Déjà Vu All Over Again

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Reading all of these posts about coaching, facilities, conference re-alignment, etc., it just makes me sick to my stomach. We are in a worse position now for conference realignment than we've ever been in the past. And barring a miracle, it's too late. Read that again.

The saddest part is we ALL have the SAME discussions every 5-6 years. Like clockwork. Go back in time on this forum to the Toledo years, then the CJ years, then the Fritz years. Go back in time on this forum to the Cowen/Dickson, and now the Fitts/Dannen years. And those are just instances from when this forum has been in existence (the last 11 years). We all know this pattern goes back for much longer, decades and decades.

The common denominator in all of this is Tulane. We hire the same AD's, hire the same Coaches, recruit the same type players, and lack the commitment from the very top to win, over and over again.

It hasn't changed.
It's not changing.
And I truly believe it will not change.

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

It was crystal clear a decade ago that you either go all in or all out. Now TU went half ass and now are basically worse off if Cowen had just cancelled everything and went D3 like emory. We have basically wasted our big donor dollars, used up space on campus that could have been used for better housing/academic buildings, athletic ops or scholarships. We lose millions on athletics which could have been used for STEM. Now we will back to CUSA irrelevance.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Given all the hype heading into this season and the goodwill built up over the last few seasons, it's difficult to fixate on facilities being why Tulane is potentially looking at a 3-9 season, as facilities, or the lack thereof, are not why Tulane lost to UAB or ECU. Tulane may build its bowl resumes by primarily feasting on lesser teams under Fritz', however, it's not feasting this year and that's 100% on Fritz as he does not have the team ready to play. Unfortunately, (1) Fritz has a super long contract and (2) no P5 is going to steal him, so we are where we are right now and it's extremely unlikely that Tulane will fire him because (1) there are no coaches available that would guarantee success and come to Tulane for what Tulane is willing to pay and (2) the academic side would riot at all of money spent on it when Tulane does not have the kind of money to do so and still maintain the academic side.
TURVS71
Swell

First, I never will regret building an on campus stadium.
Of course I would have preferred 35-40k that’s obvious ,BUT that size can be obtained with the proper planning/building and if Tulane has the balls to do what it wants on its OWN property and doesn’t succumb to the pressures of the uppity neighbors. To me, there was nothing MORE embarrassing than “tailgating” in/on a cement parking garage and the site of our few fans in that cavernous dome.

Secondly, MY frustration is with the current losing BUT I am more frustrated that we are AGAIN in the midst of conference realignment and we, Tulane, are in the same position as the last time. No outward commitment whether it be public speech from the powers that be to our total lack of moving forward with facilities. No progress in positioning Tulane in the realignment picture. .All I see, and please advise otherwise, is that we converted a souvenir store and some additional space to a “study” location.

It is Troy Dannen’s responsibility to move the athletic department forward. On that note, he has failed. Failed in the fundraising. Failed in the facilities. Yea, it’s nice that he talks to the fans and has gatherings at his home BUT where is the real progress????
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's a question. I know that there are times where Troy had the Greenbackers over at his home, although not sure its happened the last couple of years due to Covid. But maybe at a Greenbackers meeting that he attends, why doesn't someone DIRECTLY ASK him this question. "As AD, its YOUR responsibility to move the athletic department forward. Please explain why we're no better off than we were when you arrived?"

Simple, direct, to the point. If not a Greenbacker, then the media. Someone who has access to him needs to publicly ask that question.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

This isn't a facilities thread. Although they do play a part and are related "under the hood."

I am talking bigger picture. Institutional-wise.

We, the FANS who expect WINS, CHAMPIONSHIPS, and COMMITMENT, are wanting a plan and vision from Tulane regarding athletics that they are neither capable of nor want to do.

That is the sad reality.
Roll Wave!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:53 pm It is on Fritz and his staff to be doing this poorly but the lack of facilities is definitely part of the reason we are doing so poorly. if we had spent the $85 million on the proper facilities we would have better coaches and players and we would be beating those teams and others. To be clear no one is absolving Fritz and his staff of blame for the current debacle but due to our lack of facilities we don't have better coaching and better players and are stuck with this mess.
Maybe, however, Fritz was very well regarded at the time of his hire and he did have some initial success in setting a floor for Tulane of about 5-6 wins (prior to this season), and, even if Tulane had paid more money to coaches or had better facilities, assistant coaches were going to leave to pursue other opportunities if they did well at their jobs. Maybe Fritz completely botched his hires in the case, however, Tulane is not in a position to fire him this season as the floor that he set earned him a mulligan with the powers that be no matter how bad this season gets (in addition to Tulane's general money woes playing role here*).

*I'm still hurt that SMU, Baylor, and TCU have all passed Tulane in terms of endowment size. That should never have happened.
NotJtS
Low Tide

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:37 pm Here's a question. I know that there are times where Troy had the Greenbackers over at his home, although not sure its happened the last couple of years due to Covid. But maybe at a Greenbackers meeting that he attends, why doesn't someone DIRECTLY ASK him this question. "As AD, its YOUR responsibility to move the athletic department forward. Please explain why we're no better off than we were when you arrived?"

