Just fire Fritz

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wave97
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:31 am I think Willie realizes right about now that the caliber of player Tulane has allowed him to recruit leads to 6-6 season ceilings. Great kids however who represent the school well.
You know what, with the changes that are going on in college football and the greed shown by all concerned, I think I’m ok with good kids.
Sooner or later, someone is going to shine a light on what has happened to the supply of high school talent. The talent pool is shrinking every year. Sufficient talent no longer exists to support 85 schollies at FBS programs.
It is all over my friends. Having " good" kids doesn't warrant a multi million dollar black hole.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

There's a great supply of HS kids. We don't get them because they look at our facilities and see the lack of commitment.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

You couldn't be more wrong.
Good luck with that.......
Pepper
Swell

Next year's schedule is way easier. They are not firing anybody and the people who would do the firing do not know we have a football program.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pepper wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:19 am Next year's schedule is way easier. They are not firing anybody and the people who would do the firing do not know we have a football program.
2022 non conference games...better be at least 3-1, or sum body needs to be fired
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2022/team/tulane
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:04 am You couldn't be more wrong.
Actually I'm spot on. I know it's your mantra to keep crying it's all over for football but it's not. Our problems have nothing to do with a lack of available players and everything to do with our lack of facilities.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:26 am
Actually I'm spot on. I know it's your mantra to keep crying it's all over for football but it's not. Our problems have nothing to do with a lack of available players and everything to do with our lack of facilities.
"If you build it, they will come"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

If "build" means maintaining a group of competent & stable coaches administrators & executives who understand how to hire & fire, I would agree 100%.
But Really? Aren't we just the Tulaniest?
It's time to stop pissing in a fan. I truly thought this staff would have some answers, I was wrong.
Perhaps we should focus on having a bunch of "good" kids playing in a D3 palace called Yulman Stadium..
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:43 am
Pepper wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:19 am Next year's schedule is way easier. They are not firing anybody and the people who would do the firing do not know we have a football program.
2022 non conference games...better be at least 3-1, or sum body needs to be fired
Next years schedule is weak and in year 7 we'd have to win 10 or more regular season games for it to be any kind of breakthrough. That would require playing 60 minutes of football every week. willie boy hasn't shown he's up to it. It's a great schedule for a new coach to come in against.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:01 am
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:43 am
Next years schedule is weak and in year 7 we'd have to win 10 or more regular season games for it to be any kind of breakthrough. That would require playing 60 minutes of football every week. willie boy hasn't shown he's up to it. It's a great schedule for a new coach to come in against.
Playing for 60 minutes...ole Willie can't coach for 60 minutes
Wave755
Tsunami

Or, hire a competent defensive coordinator and have Chip Long run a more balanced offensive attack between pass & run and we might be instead 3-2 right now?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

OL coach is nothing more than a glorified grad assistant.......Willie hired a good OL coach, but he was on campus just a short time and I think left for IOWA...the DC hire was a complete joke and failure.....a DB coach, who was not that good when he was at Tulane, was brought back from Duke to be DC all because he had thrown his Tulane shirts away ...
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:43 am 2022 non conference games...better be at least 3-1, or sum body needs to be fired
🤮🤮🤮
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 am
Or, hire a competent defensive coordinator and have Chip Long run a more balanced offensive attack between pass & run and we might be instead 3-2 right now?
No doubt the DC was a terrible hire. As to the O. our line is so bad backs are being met in the backfield by defenders. Plus when you are down big early you have to try and throw the ball. But then the pass blocking is non existent too so we get killed.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:41 am
Wave755 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 am

No doubt the DC was a terrible hire. As to the O. our line is so bad backs are being met in the backfield by defenders. Plus when you are down big early you have to try and throw the ball. But then the pass blocking is non existent too so we get killed.
The OL "coach" has been very successful in teaching the "OLE' technique"
gbgreenie
Surge

Get over it people Willie is a nationally recognized coach and will be here til he retires.
Willie will make sure he will get the right coaching staff, many assistants around the country would love to work for him.
Tulane will not waste money expanding facilities that this fanbase can afford and will fill. No business spends money that it is not sure to recoup.
If the fanbase does not grow investments will not happen, Fan bases fuel facility growth and expenditures. Schools like Colorado State are not winners but they have a solid 30,000 fans that pack the new stadium for games. Part of fanbase growth will come as the University expands enrollment and recruits local students. The rest must come from its large employment base. LSU and Saint fanbases are maxed out. Tiger Stadium and the Dome are maxed. These football fans will pay if Willie can consistantly bring a winner. With the schedule and IDA this is just an abnormally, the ship will be righted. Stay put get rid of your hissy fits, you got to be right know it alls, just relax better days are coming.

