Déjà Vu All Over Again

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave QB
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:41 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:26 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:07 pm I’m not interested in the “bowl friendly” schedule. If we get our ass kicked against decent schedules then so be it. That’s what Dannen and the administration deserve.
Agreed. We've had bowl-friendly schedules for quite a while now, and we've made consecutive bowls. But so have almost 80 other schools. And look where we've gotten today. Nowhere. Give me a Top 25 opponent any given Saturday over playing pattycake teams like ourselves.
We just tried that POV, and got losses, where do you think Fritz and FD will turn for the future?
We almost upset Oklahoma, and now we are on a damn 1-5 ventilator! It didn’t help our program. Why? Because we are not serious about big time Athletics. If we would have played ULM and USM instead of Oklahoma and Ole Piss, we would be 3-3 at worst right now with some winnable games ahead.

I know many of you hate this way of thinking with a passion and I don’t like it either, but it’s the only way for us to keep our football program in the win column and a destination for recruits and transfers. Deion Sanders is in the cupcake SWAC for crying out loud and is bringing in 4 & 5 star recruits and P-5 Transfers. This is an attention whore era, and there are a great number of 3-5 star recruits that wouldn’t mind playing a consistent 7+ win FBS G5 program that is often in Bowl Games.

When Tulane makes strides in our facilities and brings in Head Coaches with impressive resumes, I will be happy to see us take on Tennessee and Michigan State a game or two here and there. For now, I say we should at least keep the program attractive and in the winning column.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:31 am

Agreed. We've had bowl-friendly schedules for quite a while now, and we've made consecutive bowls. But so have almost 80 other schools. And look where we've gotten today. Nowhere. Give me a Top 25 opponent any given Saturday over playing pattycake teams like ourselves.
We just tried that POV, and got losses, where do you think Fritz and FD will turn for the future?
We almost upset Oklahoma, and now we are on a damn 1-5 ventilator! It didn’t help our program. Why? Because we are not serious about big time Athletics. If we would have played ULM and USM instead of Oklahoma and Ole Piss, we would be 3-3 at worst right now with some winnable games ahead.

I know many of you hate this way of thinking with a passion and I don’t like it either, but it’s the only way for us to keep our football program in the win column and a destination for recruits and transfers. Deion Sanders is in the cupcake SWAC for crying out loud and is bringing in 4 & 5 star recruits and P-5 Transfers. This is an attention whore era, and there are a great number of 3-5 star recruits that wouldn’t mind playing a consistent 7+ win FBS G5 program that is often in Bowl Games.

When Tulane makes strides in our facilities and brings in Head Coaches with impressive resumes, I will be happy to see us take on Tennessee and Michigan State a game or two here and there. For now, I say we should at least keep the program attractive and in the winning column.
ULM, with a good coaching staff, beat Liberty last nite,
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:07 pm I’m not interested in the “bowl friendly” schedule. If we get our ass kicked against decent schedules then so be it. That’s what Dannen and the administration deserve.
WaveQB has been preaching that for years. Let's call it what it is - dumbing down the schedule. Right out of Dickson's playbook. We've been Tulaned again.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You've reached a new low by saying 4 and 5 star players would come to Tulane because we play weak ass schedules and go the the Cure Bowls of the world.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 am

Congrats to RR. We better hope they aren't on our future schedule because they'd tear us up.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:47 am

You've reached a new low by saying 4 and 5 star players would come to Tulane because we play weak ass schedules and go the the Cure Bowls of the world.
If SMU can go to the Boca Raton Bowl or Frisco Bowl and find ways to land a 4 star QB, Tulane can. It’s not impossible.

We just watched SWAC Jackson State land some 4 star recruits recruits! Transfers or signees, so what. They are 4 star recruits and we can bring a few in if we are winning. We see 4 star P5 transfers leaving for G5 winning programs all of the time.

I know I am in the minority, and I respect all of you who want better for our program, but I am done writing, calling and begging for better! I have resulted to wishing upon a star AD to be hired at Tulane and tell our fans that they are tired of just winning 7+ wins and NOLA Bowls and wants to raise the bar!

Once again, we aren’t serious about big time football! Until we are, I bring in FCS programs like Southern, Nicholls, Grambling, Lamar, Murray State, Mississippi Valley State, and Houston Baptist on our schedule every damn year. Unfortunately, we have had plenty of better home game attendance numbers vs FCS programs than some FBS opponents that have played us in Yulman and the Dome! 😞

Bring on Non-Conference games with Texas State, Rice, ULM, USM, New Mexico State, Akron, UConn, Old Dominion and North Texas! What has getting smashed by P5 programs gotten us? Yulman Stadium and a coach from Georgia Southern?