Simple, direct, to the point. If not a Greenbacker, then the media. Someone who has access to him needs to publicly ask that question.
Because then he wouldn't have them over at his home. It's a give and take with him. Not saying I agree with it, but that's how it's been. He's shared info with them that has been confidential, and hasn't been rah rah Go Tulane in a very long time. Put it like this, there's very good reason why he hasn't been present, active, and vocal as much this past year plus... and it has nothing to do with Covid.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:47 pm This isn't a facilities thread. Although they do play a part and are related "under the hood."

We, the FANS who expect WINS, CHAMPIONSHIPS, and COMMITMENT, are wanting a plan and vision from Tulane regarding athletics that they are neither capable of nor want to do.

That is the sad reality.
It is related. You want to know why we aren't building the necessary facilities to move the program ahead. Well anyone that knows Tulane knows that Tulane has produced only a few true big money people. They also know of those few an extremely small few are willing to donate to Tulane athletics. So we don't need an announcement from Tulane. Look at the monument to mediocrity and you'll see where all those donors money went with nothing left to build the football ops., the IPF and the new Arena. So really all we are waiting on to hear from them is are they going to go D-3 or just drop it all together. The likely answer is D-3 because of a duty to those who donated to the last nail in the coffin of Tulane athletics. That's the truly very sad reality.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:48 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:53 pm It is on Fritz and his staff to be doing this poorly but the lack of facilities is definitely part of the reason we are doing so poorly. if we had spent the $85 million on the proper facilities we would have better coaches and players and we would be beating those teams and others. To be clear no one is absolving Fritz and his staff of blame for the current debacle but due to our lack of facilities we don't have better coaching and better players and are stuck with this mess.
Maybe, however, Fritz was very well regarded at the time of his hire and he did have some initial success in setting a floor for Tulane of about 5-6 wins (prior to this season), and, even if Tulane had paid more money to coaches or had better facilities, assistant coaches were going to leave to pursue other opportunities if they did well at their jobs. Maybe Fritz completely botched his hires in the case, however, Tulane is not in a position to fire him this season as the floor that he set earned him a mulligan with the powers that be no matter how bad this season gets (in addition to Tulane's general money woes playing role here*).

*I'm still hurt that SMU, Baylor, and TCU have all passed Tulane in terms of endowment size. That should never have happened.
Fritz was well liked but not well regarded. If he was we would have heard of him before he got the job. If he was so well regarded he wouldn't have had to wait so long to get a job at this level and he certainly would have done better than Tulane if he was that well regarded. He doesn't have the connections at this level to make good hires to replace those that leave. As I have said if we had better facilities we would have done better than getting Fritz. Instead everything is on the fritz.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:04 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:47 pm This isn't a facilities thread. Although they do play a part and are related "under the hood."

That is the sad reality.
It is related. You want to know why we aren't building the necessary facilities to move the program ahead. Well anyone that knows Tulane knows that Tulane has produced only a few true big money people. They also know of those few an extremely small few are willing to donate to Tulane athletics. So we don't need an announcement from Tulane. Look at the monument to mediocrity and you'll see where all those donors money went with nothing left to build the football ops., the IPF and the new Arena. So really all we are waiting on to hear from them is are they going to go D-3 or just drop it all together. The likely answer is D-3 because of a duty to those who donated to the last nail in the coffin of Tulane athletics. That's the truly very sad reality.
I don't want to know why we aren't building the necessary facilities. I know why. It's been systematic all the way from Gibson Hall.

I want to know why Tulane chooses to not do any of the things that could turn athletics around, and propel the university.
Roll Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:21 pm

That is the sad reality.
I don't want to know why we aren't building the necessary facilities. I know why. It's been systematic all the way from Gibson Hall.

I want to know why Tulane chooses to not do any of the things that could turn athletics around, and propel the university.
As I posted the money is no longer there for it. Actions speak louder than words. Tulane took the action of building a piss poor excuse for D-1 stadium over building what the programs needed. They have told you and everyone that you got what you asked for and that's it. On top of that in 1949 Tulane clearly stated they don't believe athletics should overshadow academics and have recruited administrators, staff and students that hold to that belief. Dannen wanted to build a football ops. for $35 million and it could not be raised. So there was a want to but there was no money left.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:23 pm

As I posted the money is no longer there for it. Actions speak louder than words. Tulane took the action of building a piss poor excuse for D-1 stadium over building what the programs needed. They have told you and everyone that you got what you asked for and that's it. On top of that in 1949 Tulane clearly stated they don't believe athletics should overshadow academics and have recruited administrators, staff and students that hold to that belief.
I know the money is no longer there for it. Again, I'm not talking about that aspect. I'm talking about what's bolded. I want to know why (not from you, but from Tulane) that thinking is still prevalent today, 71 years later.
Roll Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:29 pm

