https://goheels.com/news/1999/6/21/205460566.aspx
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:47 pm I was at most of those games Bi. Great fun. As to the game we won and he scored 66 Hap Glaudi was the local sportscaster on WWL-TV, the most watched station locally. In his coverage of the game afterwards he mentioned Pistol Pete over 20 times and Tulane only got mentioned a couple of times. My mother wrote him a letter complaining about it. To his credit he read it on the air and apologized.
Cool. Those were the days!!
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

billow wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:27 pm Highest ranked team Tulane ever beat was Cincinnati who at the time was #2 in the country in 77 Cummings, Gaudin, Bibbs, Zuniga, Fletchers, Mark & Jack, Keith Houston Etc
Yes. Great crowd in the Dome to watch it as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

The '81 team took natl champs MJ, Worthy and Sam Perkins to double OT at the Dean Dome, but a loss. The NIT comeback win over UNLV was glorious even if that was Tark's least favorite team (with his son at point). Beat Louisville the year of the scandal.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I would love to ask MJ if he remembers that game & Tulane team. He apparently (wasn’t there) hit the game tieing shot at the buzzer to force ot
HoustonWave
Tsunami

That’s a really good summary, Bi. I think there were also a couple big wins at Louisville’s Freedom Hall during the Perry Era. Like TPS, I was lucky enough to be at, or at least watch, most all of those. Hard to believe that we have been basketball irrelevant for about 25 years now.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I remember a weird game against Marquette, the year they won the National Championship, where the halftime score was something like Marquette 14 Tulane 9. We eventually lost the game,
which was played at the Superdome. We also lost to the same Marquette team either the year before or after, in Fogelman.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was sitting court side for that game. I had always liked McGuire. During warm ups Bo Ellis was goofing around and so McGuire called him out. Ellis told him "fuck you leave me alone "and Mcguire slinked away. Had no use for him after that.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:47 pm I was at most of those games Bi. Great fun. As to the game we won and he scored 66 Hap Glaudi was the local sportscaster on WWL-TV, the most watched station locally. In his coverage of the game afterwards he mentioned Pistol Pete over 20 times and Tulane only got mentioned a couple of times. My mother wrote him a letter complaining about it. To his credit he read it on the air and apologized.
Sounds like a great woman and alot of respect hap too !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:19 pm I would love to ask MJ if he remembers that game & Tulane team. He apparently (wasn’t there) hit the game tieing shot at the buzzer to force ot
I listend to Don Crockett on the radio from my dorm room in Monroe. We had the ball up 2 at mid court with 3 seconds to go. If memory serves, Ralph Davis threw an inbounds pass but two Tulane players collided, MJ picked up the ball with his back to the basket dribbled once, spun and knocked out the bottom of the basket. He, like me, was a true Frosh. He'd later be the only Freshman on the court filled with future NBA stars when he hits a 12 foot jumper in the Dome to give the Tar Heels a national championship.

Carolina used the clip of Michael hitting the shot against Tulane during their introduction to Carolina Basketball shows for a decade.

FWIW: Hunter's teams regularly take shots that, even if they went in, would land the player on Ned Fowler's bench. We ran plays designed to create good shots.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:54 pm I was sitting court side for that game. I had always liked McGuire. During warm ups Bo Ellis was goofing around and so McGuire called him out. Ellis told him "fuck you leave me alone "and Mcguire slinked away. Had no use for him after that.
Wow, what a story. So much for McGuire's authoritative image. That was such a strange game, with such a low halftime score--neither team could hit a basket in the 1H--they even missed some simple layups, I would have never expected Marquette to win the NC, after that late season game.

Another great game of that era was when we hosted highly ranked Arkansas, and their "triplets" (Moncrief, Brewer and Delph), in Fogelman. We had something like a 10-point lead at halftime, shot over 50% in the 2H, and still lost. The reason being was that Arkansas (and especially Marvin Delph) just bombed away in the 2H--they had to shoot over 70% in the 2H, and most would have been 3-pointers today. I was on the front row of that game, mid court, and Delph just stood about 10' from the mid court stripe while Arkansas would run their offense, and then they would suddenly kick the ball out to Delph, who immediately, and repeatedly, put up and hit these incredible rainbow shots from waaay out--it was incredible to watch from about 8' away. Quite a performance.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:14 pm I remember a weird game against Marquette, the year they won the National Championship, where the halftime score was something like Marquette 14 Tulane 9. We eventually lost the game,
which was played at the Superdome. We also lost to the same Marquette team either the year before or after, in Fogelman.
I was at the Fogleman game, sat right next to the Marquette bench, which was actually part of the stands back in de dey ,Dean the dream Meminger played in that game, they lost to Kentucky in the ncaa tournament
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:32 am
winwave wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:54 pm I was sitting court side for that game. I had always liked McGuire. During warm ups Bo Ellis was goofing around and so McGuire called him out. Ellis told him "fuck you leave me alone "and Mcguire slinked away. Had no use for him after that.
Wow, what a story. So much for McGuire's authoritative image. That was such a strange game, with such a low halftime score--neither team could hit a basket in the 1H--they even missed some simple layups, I would have never expected Marquette to win the NC, after that late season game.

Another great game of that era was when we hosted highly ranked Arkansas, and their "triplets" (Moncrief, Brewer and Delph), in Fogelman. We had something like a 10-point lead at halftime, shot over 50% in the 2H, and still lost. The reason being was that Arkansas (and especially Marvin Delph) just bombed away in the 2H--they had to shoot over 70% in the 2H, and most would have been 3-pointers today. I was on the front row of that game, mid court, and Delph just stood about 10' from the mid court stripe while Arkansas would run their offense, and then they would suddenly kick the ball out to Delph, who immediately, and repeatedly, put up and hit these incredible rainbow shots from waaay out--it was incredible to watch from about 8' away. Quite a performance.
I gave Butch Lee hell all night about those missed layups along with giving it to Ellis too. When the game ended they both were looking at me and pointed to the scoreboard. I laughed at them and told them they still couldn't make a simple lay up.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Over the years I’ve seen many great come through Tulane Gym (named at that time)
Maravich, Charlie Scott, Dan Issel, Louie Dampier, Dave Cowens, Dwyane Wade, Darrell Griffith and others. Of course many more when we played at the Dome. Worthy, Jordan, Bernard King, Ernie Grunfeld. And I’m sure I’m leaving some greats out.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

billow wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:27 pm Highest ranked team Tulane ever beat was Cincinnati who at the time was #2 in the country in 77 Cummings, Gaudin, Bibbs, Zuniga, Fletchers, Mark & Jack, Keith Houston Etc
This one. I remember this game. It was my freshman year, at the Dome, and they were #2 at the time. We may have other wins that were more dramatic or more important, but this is the one that was the highest ranked team we beat.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson