Dannen and Fritz not going to KU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:34 pm The very latest head coach search discussion from "Kansas Jayhawk Football":

https://www.rockchalktalk.com/2021/4/7/ ... ch-chatter
Reading the comments from KU fans, it sure sounds like they are convinced that a wild and wooly conference realignment is just around the corner.--and they have their own concerns about being left out in the cold. I wonder if Dannen can pull himself away from his Iowa lake house, or his on-going job search, long enough to work some realignment controls for us.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:08 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:35 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:31 pm
Dannen has been interviewing for a lot of open AD jobs. He wants out. Problem nobody wants him. When KU took a rookie assistant AD over him that convinced me he’s here forever. No progress in anything. Willie Fritz has done well but the bar for him was so low. Compared to Bowden it’s a different story. Hunter as well. Dunleavy bar so low. Dickson bar so low. Sucks to be a Tulane fan and has for most of my life. Citypark nailed it. How we didn’t hire Arnie is beyond belief.
I'm no fan of TD but truth is you can't blame him for looking elsewhere. He sees that the facilities for the two main sports are a huge hindrance to recruiting and that even if you fill them they are so small you can't make any money. On top of that the few big money donors all got tapped out by the stadium so he can't build the football ops. nor the new Arena.
Truth be told those big donors had loyalty to Cowen and Dickson. Dannen has not brought in one of his own donors like Fitts seems to be bringing in for the university. Rick Jones brought in his own donors to fund the Turchin build. Conroy and Dickson got Devlin to donate for basketball and Cowen got Yulman and Glazer to donate for FB. Dannen has done absolutely nothing to bring in his own or new donors. He got a bigger weight room that now rivals Newman HS.
Truth be told those donors were loyal to Tulane not SC/RD. Like I said we don't have many big money donors and that project tapped them out. As I already said see Tulane's endowment to see that it doesn't have a very wealthy alumni base.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:30 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:34 pm The very latest head coach search discussion from "Kansas Jayhawk Football":

Reading the comments from KU fans, it sure sounds like they are convinced that a wild and wooly conference realignment is just around the corner.--and they have their own concerns about being left out in the cold. I wonder if Dannen can pull himself away from his Iowa lake house, or his on-going job search, long enough to work some realignment controls for us.
For him to have any type of meaningful pitch we would need to win the conference this year and then win the NY6 Bowl. Basketball would have to make a huge jump and make the NIT.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:03 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:35 pm

I'm no fan of TD but truth is you can't blame him for looking elsewhere. He sees that the facilities for the two main sports are a huge hindrance to recruiting and that even if you fill them they are so small you can't make any money. On top of that the few big money donors all got tapped out by the stadium so he can't build the football ops. nor the new Arena.
Truth be told those big donors had loyalty to Cowen and Dickson. Dannen has not brought in one of his own donors like Fitts seems to be bringing in for the university. Rick Jones brought in his own donors to fund the Turchin build. Conroy and Dickson got Devlin to donate for basketball and Cowen got Yulman and Glazer to donate for FB. Dannen has done absolutely nothing to bring in his own or new donors. He got a bigger weight room that now rivals Newman HS.
Truth be told those donors were loyal to Tulane not SC/RD. Like I said we don't have many big money donors and that project tapped them out. As I already said see Tulane's endowment to see that it doesn't have a very wealthy alumni base.
I’m talking Athletic donations. Yulman had never given a dime to Athletics prior to his naming rights donation. Without Cowen (whom I despise) got him to donate. Benson never gave either. Just saying quit making excuses for Dannen he’s been a complete failure at fundraising. That’s why he won’t get another AD job.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:13 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:03 pm
I’m talking Athletic donations. Yulman had never given a dime to Athletics prior to his naming rights donation. Without Cowen (whom I despise) got him to donate. Benson never gave either. Just saying quit making excuses for Dannen he’s been a complete failure at fundraising. That’s why he won’t get another AD job.
Not making excuses for him. The fact is the few big money donors out there got tapped out by the stadium. I am the first one here who ever pointed out that he has been a failure in that department.
wave97
Swell

Not sure any hiring info will be released before the end of Spring drills. They started this week.....
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:22 pm Not sure any hiring info will be released before the end of Spring drills. They started this week.....
The KU Spring game is May 1, if I read correctly. That's really late to make a decision.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:48 pm
wave97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:22 pm Not sure any hiring info will be released before the end of Spring drills. They started this week.....
The KU Spring game is May 1, if I read correctly. That's really late to make a decision.
If there is a time of the year for a FBS football coaching staff to relax a little it's right after Spring drills. Not much more than junior recruiting/early Summer pre-season camp invites (which for Tulane, has been very successful due to the participation of a program up river).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:55 am
If there is a time of the year for a FBS football coaching staff to relax a little it's right after Spring drills. Not much more than junior recruiting/early Summer pre-season camp invites (which for Tulane, has been very successful due to the participation of a program up river).
No argument there. But it's a late date for a new hire to put in a new system (which most coaches would do) and be ready to play 16 weeks later. Even worse, try to find a new HC losing one AFTER spring practice and then have him face the same dilemma, with even less time. The one thing both schools (regardless of whether that means KU/TU) would have going for them is Coaches fired after last season have had a few months to cool off and let the desire to get back on the sideline be rekindled. Many that planned to take a year off are bored. If Fritz left, I would LOVE to see Tom Herman on the Tulane sidelines. I know some don't like him, but I think he's a good coach. I bet Houston would trade him for Dana H.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:04 am

No argument there. But it's a late date for a new hire to put in a new system (which most coaches would do) and be ready to play 16 weeks later. Even worse, try to find a new HC losing one AFTER spring practice and then have him face the same dilemma, with even less time. The one thing both schools (regardless of whether that means KU/TU) would have going for them is Coaches fired after last season have had a few months to cool off and let the desire to get back on the sideline be rekindled. Many that planned to take a year off are bored. If Fritz left, I would LOVE to see Tom Herman on the Tulane sidelines. I know some don't like him, but I think he's a good coach. I bet Houston would trade him for Dana H.