As I posted the money is no longer there for it. Actions speak louder than words. Tulane took the action of building a piss poor excuse for D-1 stadium over building what the programs needed. They have told you and everyone that you got what you asked for and that's it. On top of that in 1949 Tulane clearly stated they don't believe athletics should overshadow academics and have recruited administrators, staff and students that hold to that belief.
I know the money is no longer there for it. Again, I'm not talking about that aspect. I'm talking about what's bolded. I want to know why (not from you, but from Tulane) that thinking is still prevalent today, 71 years later.
First off you should have asked Tulane directly then rather than posting about it here. Secondly as I've told you they have given their answer through their actions over and over again- they believe athletics needs to be in a space much below academics.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:42 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:29 pm

First off you should have asked Tulane directly then rather than posting about it here. Secondly as I've told you they have given their answer through their actions over and over again- they believe athletics needs to be in a space much below academics.
I don't need to ask them. Words are just that. Words. And we all want action. They could show a commitment by breaking their own 70+ year old mold.

- By considering other ways of fundraising other than donors.
- By not rewarding mediocrity with contract extensions.
- By taking drastic measures to use the wasted space on campus (Rosen, Turchin, etc).

But you're absolutely correct. At the end of the day, their repeated actions have only shown that nothing big-picture and forward thinking has changed towards athletics. It is and will always be academics.
Roll Wave!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:48 pm

It happened because about 20 years ago, instead of working hard to connect with alums and build the endowment, Tulane, as usual, opted for the easier tract of recruiting Chinese students who would fully pay its inflated tuition. Since that gravy train is now ending,
Tulane has a big problem. It’s also why Fitts finally had to start his Audacious endowment campaign, which is losing steam. While we all focus on how the athletic program is hitting new lows, the fact is the entire university is headed for some hard times. The screw ups haven’t just been on the athletic side of the equation. Fitts is probably looking for his next job as hard as Dannen is. The BOT has never entrusted Tulane’s leadership to people who really love Tulane. Our presidents have been as incompetent as our ADs and coaches. And just like our few good coaches leave, so did our one good president—Hackney. Irrelevance and mediocrity is our future.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

People, The Money IS there...ask any Financial institution for a "Loan"...it's called "Investment Spending"...but then again that is a "Business Term" something, I am not sure Tulane knows anything about
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

It’s interesting to note, that while Dannen couldn’t raise $35MM for a football ops building, during the same period, the Business School Dean was able to raise the same amount in less than a year, for the new b-school addition. It’s all about effort, and the relationship that you have, or in Dannen’s case have not, built with the donor base.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave QB
Swell

That is the sad reality.

We are not serious about Athletics man. Bring on another Mississippi Valley, UMass Wyoming and USM schedule so we can have a chance to be in the winning column. I spent too many years crying, begging and pleading for a better vision for our athletic program, but will not get it! Just as many of our fans, we will not get what we want! Why? Because Tulane University does not want to be a legitimate Top 25 program. Our facilities answers that question loud and clear. Our process of hiring coaches is abundantly clear that we are fine with small time sports.

I am praying for another Bowl Friendly schedule!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:58 pm

That is the sad reality.

We are not serious about Athletics man. Bring on another Mississippi Valley, UMass Wyoming and USM schedule so we can have a chance to be in the winning column. I spent too many years crying, begging and pleading for a better vision for our athletic program, but will not get it! Just as many of our fans, we will not get what we want! Why? Because Tulane University does not want to be a legitimate Top 25 program. Our facilities answers that question loud and clear. Our process of hiring coaches is abundantly clear that we are fine with small time sports.

With our lack of facilities we'll need really weak schedules to meet that low bar threshold.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:15 pm
Wave QB wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:58 pm

With our lack of facilities we'll need really weak schedules to meet that low bar threshold.
The "Low Bar" threshold U speak of, will go nicely with the"no score" needed for admittance....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

I’m not interested in the “bowl friendly” schedule. If we get our ass kicked against decent schedules then so be it. That’s what Dannen and the administration deserve.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:07 pm I’m not interested in the “bowl friendly” schedule. If we get our ass kicked against decent schedules then so be it. That’s what Dannen and the administration deserve.
Agreed. We've had bowl-friendly schedules for quite a while now, and we've made consecutive bowls. But so have almost 80 other schools. And look where we've gotten today. Nowhere. Give me a Top 25 opponent any given Saturday over playing pattycake teams like ourselves.
Roll Wave!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:26 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:07 pm I’m not interested in the “bowl friendly” schedule. If we get our ass kicked against decent schedules then so be it. That’s what Dannen and the administration deserve.
Agreed. We've had bowl-friendly schedules for quite a while now, and we've made consecutive bowls. But so have almost 80 other schools. And look where we've gotten today. Nowhere. Give me a Top 25 opponent any given Saturday over playing pattycake teams like ourselves.
We just tried that POV, and got losses, where do you think Fritz and FD will turn for the future?
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:41 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:26 pm
We just tried that POV, and got losses, where do you think Fritz and FD will turn for the future?
Honestly, at this point, I would say another opportunity/school. There is nothing I can see that tells me that they aren't in this just for the salary and job security. Only at Tulane.
Roll Wave!