Arnie Fielkow's blueprint for success for Tulane Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
BC Wave
Swell

DrBox wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Asher is a media person that calls it as he see's it. He's not controlled by anyone. .
That's a little naive.
While he's not controlled by anyone, he has been tight with Fielkow for a long time. Fielkow was great on the city council and he would consistently leak info to Asher with a purpose. It was win-win. Fielkow got what he needed, and Asher got an excellent reputation as being an advocate for good government.
Yes, Benson vetoing him stinks. But donors do that sort of thing everywhere. The difference is that there is little evidence that Benson (and the rest) really care about Tulane winning and becoming P5.
Right! Tulane is Benson's cheap whore. What he has given is a relative pittance of his ability, but it's enough to garner his name to the football field, BOA membership and veto power over (probably) the most qualified candidate.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:The Advocate runs with the story!
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... ed-over-in
Walk into an abandon building, turn on a flashlight, and watch the roaches scurry. The Tulane roaches are mad and they are scurrying--they prefer to operate in the dark.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Just found out that was a draft that Arnie sent to Eric to review. EA decided to post that version. The spelling was corrected before being submitted to Hertz. People that believe that was the final version are mistaken. Now go find something else to bitch about enablers.
+1. Who gives a rats ass anyway if there was a misspelling of a name. We're not looking for the next Spelling Bee Champ. Jeez.
You've got to laugh, classic Tulane--image over substance. Reminds me of when I was a freshman living in Sharp. We had so many bugs in the room that they would crawl all over us at night. I sent a letter to the Housing Dept. requesting some help with the bugs--my letter was returned with two grammatical errors circled in red, and a red B- on the top of the letter. They never did anything about the bugs. I guess I should have realized that this was just a glimpse into future of what Tulane is all about--image over substance.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

Dont forget to post comments. Let people know we care.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Here is the podcast of the show. I recommend everyone listen. It starts at the 7 minute mark.
http://wgso.com/podcast/insideneworleans/ino111915.mp3
Wow. Asher ripped Tulane new a$$hole just by stating facts. Thanks for posting that!
wave97
Swell

Alanis Morissette, this is the definition of irony.

Arnie Fielkow exposes a plan to move the Saints to San Antonio. This move by the Saints would have opened many opportunities for Tulane to reclaim fans from the local population. Do you think we'd have an IPF & a competent staff after ten years of being the sole option for local football?
Arnie is ultimately foisted in his bid for Tulane AD by the very people he help prevent from leaving; Tom, Gayle, Mickey, Sean & Greg.
In the end Tulane loses twice.
dpm wave
Swell

If I remember correctly, during the Katrina event it was made known that the facilities on Airline were built by the state and leased to Benson for $1 a year. And the facilities can be used as leverage against Tulane (or any similar institution)?
ajcalhoun
Swell

dpm wave wrote:If I remember correctly, during the Katrina event it was made known that the facilities on Airline were built by the state and leased to Benson for $1 a year. And the facilities can be used as leverage against Tulane (or any similar institution)?
Yep.
God Bless Everyone!
LSU-MD
Low Tide

If I remember correctly, during the Katrina event it was made known that the facilities on Airline were built by the state and leased to Benson for $1 a year. And the facilities can be used as leverage against Tulane (or any similar institution)?
Your point?

Tulane is a private university. So why should it get special treatment. Tulane gave up special treatment when it went private in the 19th century.
JTLiuzza
Swell

LSU-MD wrote:
Your point?

Tulane is a private university. So why should it get special treatment. Tulane gave up special treatment when it went private in the 19th century.
???

Apparently the privately owned Saints are getting "special treatment" at a $1/yr lease for a publicly built facility. What is your point?
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

LSU-MD wrote:
Your point?

Perhaps being the largest private employer in the States largest city might have something to do with it. Tulane went private when Paul Tulane bailed out the University of Louisiana which may not have survived had he not stepped up and stepped in. "The Tulane University of Louisiana" (as we're officially named) was thus born.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
LSU-MD
Low Tide

Perhaps being the largest private employer in the States largest city might have something to do with it. Tulane went private when Paul Tulane bailed out the University of Louisiana which may not have survived had he not stepped up and stepped in. "The Tulane University of Louisiana" (as we're officially named) was thus born.
What still doesn't give Tulane any reason to expect special treatment from the Saints for their facility. Now UNO is a state owned entity and if the Saints demanded that a state run entity bow to their will or they couldn't use the state owned facility, then I could see the argument. However, I hate the state and local governments bending over and taking it from the sports owners, but I really don't want to discuss because then I get to thinking abort the clusterf*** that is Marlins Park and the taxes I have to pay to have a terrible baseball team. :explode: :cens_red:
OUG
Riptide

Maybe we unpin this and move forward. Just a thought. We have a new AD. He seems great. He says the board is fully bought in to what he wants to do. I don't know that there is a reason we need to highlight AF's manifesto anymore.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:Maybe we unpin this and move forward. Just a thought. We have a new AD. He seems great. He says the board is fully bought in to what he wants to do. I don't know that there is a reason we need to highlight AF's manifesto anymore.
And on that note, Dannen is a much much better choice than Fielkow.
Show Me
Tsunami

Forever TU
Surge

Great news thanks for posting. He probably won't but I'd bet people would love it if he ran for Mayor.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

LSU-MD wrote:
Your point?

Tulane was forced to go private due to the ineptness of Government officials in Louisiana...the original name was the medical College of Louisiana and later changed to the University of Louisiana...the University was the leader in the study of tropical diseases, which ran rampant thru out the South ...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 2fkQ1puUnA
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

Nice story! Wish Arnie was our AD. We need a schmoozer to raise moola! As a New Orleanian, he would have had a real connection to Tulane. Maybe it can still happen?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:43 am Nice story! Wish Arnie was our AD. We need a schmoozer to raise moola! As a New Orleanian, he would have had a real connection to Tulane. Maybe it can still happen?
I think Benson blocked him. Tom no longer around so there’s a chance. I wish that link still worked that described his plan.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:47 am
Bigschtick wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:43 am Nice story! Wish Arnie was our AD. We need a schmoozer to raise moola! As a New Orleanian, he would have had a real connection to Tulane. Maybe it can still happen?
I think Benson blocked him. Tom no longer around so there’s a chance. I wish that link still worked that described his plan.
That's right; there's no way that Arnie was going to happen with Benson. Wishing otherwise was just howling at the moon. And it still may not with Gail.
Bigschtick
Riptide

So what was the thing between Arnie and Benson?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Soooooooo. . . Is Gail and the rest of the board going to step up with NIL ? Would love to get Arnie involved at any level ( preferably a high one).
ajcalhoun
Swell

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:41 pm So what was the thing between Arnie and Benson?
Benson tried to use Katrina as an excuse to move the Saints to San Antonio and his GM, Arnie, blew the whistle on him.
God Bless Everyone!