Facilities

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

I am to the point where I would do the following: ( will be controversial but)

Take over the baseball footprint ( relocate if possible, if not, drop the sport. Money is in football and baseball has been dismal for quite some time.

Secure pledges and funds to build an IPF and athletic complex on the footprint. ( donations or bond debt)

Double deck north and west sides of Yulman

Make a strong commitment/ guarantee to a P5 while doing this.

Recruiting quality WILL
Improve dramatically.

A commitment is doing something and striving for a goal during the process. Waiting for things to improve before doing these things ( commitment) is a losers attitude…..

Baseball is fast becoming non-relevant. Larger football conference check payouts ARE real and will pay the bills and produce $$ to flow to the academic side of the university.

Tulane is afraid to “bond” debt athletic facilities but has no problem with what has been and is being constructed on campus. I would bet that bond debt has been issued for those projects.

You can not expect others to invest in you if you don’t invest in yourself. That is quite evident with Tulane Athletics.

This can be done if those In the right place WANT it!!

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Wave Fan
Low Tide

I suspect Tulane wants to be invited to a P5 conference first, an then will spend the money to upgrade athletic facilities. Problem is it doesn’t work like that.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Tulane sucking in football has nothing to do with baseball.
Tulane could drop baseball, demolish GFATS and take every dime they invest in baseball and put it into the football program and it would have little to no impact.
TURVS71
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:44 pm Tulane sucking in football has nothing to do with baseball.
Tulane could drop baseball, demolish GFATS and take every dime they invest in baseball and put it into the football program and it would have little to no impact.

Wow! You obviously don’t take time to read!!
You’ve taken only a part of what I said….Your comment doesn’t address what I stated .
I didn’t say use the baseball budget, I was much more specific…..obviously you commented before fully grasping the comments.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:11 pm I am to the point where I would do the following: ( will be controversial but)

Take over the baseball footprint ( relocate if possible, if not, drop the sport. Money is in football and baseball has been dismal for quite some time.

Secure pledges and funds to build an IPF and athletic complex on the footprint. ( donations or bond debt)

Double deck north and west sides of Yulman

Make a strong commitment/ guarantee to a P5 while doing this.

Recruiting quality WILL
Improve dramatically.

A commitment is doing something and striving for a goal during the process. Waiting for things to improve before doing these things ( commitment) is a losers attitude…..

Baseball is fast becoming non-relevant. Larger football conference check payouts ARE real and will pay the bills and produce $$ to flow to the academic side of the university.

Tulane is afraid to “bond” debt athletic facilities but has no problem with what has been and is being constructed on campus. I would bet that bond debt has been issued for those projects.

You can not expect others to invest in you if you don’t invest in yourself. That is quite evident with Tulane Athletics.

This can be done if those In the right place WANT it!!
At the very least relocate baseball-few students attend baseball games. And you’re right, Tulane will have to make the investment first in order to get a P5 invite. I’d love to see Tulane do exactly what you outline. While I love watching g games in Yulman, it looks ridiculous.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
gbgreenie
Surge

Facilities are not the problem, the fanbase is!!!
https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/ ... ecruiting/

Athletes have mentioned the importance of the coaching staff, the university’s academic offerings, and surrounding environment (such as urban or rural campus) as important factors when choosing a school. Student-athletes also place a similar importance on facilities as non-athlete college students; this doesn’t provide much distinction on whether facilities can sway student-athletes, but may hint at its overemphasis in the recruitment process.

While a large number of athletic programs have been building or completing facilities projects, our study found little to no impact from new athletic facilities on the recruitment of potential football or men’s basketball recruits. The direct impact football projects represented the largest amount of facility projects during the time period of the study, yet their returns in recruiting were mostly non-significant. There were no recruiting improvements for direct football projects during the year before facility completion, nor the first and second year after the facility was completed. Only in the year right before a project was completed was there a marginally significant effect which showed that team recruiting rankings slightly improved before a facility project was completed.
Dave breslin
Swell