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/ ... ecruiting/

While a large number of athletic programs have been building or completing facilities projects, our study found little to no impact from new athletic facilities on the recruitment of potential football or men’s basketball recruits. The direct impact football projects represented the largest amount of facility projects during the time period of the study, yet their returns in recruiting were mostly non-significant. There were no recruiting improvements for direct football projects during the year before facility completion, nor the first and second year after the facility was completed. Only in the year right before a project was completed was there a marginally significant effect which showed that team recruiting rankings slightly improved before a facility project was completed.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They have and we haven't:

Another explanation is that new football and basketball facilities could have little to no effect on recruiting rankings because a large number of schools have made upgrades in the past 10-15 years. Prospective student-athletes would have many upgraded or new facilities to select from, meaning these new facilities would no longer stand out. This situation personifies the saying, “the rising tide lifts all boats,” as many universities are upgrading their facilities and negating the comparative benefit. With so many schools building football facilities, the only way to garner increased recruiting success may be to pursue uncommon facility upgrades. For example, a university may want to pursue creating projects not being pursued by rivals or utilizing unique architectural designs that have a chance to be more memorable for incoming recruits.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Every time I see a report or article about conference realignment, and specifically about criteria for inviting schools, facilities is always mentioned. Yes fan base is also important—but there will be no fan base without winning—and there will be no winning without good recruits (including OLs)—and there won’t be good recruits without facilities.

Tulane is living proof of why facilities have to come first—we’ve shown where inferior facilities takes you. Either Tulane bellies up and makes the investment first, or we will never get off this failed treadmill. Fans will not first show up and watch a losing program—that will not happen.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

All I want for Christmas 🎄 is a competent defensive coordinator. And true, it is on WF since he picked Chris Hampton.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:22 pm All I want for Christmas 🎄 is a competent defensive coordinator. And true, it is on WF since he picked Chris Hampton.
I would prefer this as a Halloween treat.
wave97
Swell

We need Lionel as our DC & we need him badly. Somebody put Coach Fritz & Lionel in a room together and give Lionel Carte Blanche on hiring his staff. I guarantee our local recruiting will improve.
Get rid of coach hyphenated. Get rid of WR coach & ask coach Kennedy if he wants to be run game OC.
Wave755
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:14 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:22 pm All I want for Christmas 🎄 is a competent defensive coordinator. And true, it is on WF since he picked Chris Hampton.
I would prefer this as a Halloween treat.
We are stuck with Hampton for another 6 games, but Christmas is coming, and can’t get here to soon!.🎁
HoustonWave
Tsunami

When it comes to finding assistant coaches, preferably competent assistant coaches, I’m not sure how well connected Willie is throughout the coaching community—a surprising concern considering his longevity and generally successful career. I give him credit for finding Hall, but Long fell into his lap, and Hampton has been a complete failure. Hanging onto Ruse and Curtis as long as he did, and now having the cast we are stuck with, just makes me wonder how well connected he is. Is he very active within the coaching community? Given he’s in the Top 10 active coaches in career wins, you would think he would be somewhat of a celebrity among the coaching world, and would be able to attract up and coming assistants.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
gbgreenie
Surge

wave97 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:23 pm We need Lionel as our DC & we need him badly. Somebody put Coach Fritz & Lionel in a room together and give Lionel Carte Blanche on hiring his staff. I guarantee our local recruiting will improve.
Get rid of coach hyphenated. Get rid of WR coach & ask coach Kennedy if he wants to be run game OC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:03 am When it comes to finding assistant coaches, preferably competent assistant coaches, I’m not sure how well connected Willie is throughout the coaching community—a surprising concern considering his longevity and generally successful career. I give him credit for finding Hall, but Long fell into his lap, and Hampton has been a complete failure. Hanging onto Ruse and Curtis as long as he did, and now having the cast we are stuck with, just makes me wonder how well connected he is. Is he very active within the coaching community? Given he’s in the Top 10 active coaches in career wins, you would think he would be somewhat of a celebrity among the coaching world, and would be able to attract up and coming assistants.
Most of that was at the very bottom levels of football. So I'm not surprised that he doesn't have the connections.