Just fire Fritz

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I would never have imagined this sort of collapse happening under Willie Fritz. I thought his biggest downside would be having us mired in mediocrity as a 5-7, 6-6 team. We'll need to play a lot better to avoid a winless season.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Does anyone think the hurricane might have had an affect on this team?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:59 pm Does anyone think the hurricane might have had an affect on this team?
I’m sure it did, however, the effect shouldn’t be this pronounced. I’m not confident that Tulane -will- beat any randomly selected opponent remaining on its schedule, and, in year 6, that’s an issue.
msdos
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:59 pm Does anyone think the hurricane might have had an affect on this team?
Coaches having unfettered access to the team and having our team focus on football 24/7 while everyone else was staring school resulted in us almost beating a ranked P5 team.
Any benefits from such an arrangement are now lost
msdos
Swell

While willie isn’t the worst coach we’ve ever had, this is certainly the most Tulane has paid a coach to lose in such a embarrassing manor
nawlinspete
Riptide

What steps are being taken to get rid of our Recruiting Director , our O Coordinator and our D Coordinator ?

Bring back our reliance on a running game .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wave Fan
Low Tide

We have no defense right now. Even in our darkest days the Posse kept us in most games.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:40 pm What steps are being taken to get rid of our Recruiting Director , our O Coordinator and our D Coordinator ?

Bring back our reliance on a running game .
the recruiting guy is goin' nowhere, it is Fritz's son Wesley..as far as a DC, we have one in name only
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The money to fire Fritz will come from the $$$, UH, Cincy and UCF pay to leave the AAC, which should have gone to any physical improvements
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

The only thing this year says about Willie Fritz is that he has not been good in recruiting WRs and Linemen. Because that's why they are losing. I was very disappointed that he didn't take Pratt out shortly after the half against Ole Miss, but I'm not sure we win any of the last three games with a health Pratt because of the above failures in recruiting.
Seriously what does firing Willie Fritz accomplish. Who in their right mind would take this job?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:30 am The only thing this year says about Willie Fritz is that he has not been good in recruiting WRs and Linemen. Because that's why they are losing. I was very disappointed that he didn't take Pratt out shortly after the half against Ole Miss, but I'm not sure we win any of the last three games with a health Pratt because of the above failures in recruiting.
Seriously what does firing Willie Fritz accomplish. Who in their right mind would take this job?
Let's look at a few out of their mind coaches, who may take the gig..."Coach Prime'..."RichRod'...Kevin Sumlin....Tom Herman...
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:38 am
Jaxwave wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:30 am Seriously what does firing Willie Fritz accomplish. Who in their right mind would take this job?
Let's look at a few out of their mind coaches, who may take the gig..."Coach Prime'..."RichRod'...Kevin Sumlin....Tom Herman...
"Coach Prime" would not be offered and even if he were he wouldn't accept: his future is brighter elsewhere. Tom Herman would laugh at us. Kevin Sumlin would accept but would we want him? He finished off the demolition of the Arizona football program started by...RichRod, whose trajectory has risen and fallen like a toy rocket and may finally be willing to take the job he was snubbed for 23 years ago. I wonder if he still has that green sport coat?
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:10 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:38 am
Jaxwave wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:30 am Seriously what does firing Willie Fritz accomplish. Who in their right mind would take this job?
"Coach Prime" would not be offered and even if he were he wouldn't accept: his future is brighter elsewhere. Tom Herman would laugh at us. Kevin Sumlin would accept but would we want him? He finished off the demolition of the Arizona football program started by...RichRod, whose trajectory has risen and fallen like a toy rocket and may finally be willing to take the job he was snubbed for 23 years ago. I wonder if he still has that green sport coat?
the original question was "who in their right mind"......I named a few, who THINK, they are in their right mind..... Skip Holt may be a player, there have been several openings at PEE's... he never seems to get an interview
TURVS71
Swell

You can put the best driver in a race car. If that car isn’t working on all cylinders, he will lose the race.

Tulane refuses to tune up our “race car” but expects to win !

Ain’t gonna happen!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Bigschtick
Riptide

Fitz is not going to be fired. Who would fire him? Fitts, the milk toast? Dannen, the missing in action Athletic Director? The Board of Trustees that does not have the jurisdiction? Fuhgedaboutit. We are screwed. We could not find ourselves in a worse position .
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
TURVS71
Swell

If Doug Hertz and the Glazers and the Yulmans are not upset with the current situation, then it’s a hopeless situation. They all have to admit that the effort to make the athletic dept the best is non-existent. I am certain that Hertz does not run his business ventures in this manner nor does Glazer run his pro teams in this manner nor do the Yulmans Are you people listening??? It’s YOUR money !!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:09 am The money to fire Fritz will come from the $$$, UH, Cincy and UCF pay to leave the AAC, which should have gone to any physical improvements
Yep. Thanks to Troy—who throws Tulane’s money around like a politician
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

Best option would be to hire a hot up and coming P5 coordinator
ajcalhoun
Swell

If we fire Fritz after three straight bowl games (the first time in the school's history) we will have a tough time replacing him. Who would want the job? We have a history of being awful, have little administrative help, a miniscule fan base, and the conference we're in just got a lot less prestigious. And now you want to add a lack of patience and an itchy trigger-finger. Is there a worse job in FBS?
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Six years in is not a lack of patience nor an itchy trigger finger.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:44 pm If we fire Fritz after three straight bowl games (the first time in the school's history) we will have a tough time replacing him. Who would want the job? We have a history of being awful, have little administrative help, a miniscule fan base, and the conference we're in just got a lot less prestigious. And now you want to add a lack of patience and an itchy trigger-finger. Is there a worse job in FBS?
Maybe Rice, Umass, Uconn, that’s about it.

There is a 0% chance that TD fires Fritz this year. Even if there is no bowl next year it is doubtful. You think TU is eating that buyout especially with three straight bowl games on his resume? Now if TD is fired there is a slight chance of a new coach this year and a pretty high chance he is fired next year if he goes below .500.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:55 pm Six years in is not a lack of patience nor an itchy trigger finger.
At a program historically bad as Tulane it is. Fritz is the best coach we've had in over twenty years and in the top five of the last seventy-five years, He took over a program left in complete shambles by CJ and brought us to three straight bowl games. While we haven't been great up to this year we have at least been respectable. This year is his first real hiccup. We haven't been a stepping-stone job since Terry Bowden. We are a coaching graveyard. Fire Fritz and watch the rest the country shake their heads.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:50 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:55 pm Six years in is not a lack of patience nor an itchy trigger finger.
At a program historically bad as Tulane it is. Fritz is the best coach we've had in over twenty years and in the top five of the last seventy-five years, He took over a program left in complete shambles by CJ and brought us to three straight bowl games. While we haven't been great up to this year we have at least been respectable. This year is his first real hiccup. We haven't been a stepping-stone job since Terry Bowden. We are a coaching graveyard. Fire Fritz and watch the rest the country shake their heads.
That three Bowl game thing is BS. 78 teams make Bowls. They were all bottom of the barrel Bowls. Fritz added some structure but all we do is search for 6 weak ass teams we can beat to get to some crap Bowls. Then this year is an experienced team with depth and the team has fallen apart no different than a CJ team. The thread isn't a will they fire him thread it's about they should. Settling for his meager returns is low bar syndrome at its worst. Terry Bowden never coached here.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:50 pm
Some of that may be valid but what is the solution? We just have to accept that 7-6 is the best we can do and be happy with it?
ajcalhoun
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:08 pm
ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:44 pm Is there a worse job in FBS?
Maybe Rice, Umass, Uconn, that’s about it.
I stand corrected. UMass and UConn are worse jobs. :cheers:
God Bless Everyone!