What Happened to Tulane FB?

The leading blog for Tulane fans. Coverage on FTW & Twitter for Green Wave Football, Hoops, Baseball and more.
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:26 am
Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:51 pm If Jack Curtis were still DC, we would probably be 4-3 right now and on course for a 7-5 season; not great but with Oklahoma and a Lane Kiffin rejuvenated Ole Miss on the schedule, acceptable. This one is on WF, and not Michael Fitts and the administration.
Agree . Sure that Fritz wishes he had this one back .
Heard Dannen forced Willie to make a change.

Wave Fan
Low Tide

Show Me wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:29 am
Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:51 pm If Jack Curtis were still DC, we would probably be 4-3 right now and on course for a 7-5 season; not great but with Oklahoma and a Lane Kiffin rejuvenated Ole Miss on the schedule, acceptable. This one is on WF, and not Michael Fitts and the administration.
I would take Jack Curtis back in a heartbeat.
msdos
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:54 am
Bigschtick wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:45 am And things at Tulane will never change unless and until we get a strong President who understands the benefits of a quality athletic program and the many ways it benefits the University. For many of the alumni, its one very important way we stay connected to the school! WE will never get that President because the people who hire could care less about a successful athletic program. How many here have started out being so optimistic preseason only for the football program to disappoint ! I think any enthusiasm at this point is a waste of energy. We got a bunch of people just milking the school. Results do not count here.
Getting the President to buy in would be the hardest part. From the perspective of the President:

1. The undergrad population does not cite athletics as one of their primary reasons for choosing Tulane over alternative institutions, so an improvement in football would have a negligible impact on applications (45k+), acceptance rate (<10%), and yield (45%) - all variables that are approaching their realistic limits regardless of the football product or anything else Tulane could do to improve them.

2. Tulane has been raising significant sums of money each year (i.e. $127M from fiscal year 2019-2020 - the 3rd highest in Tulane's history, the 4th straight year raising $120M+ and Tulane has raised $1.17B of its $1.3B for the Only the Audacious campaign), however, even with those sums Tulane is not able to fully support its academic side in the manner that it desires to be able to (i.e. Tulane doesn't meet 100% of need, Tulane needs more money to offer more scholarships in order to buy test scores for its ranking for its law and business schools, professors need more resources, etc.), and, given that that is the case, it would be difficult to justify siphoning money away from academics to give to athletics in light of 1 above and its on-going success in raising money without elite athletics.

and

3. Tulane could funnel tons money into athletics, but there would be no where close to a guarantee that Tulane would ever be able to join a conference where the athletic department would be generating enough revenue to give money back to the academic side even if Tulane started regularly winning 8-9 games.
This is a great post and is not necessarily unique to Tulane. But other ADs will go and secure funding on their own so that the University doesn't have to pull funding from the academic arm on a project that may not have ROI for the university as a whole.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Wave Fan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:00 am

Curtis is better than Hampton but Curtis wasn’t good enough to get us to the next level
MicMan
Swell

Excellent post by @Bigschtick! Remember, there are lots of ways to game the college ratings system.

But a bigger problem for Tulane and Fitts -- there isn't much space Uptown to build. And if you're a university president and you're not putting up shiny new buildings with donors' names on them, you're not doing your job. Unless there are plans to demolish old buildings to make room.

Hmm, I could see where a sparkling new basketball arena on the Freret gym footprint could fill that void...
nawlinspete
Riptide

MicMan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:00 pm Excellent post by @Bigschtick! Remember, there are lots of ways to game the college ratings system.

But a bigger problem for Tulane and Fitts -- there isn't much space Uptown to build. And if you're a university president and you're not putting up shiny new buildings with donors' names on them, you're not doing your job. Unless there are plans to demolish old buildings to make room.

Hmm, I could see where a sparkling new basketball arena on the Freret gym footprint could fill that void...
As I pointed out before with Mc Alister closed to vehicle traffic there is even more room on Frerret .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:31 pm
Wave Fan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:00 am
Curtis is better than Hampton but Curtis wasn’t good enough to get us to the next level
Lsu assistant coaches will be job hunting soon. Maybe we can attract some. Problem will be the pay. They probably making triple now of what we pay.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:56 pm Lsu assistant coaches will be job hunting soon. Maybe we can attract some. Problem will be the pay. They probably making triple now of what we pay.
What we pay is going to be a lot more than what they will be making at the end of the season.
Wave755
Tsunami

If true then Dannen "screwed the pooch" for this season. Our defense had been a no-show until last Saturday against Cincy. Lack of a defense is what destroyed this season.
glennc
Low Tide

A number of things. The anti athletic administration. Eamon . Kelly. Rick Dickson. Our present AD. Playing football in City Park then building a high school stadium on campus etc.
1989alum
Low Tide

Willie makes the Coaches Hot Seat for the first time...

https://coacheshotseat.com
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

1989alum wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:36 pm Willie makes the Coaches Hot Seat for the first time...

https://coacheshotseat.com
Amazing. Last year he was listed in the top G5 coaches most likely to get a P5 job
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

Tulane has an even bigger existential issue from an Athletics Standpoint. The last generation of local fans who still remember Tulane football of the 70s and early to mid 80s competing with and beating SEC schools are dwindling, and the stadium and renewed investment in football was mainly to appease them. The alumni that are coming up are mostly going to be living elsewhere and much less involved or interested in Tulane maintaining or attempting to maintain a major football program. Combine that with the coming split of P5 and G5 and Tulane being left behind in essentially all realignment scenarios and I just don't see where go from here but down. Who will be left to save the program from a 2003 type review. Maybe a few dozen fans who at this point probably wouldn't care enough to even drive down there and yell.
galvezwave
Swell

I’m in that number that came up in the late 70s. A lot of us old guys (me included) have an extreme lack of awareness or just this massive case of denial. It’s never coming back. The stadium size was calculated . It’s for a different generation. New students probably don’t even know we have football until they get there . If they’re inclined to support it, think they care about who the opponent is? Was there some last ditch pitch to go after the p5 money ? Yeah probably. It was half hearted and there wasn’t a chance . This is where we were headed all along. And sader , you’re correct, I wouldn’t bother to drive from galvez to Nola to even yell . Not sure why I even come to this board . Maybe i just find the whole story fascinating. Like slowing down to look at a car crash .
MicMan
Swell

Now the current admin is stuck with a bitty stadium -- an expensive asset -- they can't hope to fill. Here's an idea--put a roof on it with modular seating suitable for basketball and other events, like a mini Carrier Dome.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:38 am Now the current admin is stuck with a bitty stadium -- an expensive asset -- they can't hope to fill. Here's an idea--put a roof on it with modular seating suitable for basketball and other events, like a mini Carrier Dome.
Mic...I made that suggestion many times over the last few years..even provided the companies that can install an inflatable roof over Yulman, similar to the one that covered the stadium in Minneapolis..I have even provided the names for inflatable IPF's the same as the one used at the University of Texas...cost a paltry 4 million $$$$
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Eaglewave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:44 pm I agree with his take on Admissions but disagree with the schedule. We haven’t won game against a FBS team yet. When we scheduled Ole Miss years ago they weren’t very good. Its impossible to predict these things. They only thing easy to predict is that Tulane will continue disappoint no matter who we schedule. You know It’s bad when you begin lose recruits to La Tech and ULL.
We need to schedule La Tech and ULL every year or every other year and beat them to make sure the better recruits choose us. I agree with scheduling too many P5 teams! I only want to see a Ole Miss or Vanderbilt once a year.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:38 am Now the current admin is stuck with a bitty stadium -- an expensive asset -- they can't hope to fill. Here's an idea--put a roof on it with modular seating suitable for basketball and other events, like a mini Carrier Dome.
And, all of this over the fact that WF or Dannen or somebody? made a terrible choice for Defensive Coordinator for the 2021 football season. :roll: :clap:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

the silence from Tulane regarding anything about football is deafening.. Not one thing regarding fritz, facilities future plans...not one damn thing..at a time with all of the realignment news & rumors...nothing from Tulane.... I guess TD already has that ACC invite stuffed in his back pocket
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:59 pm the silence from Tulane regarding anything about football is deafening.. Not one thing regarding fritz, facilities future plans...not one damn thing..at a time with all of the realignment news & rumors...nothing from Tulane.... I guess TD already has that ACC invite stuffed in his back pocket
It's pretty damned odd that during a monumental shakeup of college athletics, our own athletic director has done nothing to reassure us or keep us informed. I did get a couple calls to renew my basketball season tickets and another letter asking me to be audacious by giving, so there's that.