Why are we unable to recruit locally ?

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:33 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:27 pm Not really. It would bring the four or so elite programs back some and put more excitement into college football.
I guess it depends on what this minor league would look like but having less good players would not make a better product. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are getting the best players regardless. That’s not helping anyone catch up with them
Those better players they would then be getting wouldn't be so clearly ahead of other players. As I said previously this would make coaching much more important.
The programs that have the most money would go get the best coaches if they don’t already have them.

And If there was a minor league football league out there that players were choosing over Alabama/Clemson/Ohio St etc. it would definitely make college football a worse product. Less talent would give you more parity and you might find that exciting but less talent leads to a lower level of play, which gives you a worse product,

ajcalhoun
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:33 am This entire dialogue highlights why schools like Tulane might actually benefit if the minor league football initiative actually takes hold. It will completely change which players are still left for a 100% amateur college football.
What "minor league football initiative" are you talking about? There is no minor league football Initiative that I know of. There's a thread on here about a minor league basketball initiative. I don't see how that would help us sign more local wide receivers.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:00 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:33 pm

I guess it depends on what this minor league would look like but having less good players would not make a better product. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are getting the best players regardless. That’s not helping anyone catch up with them
Those better players they would then be getting wouldn't be so clearly ahead of other players. As I said previously this would make coaching much more important.
The programs that have the most money would go get the best coaches if they don’t already have them.

And If there was a minor league football league out there that players were choosing over Alabama/Clemson/Ohio St etc. it would definitely make college football a worse product. Less talent would give you more parity and you might find that exciting but less talent leads to a lower level of play, which gives you a worse product,
We'll have to agree to disagree. People won't notice a difference.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Maybe you won’t but I would
nawlinspete
Riptide

Perception that our FB coaches are not happy here and are constantly looking to get out .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:26 pm Maybe you won’t but I would
Nobody would. They'd only be taking 2% of each recruiting class.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

RE: The title of this thread: why are we unable to recruit locally.

We are unable to recruit locally because we don't win enough games.

We don't win enough games because we can't recruit locally.

We are unable to recruit locally because...... well, you get the picture.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:11 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:33 am This entire dialogue highlights why schools like Tulane might actually benefit if the minor league football initiative actually takes hold. It will completely change which players are still left for a 100% amateur college football.
What "minor league football initiative" are you talking about? There is no minor league football Initiative that I know of. There's a thread on here about a minor league basketball initiative. I don't see how that would help us sign more local wide receivers.
Minor league basketball has been around for some time. There is some group trying to put the same thing together for football. Which if it happens would be an outlet for all those non-student athletes that schools like Tulane don't get. Any such development would only impact the football factories, and as Winwave points out, would not hurt college football in a broader sense.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:24 pm
This hypothetical league doesn’t even exist. Who’s to say how many players they’re taking
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:38 pm
Minor league basketball has been around for some time. There is some group trying to put the same thing together for football. Which if it happens would be an outlet for all those non-student athletes that schools like Tulane don't get. Any such development would only impact the football factories, and as Winwave points out, would not hurt college football in a broader sense.
As a fan I wouldn’t be interested and would no longer support Tulane Athletics at a lower level. Playing in the minor leagues would hurt the school in general educational wise as well. By the way that’s been a dream of Scott Cowen since the 2003 Review.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

Is minor league basketball hurting the basketball factories?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:39 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:24 pm
This hypothetical league doesn’t even exist. Who’s to say how many players they’re taking
This league ,if it come into existence, will be going after the clear cut best and won't have many teams. Only 2% of players make it to the league and that's who they will target. Not all of them will go as some of the best actually do value education. So it will be a very small number of players and the difference in play won't be discernible.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:42 pm

As a fan I wouldn’t be interested and would no longer support Tulane Athletics at a lower level. Playing in the minor leagues would hurt the school in general educational wise as well. By the way that’s been a dream of Scott Cowen since the 2003 Review.
We're talking a professional minor league not colleges dropping down.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:50 pm

Thanks for catching that. I skimmed the last thread.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:00 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:50 pm
Thanks for catching that. I skimmed the last thread.
No problem. :cheers:
Dave breslin
Swell

Isn’t college football the minor league for the nfl? If you think that ALL the football factories have student/athletes than your delusional.
wave97
Swell

We all know the answer of why Tulane Football has not recruited well in Metro NOLA. However, Coach Fritz seems to be a very good man who is in the mid to late process of a complete program turnaround.
It will be up to him when and if he wants to stay. Tulane Football at it's best has always been looked upon as a one trick pony. Whenever Willie Fritz goes Tulane Athletics will have to do something it has never done before: Hire a successful replacement staff. Just like what the University of Miami managed so well since 1984.
wave97
Swell

Have strong performance on the field.
Build up the West wall of Yulman.
Use the " practice patch" to build a first rate training facility.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:25 pm

It seems to have lately. Who was in the Final Four this year? Where's Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc. When Kentucky was still getting to Final Fours, it was usually with superb freshmen that were gone after one year. But the best news is that none of college basketball fandom has noticed any drop in the talent level or entertainment value of college basketball. Nor will they notice any drop in college football, even if a football minor league gets off the ground.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's delusional to think that others schools are good at football because their players don't go to class and we are no good because our players do. That's just whining and ignoring all the self inflicted wounds that Tulane has inflicted on itself. Nick Saban is the best coach around and it is well known that he has always monitored his players class attendance.
Profoundwizard
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:47 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:25 pm

It seems to have lately. Who was in the Final Four this year? Where's Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc. When Kentucky was still getting to Final Fours, it was usually with superb freshmen that were gone after one year. But the best news is that none of college basketball fandom has noticed any drop in the talent level or entertainment value of college basketball. Nor will they notice any drop in college football, even if a football minor league gets off the ground.
Kentucky isn’t losing those players to minor league basketball, they’re losing them to other schools.
Kansas and Duke had down years this year, go back to last year and they were really good. He’ll Kansas was good this year too, just not up to their usual standard of winning the Big 12.
Basketball lends itself to higher variance anyway which gives “mid-majors” a greater chance anyway
Dave breslin
Swell

I’m a backer of sports. I believe that it creates character and can make a young man better. Most recruits are good young men—but there are a percentage that should not be in college and are only in it for the chance to go pro. It’s what we have created. There are some that make a mockery of the student/athlete. I’m a proponent of working with those that don’t have the background and making them flourish-as Saban has done. I thought he did a great job at LSU in this regard. But, I can’t say it’s common at all schools Ask Dexter Manley.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Manley was at OSU 40 years ago. Things change. Things like his situation have brought on things like the APR to make sure schools are giving the players an education. Also in this day and age of social media if a school wasn't having athletes attend classes it would be put out there for all to see. Other schools players go to class. They just go to schools that didn't completely fuck up like Tulane and miss the money boat that puts their programs in position to be highly successful unlike Tulane.