That would be a home run hire. In past years and administrations he would never consider us. I think it would still be a long shot but crazier things have happened.
Show Me
Tsunami

KU should announce something on Monday.
1989alum
Low Tide

All this talk about Dannen participating in many AD interviews and what a horrible fund raiser he has been for Tulane. Where else has he interviewed and how much $$ has he raised vs. Dickson, other? Unless you have good intel and actual numbers/proof, shut up with the speculation, bad mouthing. You sound like Trump - lots of hot air and BS.
wave97
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:28 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:10 am Arnie was highly energized and ready to shake everything up, in order to make Tulane athletics successful. All this made him way too dangerous for the Tulane blue bloods and mediocrity-worshipping administration. His energy and effort would have comparatively embarrassed many of the those who have been lapping at the Tulane Trough for way too long.
I love Arnie and I believe he will go straight to Heaven for helping to blow up Tom Benson's plan to use Katrina as an excuse to move the Saints to San Antonio but that grand gesture also made him pretty much un-hirable. When you're paid good money you are supposed to follow orders.
Would have loved to see the Saints move to San Antonio.
The San Antonio Santos has a good ring to it.
San Antonio's market share is significantly bigger than New Orleans and growing with each every day....
Very sad they didn't move.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He attempted to raise $35 million for a a football ops. building. He completely failed on that and all we ended up with is an expansion of our way too small weight room. Why don't you do your own research and prover everyone wrong. Otherwise STFU.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Show Me wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:05 am KU should announce something on Monday.
Where are you seeing that?
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:04 am

Can you hire a head coach as a staff consultant?
Why not have UT Austin pay for our new "Consultant".
HoustonWave
Tsunami

1989alum wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:39 am All this talk about Dannen participating in many AD interviews and what a horrible fund raiser he has been for Tulane. Where else has he interviewed and how much $$ has he raised vs. Dickson, other? Unless you have good intel and actual numbers/proof, shut up with the speculation, bad mouthing. You sound like Trump - lots of hot air and BS.
During Dickson's stay, he raised money to overhaul Fogelman Arena, upgrade Turchin, build Hertz Center, and fund Yulman Stadium. Climb out from under your rock, and quit making a fool of yourself.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Tom Herman isn't coming to Tulane. Last time I spoke with him, when he was at UH, he was very dismissive of Tulane, and enjoyed making jokes about Tulane. I reminded him that he had his UH job primarily because we had beaten UH, in Houston, the season before he was hired.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

If we're going to float wild ideas, why not follow the No. Carolina approach and go retro by rehiring Tommy Boy. What's he doing these days? Why hasn't he ever coached again? He might even go get Rich Rod and try to create some magic once again at Tulane. Maybe Tommy Boy has been out of coaching too long--may have lost any contacts he ever had.
Show Me
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:21 am
Show Me wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:05 am KU should announce something on Monday.
I’m only guessing that but
Fritz is now the favorite

Fritz still appears to be the frontrunner out of all of them, however. His buyout is not available as Tulane is a private university, but prior to his 2020 contract extension, his salary was reported as $1.6M per year. So, we could be looking at a decent chuck of change here, barring a clause reducing or eliminating any buyout should he take the KU job.
wave97
Swell

I'll bet you there's a realtor in Buffalo or N.O. who knows a thing or two.
gbgreenie
Surge

Show Me wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am

Fritz still appears to be the frontrunner out of all of them, however. His buyout is not available as Tulane is a private university, but prior to his 2020 contract extension, his salary was reported as $1.6M per year. So, we could be looking at a decent chuck of change here, barring a clause reducing or eliminating any buyout should he take the KU job.
Willie is not going anywhere, fake news gets you guys all the time. He has not even interviewed for the job. Busy with Spring Practice.
Back-to-back bowl victories and the anticipation of even better days to come earned fifth-year Tulane football coach Willie Fritz a contract extension through 2027.

After the Green Wave’s Monday morning practice, Fritz, 60, confirmed what was first reported by Yahoo Sports, although he added the deal was for an extra year and had been signed a while ago without being publicized. His last contract ran through 2023.

"I’m fired up," he said. "My wife and I are excited about it. We love New Orleans. We love Tulane. It’s a great school. We have a great group of young men playing for us. I think the future is extremely bright. We signed a great class last year and feel like we’ve got a great group committed.”
“I really think the sky is the limit with the academics we can sell the student-athletes, the great league we play in and our location,” Fritz said. “All those things are pluses. There’s no reason why we can’t have high-end academics and be a football powerhouse. That’s what our goal is.”
Last edited by gbgreenie on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 pm

Willie is not going anywhere, fake news gets you guys all the time. He has not even interviewed for the job. Busy with Spring Practice.
I agree that he’s probably not interviewed yet but he may interview soon
Show Me
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:32 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 pm

I agree that he’s probably not interviewed yet but he may interview soon
Zoom
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Who's tracking the planes? :mrgreen: