AAU and NIL

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Honest question here. I often see the AAU designation thrown around often, especially in the conference shuffle/realignment threads. Why do we try to hang our hats on that designation? Do the other conferences really care? Is it a requirement? And then with NIL, I honestly don't see why any conference would give two shits about any AAU schools, since they typically don't have the caliber of players who could make any significant profit or generate exposure for the school.

Again, I don't really mean to mingle the two (AAU and NIL). But I'm just wondering if all this AAU talk is just our way of trying to feel/think we are relevant.

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I couldn't agree more. The bottom line is the bottom line, and if you take more than you contribute, you're not getting in. AAU status be damned.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

It matters to some conferences a great deal (B1G), and to some a good amount (Pac 12 and ACC), everyone else could care less.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It matters to them only if the school has a damn good football team
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

Apparently several university presidents care about only adding other universities that have earned AAU academic credentials. We see those conference commercials all the time during games promoting the greatness of their members. Some presidents obviously want to be able to make it about academics and research. Good for them and I would rather have the credentials than not.
wave97
Swell

Crossing the threshold of credibility only happens when you play good high profile programs and beat them. XyZ & PDQ mean nothing. Never have & never will.
The recruiting of Mississippi, Louisiana & East Texas could help for some outcast conference invite if we combine high profile upsets going forward.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Like many things, it may mean more to those that don’t have it, than it may to those that do have the AAU stamp. Certainly the TT president was bemoaning the lack of it—though maybe he was just trying to lobby his state legislators for more money. It’s like the P5 in the Academic world—and AAU schools get the vast majority of research funding from both the government and private foundations. . Athletically, I can’t see how it can replace a strong performing athletic dept. with broad fan support. But it does carry some weight, and with only three AAU schools not in a P5 conference, Tulane has managed to take an advantage and squander it.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The use of the word “student athlete” is now politically incorrect and may actually be used against a school.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/e ... 0538167783
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:39 am The use of the word “student athlete” is now politically incorrect and may actually be used against a school.
I guess Abruzzo is suggesting that they aren't students. They are clearly athletes. So are they employee-athletes now? Just put them on the payroll, and don't worry about whether they ever go to class--that would sure throw Tulane for a loop.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:53 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:39 am The use of the word “student athlete” is now politically incorrect and may actually be used against a school.
I guess Abruzzo is suggesting that they aren't students. They are clearly athletes. So are they employee-athletes now? Just put them on the payroll, and don't worry about whether they ever go to class--that would sure throw Tulane for a loop.
Yes. I was thinking the same thing. The one thing Tulane has hung on for years was “student” athlete. Now that goes away with the new opportunities.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:05 pm
Yes. I was thinking the same thing. The one thing Tulane has hung on for years was “student” athlete. Now that goes away with the new opportunities.
As usual, Tulane will be behind the rest of the world on all the current transformations happening in the collegiate world. Failed and out-performed leadership--our mantra.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:15 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:05 pm
As usual, Tulane will be behind the rest of the world on all the current transformations happening in the collegiate world. Failed and out-performed leadership--our mantra.
Tulane has always been reactive (usually years too late) and has never been forward thinking or proactive in at least my lifetime.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

It matters because the school presidents are the one’s who ultimately approve new members and they like to act like academics matter so the AAU status gives you a bit of clout.
AAU is a requirement for the B10. Nebraska lost it cause the medical center in Omaha was moved to Nebraska Omaha instead of Lincoln, but the B10 did not kick them out (though they may be regretting that move).
Aberzombie1892
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:53 pm Honest question here. I often see the AAU designation thrown around often, especially in the conference shuffle/realignment threads. Why do we try to hang our hats on that designation? Do the other conferences really care? Is it a requirement? And then with NIL, I honestly don't see why any conference would give two shits about any AAU schools, since they typically don't have the caliber of players who could make any significant profit or generate exposure for the school.

Again, I don't really mean to mingle the two (AAU and NIL). But I'm just wondering if all this AAU talk is just our way of trying to feel/think we are relevant.
Some thoughts that are best expressed in list form:
1. The Big 12 and SEC are the only power conferences that do not place significance on academic rankings and/or AAU status of their membership. Even though they do not require or emphasize AAC membership, their AAC members include Texas, Texas A&M, Florida, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Iowa State, and Kansas.
2. AAU status is only a requirement for the B1G, however, it is likely that the B1G would waive that requirement for programs like Oklahoma and Notre Dame.
3. The PAC12, B1G, and ACC heavily emphasize academics with AAU members: Stanford, CAL, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Purdue, Indiana, North Carolina, Virginia, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Pitt (27 out of 40 total members between those 3 conferences are AAU members; Nebraska was AAU when it was added to B1G but is no longer AAU - it would be number 28). These numbers do not include other programs with respected academics that are part of those conferences that are not AAU members like Wake Forest, Miami, Boston College, NC State, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame and Syracuse.