Db and offensive line

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
glennc
Low Tide

Our defensive backs could not guard 80 year old's and our offensive line is eventually going to get Pratt hurt. Are they that bad or is it coaching. Number 79 is suppose to be really good. From what I see he is really bad

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pratt is already hurt as is his back up Ibieta.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

glennc wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:05 pm Our defensive backs could not guard 80 year old's and our offensive line is eventually going to get Pratt hurt. Are they that bad or is it coaching. Number 79 is suppose to be really good. From what I see he is really bad
Claybrook #79 has been a disaster this year. Notice on most plays how he and our other OLs are always still
standing around as our skill players and the opponent’s players are getting up off the ground. Lack of effort.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

We ought to do what Cincy did a few years ago. Being surrounded by P5 schools, Cincy was having trouble getting good linemen. So rather than just keep taking the “leftovers”, they started recruiting big and athletic rugby players, Australian-rules football players and wrestlers—and then taught and coached them to play OL and DL. Look at where they are today— if you watch them, they have big, fast and athletic linemen. You can’t coach and teach size and athleticism, but you can teach and coach an athlete how to play a position. I guess doing something like that is too “out of the box” for Tulane’s culture. Takes too much effort.
Jaxwave
Swell

Larry Smith back in the day would recruit tall lean guys and basketball players for the DL that could run then put weight on them to play. We cannot keep recruiting 4th tier fat slow 300 pounders on both lines with bad feet just because they are big. That is lazy.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:34 pm Larry Smith back in the day would recruit tall lean guys and basketball players for the DL that could run then put weight on them to play. We cannot keep recruiting 4th tier fat slow 300 pounders on both lines with bad feet just because they are big. That is lazy.
In the early thru mid-60’s, OU’s football program was struggling, after dominating much of the 50’s. They hired Jim McKenzie for the 1966 season. Like Larry Smith, McKenzie wanted tall and slender linemen—telling his asst coaches, as to recruiting, “I wann’em long and lean.” He turned OU around in one year, and those long and lean linemen were the foundation of the Chuck Fairbanks and Barry Switzer teams that dominated the late 60’s and 70’s. Tulane needs to try something radical and new when it comes to linemen. But of course that would require effort and work. It’s much easier to just let the linemen that are leftover fall into your lap.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

"Long and Lean"...and my favorite from Bear Bryant.. "Agile, Mobile, Hostile'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am "Long and Lean"...and my favorite from Bear Bryant.. "Agile, Mobile, Hostile'
A classic quote, for sure.
Not exactly a description of Fritz’s teams.
Lutzow46
Ripple

glennc wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:05 pm Our defensive backs could not guard 80 year old's and our offensive line is eventually going to get Pratt hurt. Are they that bad or is it coaching. Number 79 is suppose to be really good. From what I see he is really bad
I have watched No. 79 for two years. Even before him, that was a weak spot in the OL.
glennc
Low Tide

That position gets a lot of blame because it is the QB blind side, however that doesn't erase the fact that number 79 is terrible.
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am "Long and Lean"...and my favorite from Bear Bryant.. "Agile, Mobile, Hostile'
A classic quote, for sure, but it was Jake Gaither of Florida A&M that spoke it.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:23 am
A classic quote, for sure, but it was Jake Gaither of Florida A&M that spoke it.
U are correct sir...a little info on Coach Gaither
https://jmagonline.com/articles/agile-m ... er-debuts/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !