SCOTUS puts kill shot to NCAA's defense of amateurism with NIL

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

SCOTUS votes 9-0 against the NCAA on the question of whether its definition of amateurism should get special legal treatment. Already gearing up for the NIL change, now we may see schools writing checks to the players. The Wild Wild West just got wilder. You have to wonder if this won't put a permanent split into the collegiate athletic world--those schools that pay and those schools that won't pay. I guess it may depend on how high the pay scale gets--schools like Tulane can't go too high without direct support from alums. Gibson Hall isn't going to like playing in this new world.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:02 pm SCOTUS votes 9-0 against the NCAA on the question of whether its definition of amateurism should get special legal treatment. Already gearing up for the NIL change, now we may see schools writing checks to the players. The Wild Wild West just got wilder. You have to wonder if this won't put a permanent split into the collegiate athletic world--those schools that pay and those schools that won't pay. I guess it may depend on how high the pay scale gets--schools like Tulane can't go too high without direct support from alums. Gibson Hall isn't going to like playing in this new world.
with that ruling you may also begin to see high school superstars get paid next. I get it but don’t like it. It can’t be good for G5’s.
(Manning, Zion and LBJ types)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
BC Wave
Swell

I played to soon

What I could have raked in when I hit clean up and batted .600 while playing 3b for the Wildcats In my 13-14 year old Dixie Youth League!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

BC Wave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:46 pm I played to soon

What I could have raked in when I hit clean up and batted .600 while playing 3b for the Wildcats In my 13-14 year old Dixie Youth League!
Same here. 8-)
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:53 pm
BC Wave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:46 pm I played to soon

Same here. 8-)
damn...the money I could have made after I pitched that perfect game, my Soph year in high school
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This ruling doesn't call for players getting paid salaries. It allows the schools to give them educational related items like laptops.,
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:45 pm This ruling doesn't call for players getting paid salaries. It allows the schools to give them educational related items like laptops.,
Seems like they can get cash per this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 237656001/

“Athletes playing Division I men’s or women’s basketball or Bowl Subdivision football will be able to receive benefits from their schools that include cash or cash-equivalent awards based on academics or graduation.”
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:47 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:45 pm This ruling doesn't call for players getting paid salaries. It allows the schools to give them educational related items like laptops.,

“Athletes playing Division I men’s or women’s basketball or Bowl Subdivision football will be able to receive benefits from their schools that include cash or cash-equivalent awards based on academics or graduation.”
Stipends like they already get and have to be educationally related.

"On Monday, the high court agreed, ruling that the NCAA's curbs on non-cash payments, including benefits like computers, musical instruments, academic awards and paid internships, violates a federal law called the Sherman Antitrust Act - meant to outlaw monopolies in business.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:50 pm

"On Monday, the high court agreed, ruling that the NCAA's curbs on non-cash payments, including benefits like computers, musical instruments, academic awards and paid internships, violates a federal law called the Sherman Antitrust Act - meant to outlaw monopolies in business.
Stipends have been around forever. The way I read it this is in addition.
Otherwise there’s no need for a change.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 pm

These have to be EDUCATIONALLY RELATED.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:02 pm

Of course. But it’s in addition to what we currently allow.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:04 pm
Of course it does. I never said it didn't. What it doesn't do is allow salaries to be paid as I said above.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:09 pm

Of course it does. I never said it didn't. What it doesn't do is allow salaries to be paid as I said above.
You said they were only going to get things like laptops. Everyone else said cash payments.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

More than laptops now allowed.
Cash payments. Nobody said a salary.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:16 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:09 pm
You said they were only going to get things like laptops. Everyone else said cash payments.
I didn't say they were only getting laptops. Like I said it has to be educationally related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:16 pm
More than laptops now allowed.
Cash payments. Nobody said a salary.
Has to be educationally related,. That's the point. You want to try and create hysteria that's on you.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You said HS players would get paid next. Like I said it's not salaries.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:33 pm You said HS players would get paid next. Like I said it's not salaries.
Paid (means to receive cash) is what I’m saying. I never said payroll. It’s an opinion that I can see it happening in HS with the superstars. I hope I’m wrong but it opens the door.
As far as college goes you can bet this ruling doesn’t benefit schools like Tulane. That’s all people here are trying to express.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:37 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:33 pm You said HS players would get paid next. Like I said it's not salaries.
Paid (means to receive cash) is what I’m saying. I never said payroll. It’s an opinion that I can see it happening in HS with the superstars. I hope I’m wrong but it opens the door.
As far as college goes you can bet this ruling doesn’t benefit schools like Tulane. That’s all people here are trying to express.
You said get paid which clearly makes people think salaries. That’s clearly not the case here. TD says we can take advantage of the graduate programs. This ruling won’t have any great impact . Future cases might but not this one.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Maybe you took it that way but I’m saying I did not mean a salary when I said paid cash. I think like everything else the deep pocket schools will figure out an advantage with this ruling.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tulane can handle this one. Not the one to panic over. If they rule in one of the follow up cases that they must pay salaries then it’s over. The 2% will have ruined it for the 98%.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:50 pm Tulane can handle this one. Not the one to panic over. If they rule in one of the follow up cases that they must pay salaries then it’s over. The 2% will have ruined it for the 98%.
Yep. Still don’t like the way we’re heading with this.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ok for now. We'll see what happens next.
greenie78
Riptide

The NCAA never had a true defense for its intent on amateurism. It was fraudulent especially with the amount of money being made.