I can live with 1 Game vs a Duke, Boston College, Kansas, Rutgers, BYU, and “maybe” Vanderbilt if we are taking our vitamins.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:48 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 am

Congrats to RR. We better hope they aren't on our future schedule because they'd tear us up.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:14 am

If SMU can go to the Boca Raton Bowl or Frisco Bowl and find ways to land a 4 star QB, Tulane can. It’s not impossible.

We just watched SWAC Jackson State land some 4 star recruits recruits! Transfers or signees, so what. They are 4 star recruits and we can bring a few in if we are winning. We see 4 star P5 transfers leaving for G5 winning programs all of the time.

I know I am in the minority, and I respect all of you who want better for our program, but I am done writing, calling and begging for better! I have resulted to wishing upon a star AD to be hired at Tulane and tell our fans that they are tired of just winning 7+ wins and NOLA Bowls and wants to raise the bar!

Once again, we aren’t serious about big time football! Until we are, I bring in FCS programs like Southern, Nicholls, Grambling, Lamar, Murray State, Mississippi Valley State, and Houston Baptist on our schedule every damn year. Unfortunately, we have had plenty of better home game attendance numbers vs FCS programs than some FBS opponents that have played us in Yulman and the Dome! 😞

Bring on Non-Conference games with Texas State, Rice, ULM, USM, New Mexico State, Akron, UConn, Old Dominion and North Texas! What has getting smashed by P5 programs gotten us? Yulman Stadium and a coach from Georgia Southern?

I can live with 1 Game vs a Duke, Boston College, Kansas, Rutgers, BYU, and “maybe” Vanderbilt if we are taking our vitamins.
SMU can get a 4 star because it has better facilities than us. Jackson State has Sanders. He's the mega draw.

As to your wish to play a sissy schedule Tulane would just lose to them too. Anyone who has followed Tulane athletics knows that. Pay attention.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:54 am

SMU can get a 4 star because it has better facilities than us. Jackson State has Sanders. He's the mega draw.

As to your wish to play a sissy schedule Tulane would just lose to them too. Anyone who has followed Tulane athletics knows that. Pay attention.
Anyone who has followed Tulane Athletics knows that we would lose to a strong schedule as well! We could pull out plenty pretty schedules in the past 4 decades and dot down our horrible records. Nobody wants to go through 2-10 and 4-8 seasons anymore!

When are you going to wake up and realize that our administration doesn’t want to be #3 Cincinnati? What visitor side of Yulman aren’t you seeing? Wake up and smell the Fogelman coffee? Tulane wants to be a Metro Conference Contender! Noting more!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:37 am

Anyone who has followed Tulane Athletics knows that we would lose to a strong schedule as well! We could pull out plenty pretty schedules in the past 4 decades and dot down our horrible records. Nobody wants to go through 2-10 and 4-8 seasons anymore!

When are you going to wake up and realize that our administration doesn’t want to be #3 Cincinnati? What visitor side of Yulman aren’t you seeing? Wake up and smell the Fogelman coffee? Tulane wants to be a Metro Conference Contender! Noting more!
Well we were able to muster some 6-6 records against this level. Now we'll be going 2-10 and 4-8 against your sissy schedule.

I've smelled it longer than anyone. I have beat the drum as to our lack of commitment and lack of facilities while others enabled this demise by saying all is well all the time at Tulame. The day is finally here. I hope all involved in our demise are proud of themselves.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Yea. Tulane always has, and always will strive for mediocrity. The real purpose of the university is to keep a bunch of “do nothing” bureaucrats employed—and heaven forbid any lofty goals or accountability.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:19 am

Well we were able to muster some 6-6 records against this level. Now we'll be going 2-10 and 4-8 against your sissy schedule.

I've smelled it longer than anyone. I have beat the drum as to our lack of commitment and lack of facilities while others enabled this demise by saying all is well all the time at Tulame. The day is finally here. I hope all involved in our demise are proud of themselves.
The 6-6 record didn’t come vs powerhouses. I am not sure what Tulane you have been watching, but our best years for the past decades have been when we played FCS teams along with a Bowl Friendly schedule. No matter what you fool yourself into believing, Tulane doesn’t want big time football.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:41 pm

The 6-6 record didn’t come vs powerhouses. I am not sure what Tulane you have been watching, but our best years for the past decades have been when we played FCS teams along with a Bowl Friendly schedule. No matter what you fool yourself into believing, Tulane doesn’t want big time football.
One of Tulane’s primary athletic issues is that it doesn’t have a meaningful fan base, and it would honestly help the program build such a fanbase with causal sports fans or alumni by winning games even if those wins weren’t against P5s. Through that lens, every 6-6 (or better) season is a step in the right direction regardless of the names or records of the programs that Tulane defeated on that schedule.