Win constantly and you will have a fan base. Suck on the field and no one will show up. Don’t totally agree with the article. Facilities do play a part other schools have done it. We haven’t
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:26 pm Facilities are not the problem, the fanbase is!!!
You're 💯 % correct. You're a "fan" and a HUGE part of the problem.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
gbgreenie
Surge

Dave breslin wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:08 pm Win constantly and you will have a fan base. Suck on the field and no one will show up. Don’t totally agree with the article. Facilities do play a part other schools have done it. We haven’t
Guess you can't read, they had some resemblance of a fanbase prior to improving facilities. Only a fool wastes money on a hope and a pray. Will never happen at Tulane.
TURVS71
Swell

I call BS on the “facilities” don’t relate to recruiting improvement. Just take a walk around Alabama, I Did, take a walk around Oklahoma, I did, take a walk around Auburn, I did, take a walk around Ole Miss, I did. Where would YOU want or play football? One thing is for sure . Build great facilities, get in a P5 conference and get a HUGE multimillion dollar check no matter what you do on the field!!!!!!
anEngineer
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:11 pm I call BS on the “facilities” don’t relate to recruiting improvement. Just take a walk around Alabama, I Did, take a walk around Oklahoma, I did, take a walk around Auburn, I did, take a walk around Ole Miss, I did. Where would YOU want or play football? One thing is for sure . Build great facilities, get in a P5 conference and get a HUGE multimillion dollar check no matter what you do on the field!!!!!!
Where do you intend to build these grandiose facilities? You're talking about schools with campuses that are the size of towns.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:13 am
TURVS71 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:11 pm I call BS on the “facilities” don’t relate to recruiting improvement. Just take a walk around Alabama, I Did, take a walk around Oklahoma, I did, take a walk around Auburn, I did, take a walk around Ole Miss, I did. Where would YOU want or play football? One thing is for sure . Build great facilities, get in a P5 conference and get a HUGE multimillion dollar check no matter what you do on the field!!!!!!
Where do you intend to build these grandiose facilities? You're talking about schools with campuses that are the size of towns.
Move Turchin, which is a massive waste of valuable on-campus space.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
gbgreenie
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:19 am
Apples and oranges, fans built all those facillities, They always packed their stadiums that paid for improvements. You guys need some kind of education. No one throws money in the garbage and hopes the fans will come!!! Face the real world!!!

https://thesportjournal.org/article/a-m ... ic-events/

An interesting outcome of this study is the relatively low importance
of win/loss records in explaining attendance.

Based on this sample, encouraging connections to players (Factor 5: Team
Familiarity) and the college (College Affiliation), in that order, will
have the greatest impact on encouraging heavy use. The results suggest
the following guidelines, roughly in order of importance, for encouraging
heavy users in small college basketball. These suggestions should be viewed
as complementary to the findings of Wells et al. (2000). Although their
study involved small-college football and our study basketball, we suspect
the same would be true for other sports.

Make team members accessible to fellow students and community
members.[/i]
[/i] Do not have special dormitories, etc. which would separate student
athletes from fellow students. Also, encourage other participants in the
sporting event (e.g., cheerleaders, members of the pep band, etc.) to
interact with students and the community.
Encourage identification of the community and students with the
college.

Help potential fans understand basketball better in an attempt
to convert people to true fans.
Sessions with coaches and players in which
past games are analyzed and current strategy is discussed might be helpful.
These sessions would help with the previous two bullets as well.
Ensure awareness of the times and dates of games. Merely printing
a schedule is not enough.
Market segments must be identified in terms
of how best to aggressively inform them of the times and dates.
Schedule college events to avoid conflicts with the sports schedule.
Use promotions and other activities to improve the excitement
and entertainment value of the sporting event, taking care to make sure
that these activities are complementary to the event and do not detract
from it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I suggested to TD that Turchin be moved to the property on Jeff hwy at the Orleans, Jeff Parish line. I was told that would never happen and he considered the conversation ended
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:59 am

I suggested to TD that Turchin be moved to the property on Jeff hwy at the Orleans, Jeff Parish line. I was told that would never happen and he considered the conversation ended. Question, besides "sun bathing" what is Brown Field used for, is it large enuff for an " Football OP's" building ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

