Texas and OU to SEC

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

McWave wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:29 am The location of all the remaining schools don’t appear to be in large media market nor where one would purposely visit. I understand that South Bend isn’t either. But ND has a huge national following. I don’t see major national interest and long term dollars for an AAC school to move. But short term money may prevail.
WHAT !! " not wanna visit"...c'mon, Waco has Chip n JoJo and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame..... Ft Worth has the "stockyards entertainment disitrict"...Lubbock, Buddy Holley festival , Lubbock is nice, no humidity, and you are out on the "high plains"..Clint Eastwood would love to drift there.... Kansas has KC and K-State has the l'il Apple both have Dorothy and ToTo....OK State has nice golf courses and T Boones money... Iowa State, has the Field of Dreams..... ND has South Bend which is in the upper 30% percentile of high crime, U can enjoy the police chases for entertainment

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

from K-State
https://themercury.com/k_state_sports/k ... 9333d.html

from KU...look a new airport terminal in KCMO...count us in big10
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... stage_lead
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:29 am I thought I wrote Bendix but spell check changed me. I’m smarter than electronic media. It could be how fake news happens. Anybody have info on dates for opening practice?
Dave practices start this coming Friday, August 6th.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Espn want us to take 3-5 of the big 12 teams. From there they will give us a big bump in payment. This is CONFIRMED, and the Big 12 wrote their crybaby letter (which will have little effect on anything) that outlines this. We have also heard the Pac 12 isn’t interested in any of their schools.

1) The interesting questions are which 3-5 schools do they want us to add?

2) How big of a pay bump will they give everyone ? My guess would be $15-$20m per team. It’s enough for those teams to feel safe that they’re not becoming part of the G5, nor would their payroll suddenly implode but also a very nice savings from the $35m+ -$50m they are paying the big boys.

If you don’t get an invite from the big 10 or the acc, then $15m-$20m and a nice landing spot makes sense.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Confirmed by WHOM ?

SOURCE(s) ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's clearly not confirmed as the letter ESPN wrote back to the Big 12 denies it. It also doesn't negate the leverage those remaining schools have with the money coming their way. Then there is the fact that FOX may decide to fight back and offer more in their TV for the 4 schools to move from the AAC to the Big 12.Going to be an interesting battle. Hopefully we come out on the good side of it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:11 am
Jaxwave wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 am Unfortunately, the only sliver of hope for Tulane going forward is if the AAC can add some of the top teams from the Big 12. If It goes the other way where the Big 12 stays together and takes too teams from the AAC, we are doomed to a Conf USA/Sunbelt existence, a step back that will just about kill Tulane athletics.
I see no advantage to the Big 12 taking all of the AAC schools and if not, we will be left out.
I honestly fear it is more likely than not, that that is what’s going to happen.
from what I have read, at present, the AAC has the long term tie in with espn and fox, the big12 does not have that bargaining chip to play....but contracts end, broken or renegoiated on a daily basis
In addition to having ESPN on its side, the AAC has large urban TV markets vs the Little 8’s considerable smaller TV markets. It’s true the state schools can pull an audience from their states, but look at those states—Kansas, West Virginia, half of Iowa, half of Oklahoma, a minority share of Texas—not very impressive. Any AAC schools that get a Big 12 invite better think it through real hard, and long term. Hopefully Aresco has shored this up.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:38 am I wrote Cowen one time and spell check changed it to blowhard—so maybe it works—sometimes
😂😂 Truly a classic post.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 am from K-State
https://themercury.com/k_state_sports/k ... 9333d.html

from KU...look a new airport terminal in KCMO...count us in big10
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... stage_lead
Both these articles show what little these schools have to offer. They all keep repeating to themselves “stay calm”, but you can feel the desperation in the air. First team to bolt will cave any chance of holding it together.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:09 pm Espn want us to take 3-5 of the big 12 teams. From there they will give us a big bump in payment. This is CONFIRMED, and the Big 12 wrote their crybaby letter (which will have little effect on anything) that outlines this. We have also heard the Pac 12 isn’t interested in any of their schools.

2) How big of a pay bump will they give everyone ? My guess would be $15-$20m per team. It’s enough for those teams to feel safe that they’re not becoming part of the G5, nor would their payroll suddenly implode but also a very nice savings from the $35m+ -$50m they are paying the big boys.

If you don’t get an invite from the big 10 or the acc, then $15m-$20m and a nice landing spot makes sense.
Absent the PAC or Big 10 taking any of the orphans, which isn’t looking too likely, I would have to think the these five in order of preference—(1)OKie St; (2) Kansas; (3) West Va; (4) TCU; and (5) Texas Tech.
GreenLantern
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:40 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:09 pm Espn want us to take 3-5 of the big 12 teams. From there they will give us a big bump in payment. This is CONFIRMED, and the Big 12 wrote their crybaby letter (which will have little effect on anything) that outlines this. We have also heard the Pac 12 isn’t interested in any of their schools.

