A Lil' Coaching History

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

Good overall.

I would add Jim Pïttman for honorable mention.

Toledo did have the team ready to play ranked UAB and Alabama in same year.

Did not Toledo use his connections to lure Losman from Ca. to Tulane?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
anEngineer
Riptide

While Teevens was a poor coach, he did put most of the pieces in place for when Bowden got here. He could convince players to come to Tulane, he just couldn't do anything with them.
Wave755
Tsunami

swampnik wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:33 am Good overall.

I would add Jim Pïttman for honorable mention.

Toledo did have the team ready to play ranked UAB and Alabama in same year.

Did not Toledo use his connections to lure Losman from Ca. to Tulane?
Nope, instead Scelfo got Losman away from “Buffet Bob.”

Maybe you mean Ryan Griffin? “Buffet Bob” did bring Griffin to Tulane through his California connections?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I have read elsewhere that Shaughnessy was hired before Knute Rockne got on the train to New Orleans. In fact, I was told that Tulane sent a telegram that reached him at the station in Chicago prior to boarding, telling him not to make the trip. I've read this in multiple places and multiple times throughout the years. I'm not swearing by it, but that's the story I always believed.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave Fan
Low Tide

I wouldn’t have listed Andy Pilney as one of the worst. He operated in the SEC in the depths of de-emphasis. Thank you Rufus Harris.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 am I have read elsewhere that Shaughnessy was hired before Knute Rockne got on the train to New Orleans. In fact, I was told that Tulane sent a telegram that reached him at the station in Chicago prior to boarding, telling him not to make the trip. I've read this in multiple places and multiple times throughout the years. I'm not swearing by it, but that's the story I always believed.
True. I have a copy of the Telegram in a box somewhere in my attic.
The Tulane HC job was once a Top 10 job.
Later Tulane President Rufus Harris destroyed that with his de-emphasis of Athletics. That and leaving the SEC were multi billion dollar financial mistakes that set Tulane University back forever.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 am Image
A rather impressive line up. Ironically two of them, Pittman and MacKenzie died rather young from heart attacks.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:10 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 am Image
A rather impressive line up. Ironically two of them, Pittman and MacKenzie died rather young from heart attacks.
Yes. No doubt
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yep. We were once so good we could turn down Rockne and still hire a great coach.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:19 pm Yep. We were once so good we could turn down Rockne and still hire a great coach.
Exactly
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think ND got the better end of that "trade". In 12 seasons as the HC of the Irish, Rockne won 3 National Championships outright, went undefeated and untied 5 times, and was one of the pioneers of promoting his team and sport to the media. In fact, he probably missed out on another national championship when he skipped a game (versus Carnegie Tech) to cover Army v Navy for wire services and ND lost, their only loss that year. Shaughnassy may have been the greatest Tulane coach of all time, but he was no Knute Rockne. LOL, We got "Tulaned" way back then!
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:19 pm I think ND got the better end of that "trade". In 12 seasons as the HC of the Irish, Rockne won 3 National Championships outright, went undefeated and untied 5 times, and was one of the pioneers of promoting his team and sport to the media. In fact, he probably missed out on another national championship when he skipped a game (versus Carnegie Tech) to cover Army v Navy for wire services and ND lost, their only loss that year. Shaughnassy may have been the greatest Tulane coach of all time, but he was no Knute Rockne. LOL, We got "Tulaned" way back then!
Hard to say. ND probably wins the same with Shaughnassy as well.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:11 pm Hard to say. ND probably wins the same with Shaughnassy as well.
But would they have had all the cornerstones laid for the mega-marketing machine that Notre Dame would become in a very large part to Rockne's efforts to court the media? Could you imagine if he had put Tulane in the nation wide conscience of every football fan the way he did with the Notre Dame?

From a branding standpoint, Rockne really started it and took college football, along with Notre Dame to heights never imagined. College football was a huge fabric of America in large part due to Rockne. And that lasted for generations, though it's faded somewhat among our youth and as they get into their 20s and 30's.

Shaughnassy was a great coach. Whomever hired him hit the jackpot (twice, I believe!) But Rockne's record speaks for itself, I really cannot think of someone who did more for their University and the sport.

Dog days have arrived early this year!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:07 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:11 pm Hard to say. ND probably wins the same with Shaughnassy as well.
But would they have had all the cornerstones laid for the mega-marketing machine that Notre Dame would become in a very large part to Rockne's efforts to court the media? Could you imagine if he had put Tulane in the nation wide conscience of every football fan the way he did with the Notre Dame?

From a branding standpoint, Rockne really started it and took college football, along with Notre Dame to heights never imagined. College football was a huge fabric of America in large part due to Rockne. And that lasted for generations, though it's faded somewhat among our youth and as they get into their 20s and 30's.

Shaughnassy was a great coach. Whomever hired him hit the jackpot (twice, I believe!) But Rockne's record speaks for itself, I really cannot think of someone who did more for their University and the sport.

Dog days have arrived early this year!
But if Fritz takes the Jayhawk bait, our Dog Days will suddenly get very busy. Unless Dannen quickly throws the keys to Chip Long, which is very possible since Dannen probably doesn't want to go out and find a coach.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:58 am But if Fritz takes the Jayhawk bait, our Dog Days will suddenly get very busy. Unless Dannen quickly throws the keys to Chip Long, which is very possible since Dannen probably doesn't want to go out and find a coach.
Yeah you right. Although I would hope before offering the job to Long, he would at least make the call to Hattiesburg. Yes, it would be a shitty thing to do to USM, but I would be happy with a Hall HC, Long OC and a veteran DC like...dare I say... Lionel W.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:48 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:58 am But if Fritz takes the Jayhawk bait, our Dog Days will suddenly get very busy. Unless Dannen quickly throws the keys to Chip Long, which is very possible since Dannen probably doesn't want to go out and find a coach.
Yeah you right. Although I would hope before offering the job to Long, he would at least make the call to Hattiesburg. Yes, it would be a shitty thing to do to USM, but I would be happy with a Hall HC, Long OC and a veteran DC like...dare I say... Lionel W.
That would all be good as well. And truly ironic, is that QB Keyes would be left in Hattiesburg.
Dave breslin
Swell

After rating the coaches of the past-let’s rate the Gibson Hall intellectuals who drive this bus. The game has changed faster than the thinking at the top
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:59 am After rating the coaches of the past-let’s rate the Gibson Hall intellectuals who drive this bus. The game has changed faster than the thinking at the top
Boy is that the truth. The game, and the world, has always been ahead of the Gibson Hall Brain Trust.