When TD was trying to raise the $35 million for the football ops. building it was to be built on the mini practice area. The Rosen lot was going to be where they built the new arena and practice facility till they got the $50 million price tag and thought they could build a legit D-1 stadium for that amount. :roll:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Besides sun bathing, what is the Brown Field used for...can a Football ops be built there ??
TURVS71
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:35 am

Apples and oranges, fans built all those facillities, They always packed their stadiums that paid for improvements. You guys need some kind of education. No one throws money in the garbage and hopes the fans will come!!! Face the real world!!!

https://thesportjournal.org/article/a-m ... ic-events/

An interesting outcome of this study is the relatively low importance
of win/loss records in explaining attendance.

Based on this sample, encouraging connections to players (Factor 5: Team
Familiarity) and the college (College Affiliation), in that order, will
have the greatest impact on encouraging heavy use. The results suggest
the following guidelines, roughly in order of importance, for encouraging
heavy users in small college basketball. These suggestions should be viewed
as complementary to the findings of Wells et al. (2000). Although their
study involved small-college football and our study basketball, we suspect
the same would be true for other sports.

Make team members accessible to fellow students and community
members.[/i]
[/i] Do not have special dormitories, etc. which would separate student
athletes from fellow students. Also, encourage other participants in the
sporting event (e.g., cheerleaders, members of the pep band, etc.) to
interact with students and the community.
Encourage identification of the community and students with the
college.

Help potential fans understand basketball better in an attempt
to convert people to true fans.
Sessions with coaches and players in which
past games are analyzed and current strategy is discussed might be helpful.
These sessions would help with the previous two bullets as well.
Ensure awareness of the times and dates of games. Merely printing
a schedule is not enough.
Market segments must be identified in terms
of how best to aggressively inform them of the times and dates.
Schedule college events to avoid conflicts with the sports schedule.
Use promotions and other activities to improve the excitement
and entertainment value of the sporting event, taking care to make sure
that these activities are complementary to the event and do not detract
from it.
gbgreenie...I have a sneaking suspicion that you have a connection to Tulane...not just a "fan" connection. If you want to accomplish this it CAN be done. The key word is WANT AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM. Short-Sightedness has brought us to this point and it continues to be our problem. The university just doesn't get it. ACADEMICS WILL BE HELPED with a large P5 check, That is a FACT. Tulane continues to take the position that it is above athletics and the precious Tulane diploma is somehow TARNISHED because of athletics. What a POMPOUS, UPTOWN, BLUEBLOOD, SEERSUCKER, WHITE BUCK SHOE ,asinine position to take. We have old, stuffed shirts that have NO idea what is transpiring in the modern world today!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

damn...I am 73, never owned white buck shoes, never lived uptown, never had one seersucker anything, never owned a shirt large enuff to be stuffed with anything.. I view Athletics as the "advertising arm" of Tulane....the more ya win, the more advertising ya get...but then again, I am old
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Houston, Memphis, SMU invested heavily in facilities when they had questionable fan support and/or average to below average results on the field/court. Now they are light years ahead of TU.

For P5’s and G5’s you see a direct correlation to results and fan growth with investments in facilities.

It the chicken or the egg syndrome. You are not going to win and grow fans in todays information age with the required assets in place. Look at UCF, they were the first school in florida to build an IPF, tou think that may have just made an impact in their ability to recruit and win?
gbgreenie
Surge

Football Attendance by Conference
AAC
41. South Florida (1) - 46,704
48. Central Florida (1) - 44,073
55. Memphis (2) - 39,297
58. Cincinnati (1) - 38,032
64. East Carolina (1) - 34,118
74. Houston (1) - 29,360
76. Navy (1) - 28,531
81. Temple (1) - 26,378
90. SMU (1) - 22,766
95. Connecticut (2) - 21,378
110. Tulane (1) - 16,361