The above isn’t in support of doing nothing, but it is in support of not complaining about conference affiliation or membership if Tulane cannot be competitive with the teams on its schedule.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:30 am

One of Tulane’s primary athletic issues is that it doesn’t have a meaningful fan base, and it would honestly help the program build such a fanbase with causal sports fans or alumni by winning games even if those wins weren’t against P5s. Through that lens, every 6-6 (or better) season is a step in the right direction regardless of the names or records of the programs that Tulane defeated on that schedule.

The above isn’t in support of doing nothing, but it is in support of not complaining about conference affiliation or membership if Tulane cannot be competitive with the teams on its schedule.
Step in the right direction? Three straight joke bowl games grew the fanbase by about 5% at best and now that is gone with the joke performance this year.

Again, it is over folks, we are part of the forgotten, and probably will be towards the bottom of the new AAC/CUSA hybrid. IT IS OVER. Enjoy the occasional above .500 TU seasons like the past. We had a chance and did not go all in. Now the money we spent was essentially wasted. A horrible strategic blunder. Yulmen and Fogelman will continue to be empty and the money spent on those assets and Hertz was totally wasted.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:40 am Step in the right direction? Three straight joke bowl games grew the fanbase by about 5% at best and now that is gone with the joke performance this year.
💯 this.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

First off 6-6 isn't good enough. We didn't do it against FCS teams. Like most others we play one a year. We did it while being in the AAC the clear 6th best conference. I don't know what Tulane football you've been watching but when we drop down in conference stature we drop down as a program. So like I said we'll go 2-10,4-8 against your sissy schedule just making things worse. Of course I know Tulane isn't committed to big time football. I've said it longer and louder than anyone. Pay attention.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Right from Rick Dickson's playbook. Dumb down the schedule and all will be well. NOT!!! We see right through that. It just continues to drive people away. Pure idiocy.
nawlinspete
Riptide

For the record in the course of his stewardship Dickson did get us on the Oklahoma and Ohio State schedules ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:26 am

Right from Rick Dickson's playbook. Dumb down the schedule and all will be well. NOT!!! We see right through that. It just continues to drive people away. Pure idiocy.
The schedule will be dumbed down automatically due to conference realignment, so the point is a bit unclear.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:22 am
winwave wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:26 am

The schedule will be dumbed down automatically due to conference realignment, so the point is a bit unclear.
You say it doesn’t matter who we beat as long as we win. That’s dumbing down the schedule, the OOC mainly. It’s been tried byDickson in various sports and it doesn’t work.
Wave QB
Swell

It’s sad, but true! I agree with you. P5 beat downs don’t help a program that is already trying to win an ass kicking contest with 1 foot!

Until we land an administration that wants to see more 1998 seasons and better, we have to at least be known as a Bowl program. We are a lower tier G5 program pretending to be something that we aren’t. Crying and begging for us to be a P5 is a waste of time. The Big 12, ACC and SEC aren’t going to call us! We can’t even win the American! We have to get to a point where 6-7 wins is disappointing. We were almost there before getting excited about games with Oklahoma and Ole Miss.

It’s amazing, we were 1 TD away from believing that we turned a corner at Tulane vs Oklahoma. However, we are now back to reality. We are scrapping and scraping for wins!
Wave QB
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:14 am For the record in the course of his stewardship Dickson did get us on the Oklahoma and Ohio State schedules ....

Sure did.
Wave QB
Swell

Hey @Winwave , here we are with this 2022 Schedule that kicked and scratched our Athletic Department to to put together for the sake of getting our program some early attention and confidence. The Bowl Friendly opponents of Week 1 & 2 gave us a much needed spark to set off a fire in Week 3. We took care of business against a non powerhouse P-5 and now we have some type of attention on our football program.

I begged to see the following non traditional powerhouse P5 teams on our upcoming schedules as well:

ACC- Duke, Wake Forrest, Boston College
Big 12- Iowa State, Kansas State,
Big Ten- Purdue, Northwestern
PAC- Colorado, Arizona
SEC- Vanderbilt, South Carolina,

In my eyes, we have some very good looking schedules coming up. I am hoping that we take advantage of this 2022 Schedule and don’t lay an egg vs USM. (I think we will find a way to win that game.)

Anyway, congratulations to the Wave on taking care of business vs a beatable P-5 opponent after 2 regular season weeks of building chemistry and confidence. Let’s keep the W’s coming.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No the schedule you wanted wouldn't even have them on it. Your schedule was one designed to just go 6-6 and go to the nobodygivesashitbowl.com. You stated that over and over. What I have wanted is to break through and win the conference and get the NY6 Bowl. I said we had that chance this year. so I hope we don't make the mistake that Tulane has made so many times before in moments like this and think we've arrived. Let's keep going 1-0.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I would kill to schedule Texas, FSU, USC, Nebraska (maybe Miami). Powerhouse name brand programs that have hugely underperformed for awhile and we could beat. Give them a 3 for 1 whatever