Absent the PAC or Big 10 taking any of the orphans, which isn’t looking too likely, I would have to think the these five in order of preference—(1)OKie St; (2) Kansas; (3) West Va; (4) TCU; and (5) Texas Tech.
Why not Baylor?
RobertM320
Green Wave

McWave wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:59 pm So the SEC becomes in 2025 some kind of football 16 team super conference with these additions. What happens to the national interest in college football games / playoff? ESPN is trying to sell ads to viewers to payoff the payments to the conferences. Given the NFLs desire for equality among teams to maximize interest, I don’t see how this will maximize interest in the college setting. Maybe the NFL has it wrong. Each of these teams were big fish in their ponds. With lots of wins (except Texas) and happy fans. Not sure how coming in average in the super conference plays out. Will be interesting to watch.
I've been saying this for years. But obviously the money has been more valued than the wins, at least so far. You can't have OU, TX, LSU, AL, AUB, FL, GA, TAMU all in the same conference, playing 9 conference games, and have them all win 9+ games. Not mathematically possible. Can't see any of these teams' fans being happy if they starting putting together 3 or 4 consecutive 6-6, or 7-5 seasons.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:50 pm
McWave wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:59 pm So the SEC becomes in 2025 some kind of football 16 team super conference with these additions. What happens to the national interest in college football games / playoff? ESPN is trying to sell ads to viewers to payoff the payments to the conferences. Given the NFLs desire for equality among teams to maximize interest, I don’t see how this will maximize interest in the college setting. Maybe the NFL has it wrong. Each of these teams were big fish in their ponds. With lots of wins (except Texas) and happy fans. Not sure how coming in average in the super conference plays out. Will be interesting to watch.
I've been saying this for years. But obviously the money has been more valued than the wins, at least so far. You can't have OU, TX, LSU, AL, AUB, FL, GA, TAMU all in the same conference, playing 9 conference games, and have them all win 9+ games. Not mathematically possible. Can't see any of these teams' fans being happy if they starting putting together 3 or 4 consecutive 6-6, or 7-5 seasons.
I absolutely agree. It has to be money prevails over wins. I always thought that OU and UT had a bird’s nest on the ground in the Big 12. OU might stay in the SEC’s upper three or four, but UT will really struggle.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:44 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Why not Baylor?
Small TV market, a checkered ethical reputation, and a private school. The only reason I put TCU in the five is that they are in Ft. Worth, and with SMU could put at least a dent in the huge DFW TV market. Also Baylor only got into the Big 12 because of politics—which as I’ve said before, many in Texas don’t feel they are deserving. The same could be said of TT, but they are a large state school. If I was Aresco, I’d extend an invitation to the first three, and put a clock on it. If no response, I’d move on to the next two or three. I would also put BYU, Boise St., CSU and SDSU in the mix, and let the Little 8 know that the first five schools that accept are in the AAC, with the ESPN arrangement.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755
Tsunami

The Big 12 Will Lose 50% Of The Conference’s TV Revenue Once Oklahoma And Texas Leave
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -leave-sec
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

a little history lesson for those who never had a Flip Fone...
https://www.chron.com/opinion/article/n ... 357257.php
HoustonWave
Tsunami

There is a really interesting article in The Athletic today about the UT prez, TT prez , Baylor prez, TCU prez and Bowlsby all testifying to a committee of the Texas Legislature. The key points I found interesting were: (1) Shortly after the story broke, OU and UT prezs had a Zoom meeting with the Big 12 Exec Committee--the UT prez said that the committee had nothing to offer, and instead expected OU and UT to provide a list of demands--neither happened (hence a largely worthless meeting); (2) Bowlsby acknowledged that OU and UT make up at least half the value of the Big 12 TV rights; (3) the TCU, TT and Baylor prezs effectively admitted they have just ridden the coattails of OU and UT--and apparently feel they have a right to continue to ride somebodies coattails; (4) the UT prez commented that he spends much of his time trying to forecast the future of college athletics, and where he needs to position UT for that future; and (5) the TT prez highlighted that Texas only had three AAU schools (UT, aTm and Rice), and that AAU designation would be very important, if not necessary, to be considered by many of the remaining P5 conferences, and that TT had little chance of being admitted into the AAU in the future, and that when P5 prezs discuss new members, AAU status is often at the forefront of those discussions. It was a fascinating article. It also highlighted how all these prezs are very focused on and engaged in discussions with there counterparts at P5 schools. Any chance that Fitts has those kind of discussions? Lastly, the TCU prez highlighted the huge academic (applications tripled) and financial benefits that stemmed from their 2011(?) Rose Bowl win.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Paragraphs , my man .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

Our four year audition is probably now a 12 game audition !?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

CBS Sports reporting that Bowlsby is prostrating himself in an effort to arrange a merger or alliance with the PAC 12. Why would the PAC 12 want to add eight schools ( only two AAU) located in backwater locations? More likely, Bowlsby may be inadvertently paving the way for two or three orphans getting a PAC 12 invite. I guess Bowlsby hopes is that if he can get some kind of alliance, it may add enough TV value that he can entice two to four AAC schools to jump ship to the Little 10 or 12.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

ESPN reporting that Clemson and Florida St. have reached out to the SEC, and have requested meetings. But get this, the SEC isn't sure those two wouldn't be dilutive--talk about a high cover charge.

Makes one wonder if the SEC isn't trying to set itself up as the new NCAA. Eventually dividing its super conference into two or more separate conferences--all answering to the SEC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:17 pm ESPN reporting that Clemson and Florida St. have reached out to the SEC, and have requested meetings. But get this, the SEC isn't sure those two wouldn't be dilutive--talk about a high cover charge.

Makes one wonder if the SEC isn't trying to set itself up as the new NCAA. Eventually dividing its super conference into two or more separate conferences--all answering to the SEC.
They should also reach out to the Big 10 if the SEC playing dirty.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

I still think this thing is eventually headed to one super-conference with 20-25 teams, and everyone else is playing regular college football. If the SEC ends up being the starting point, so be it; but certain current SEC teams are not going to be part of it. Vandy, S. Carolina, Mizzou, maybe the Mississippi schools, Arkansas and Kentucky won't be included.
Wave755
Tsunami

Ya' know, under Sagarin's rating system if tomorrow 'Bama & Texas played on a neutral field 'Bama would be a 20.61 pt. favorite!

🥳