CUSA
56. UAB (1) - 39,165
63. UTEP (1) - 34,646
71. Southern Miss (1) - 31,076
72. Florida Atlantic (1) - 30,811
80. UTSA (1) - 26,787
85. Marshall (1) - 23,875
87. Louisiana Tech (1) - 23,174
89. North Texas (1) - 23,057
93. Old Dominion (1) - 21,944
96. Middle Tennessee (1) - 20,912
106. Rice (1) - 17,567
108. Western Kentucky (1) - 17,120
111. Charlotte (1) - 16,119
118. Florida International (1) - 13,311

SUN BELT
77. Louisiana-Monroe (1) - 28,327
79. Appalachian State (2) - 27,165
88. Troy (1) - 23,172
92. Arkansas State (1) - 22,076
97. Georgia State (1) - 20,351
99. Texas State (1) - 20,003
100. Louisiana-Lafayette (2) - 19,336
107. Georgia Southern (1) - 17,202
115. South Alabama (1) - 14,511
116. Coastal Carolina (1) - 14,237

AVERAGE
73,179 - SEC
66,384 - Big Ten
57,782 - Big 12
48,891 - ACC
44,865 - Pac 12
31,545 - AAC
25,196 - MWC
24,255 - CUSA
20,638 - Sun Belt
15,829 - MAC

BIG 12
6. Texas (1) - 93,418
9. Oklahoma (1) - 84,534
14. West Virginia (1) - 61,891
16. Iowa State (1) - 61,500
22. Texas Tech (1) - 54,183
23. Kansas State (1) - 51,189
32. Baylor (1) - 43,013
34. TCU (1) - 40,422
44. Kansas (1) - 32,611
waveclem
Surge

All this time I thought this guy gbgreenie was a troll and now I realize he is the same guy from the Tulane football alliance Facebook page. Going around calling the few fans that are still left the problem. He is pretty much the poster child of the culture we need to root out to ever become successful. People like him are against any facility upgrades and blame fans for all our woes. He is definitely connected to this administration the way he defends them vehemently.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

waveclem wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:16 pm All this time I thought this guy gbgreenie was a troll and now I realize he is the same guy from the Tulane football alliance Facebook page. Going around calling the few fans that are still left the problem. He is pretty much the poster child of the culture we need to root out to ever become successful. People like him are against any facility upgrades and blame fans for all our woes. He is definitely connected to this administration the way he defends them vehemently.
+ 1,000,000,000,000
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

waveclem wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:16 pm All this time I thought this guy gbgreenie was a troll and now I realize he is the same guy from the Tulane football alliance Facebook page. Going around calling the few fans that are still left the problem. He is pretty much the poster child of the culture we need to root out to ever become successful. People like him are against any facility upgrades and blame fans for all our woes. He is definitely connected to this administration the way he defends them vehemently.
Thanks for the information. Makes sense.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
posse
High Tide

gbgreenie...I have a sneaking suspicion that you have a connection to Tulane...not just a "fan" connection. If you want to accomplish this it CAN be done. The key word is WANT AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM. Short-Sightedness has brought us to this point and it continues to be our problem. The university just doesn't get it. ACADEMICS WILL BE HELPED with a large P5 check, That is a FACT. Tulane continues to take the position that it is above athletics and the precious Tulane diploma is somehow TARNISHED because of athletics. What a POMPOUS, UPTOWN, BLUEBLOOD, SEERSUCKER, WHITE BUCK SHOE ,asinine position to take. We have old, stuffed shirts that have NO idea what is transpiring in the modern world today!!

TURVS71...............1,000,000 % RIGHT. YOU'VE SAID EVERYTHING I'VE BEEN WANTING TO SAY FOR 61 YEARS AND ABOUT AS ELEGANT AS I WANTED TO SAY IT. I THINK WE OLDER, LONG TIME FANS,
HAS HIT THE TIPPING POINT, OF FINALLY REALIZING TULANE WILL NEVER DO WHAT THEY NEED TO DO TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN ATHLETICS. AS POPEYE WOULD SAY "THAT'S ALL WE CAN STANDS, AND WE CAN'T STANDS NO MORE"

I LOVE YOU MAN, AND YES YOU CAN HAVE MY 'BUD LIGHT' ANYTIME.

TULANE FAN EMERITUS