Dannen and Fritz not going to KU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:28 pm
ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:11 pm I'm surprised Goff took the job. It is P5 but hardly the best job out there. I think he could have held out for better. TD, on the other hand...
It's his alma mater. Strong pull to many.
D'oh! I didn't realize that.

God Bless Everyone!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think we also overlook the massive raise and the lure of the big chair.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:51 pm I think we also overlook the massive raise and the lure of the big chair.
That too.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I’m really pleased for Travis—he’s a super nice guy and hard worker. But ya’ll are right, it’s got to be one of the toughest AD jobs on the planet. Almost as hard as the KU head football coach job.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:51 pm I think we also overlook the massive raise and the lure of the big chair.

And if true , NW passing on him. Just a couple of months ago when they hired their new AD .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:57 pm And if true , NW passing on him. Just a couple of months ago when they hired their new AD .
Who did Northwestern hire? To my knowledge, their AD is in his job until he becomes ACC Commissioner in June or July. A quick google search didn't reveal them naming a new one.

I think at Kansas, if he can stabilize the Athletics Department and hire a coach that wins a few games, he can make a name for himself. Then, if he chooses, he can move on. So he gets to go home to his alma mater, gets the big pay raise and his first AD job with an opportunity to really make a name for himself. I'd take that in a heartbeat versus waiting around for Northwestern to maybe hire me or maybe not. Is there a chance he flames out as the Kansas AD? Yes, but there's that chance anywhere.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

Pretty apparent he has been told by NW he will not be the new AD . If NW was going that route it would have already been announced .
    President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
    Show Me
    Tsunami

alumniwave
    Low Tide

alumniwave wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:38 pm Heard that it is truly down to Goff and Dannen.
    Very good chance it is announced Saturday.

I was wrong. Didn’t happen today.
    DfromCT
    Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:30 pm
      Pretty apparent he has been told by NW he will not be the new AD . If NW was going that route it would have already been announced .
      First you said they didn't pick him when they chose a new AD then you said they already told him they weren't picking him. Pretty apparent you are clueless about the intentions of Northwestern's search committee. I don't have a penny's worth of inside information there, either. But, as outlined above, it makes sense for Goff to go home to his alma mater rather than wait around to find out if he's in the running for a job you proclaimed was filled already when the search continues.
      " If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
      tpstulane
      Top of the WAVE

Most important hire in school history
      https://throughthephog.com/2021/04/01/n ... l-history/
      Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
      Tulane Class of 1981
      MicMan
      Swell

That article somehow missed that KU just gave Self a lifetime renewing contract.
      Wave755
      Tsunami

From 247 two hours ago: https://247sports.com/Article/Kansas-Ja ... 163689003/

""I also was told over the weekend that Tulane AD Troy Dannen was (or perhaps still is?) involved deep into the process and, like Goff, went through both Zoom and in-person interviews," writes Matt Tait."

"The University of Kansas is narrowing its coaching search and has honed in on two top candidates, according to John Brice of Football Scoop. Following the departure of Jeff Long as athletic director, the Jayhawks are taking a close look at Tulane's Willie Fritz and Army's Jeff Monken, two successful leaders at Group of 5 programs who haven't yet gotten an opportunity to lead a Power 5."

So who knows, but it really is a "dumpster fire" job for football."🤷‍♂️ And, nothing yet about WF interviewing for the KU job.
      Last edited by Wave755 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      tpstulane
      Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 pm From 247 two hours ago: https://247sports.com/Article/Kansas-Ja ... 163689003/

""I also was told over the weekend that Tulane AD Troy Dannen was (or perhaps still is?) involved deep into the process and, like Goff, went through both Zoom and in-person interviews," writes Matt Tait."

"The University of Kansas is narrowing its coaching search and has honed in on two top candidates, according to John Brice of Football Scoop. Following the departure of Jeff Long as athletic director, the Jayhawks are taking a close look at Tulane's Willie Fritz and Army's Jeff Monken, two successful leaders at Group of 5 programs who haven't yet gotten an opportunity to lead a Power 5."
      If they want WF they probably getting him.
      Tulane Class of 1981
      Bicoastalwave
      Riptide

Multiple sources have said Dannen is out and has withdrawn his name from consideration as Kansas AD. WIllie is still a top candidate

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... ing-focus/
      Bicoastalwave
      Riptide

tpstulane
      Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:30 pm Multiple sources have said Dannen is out and has withdrawn his name from consideration as Kansas AD. WIllie is still a top candidate

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... ing-focus/
      :oops:
      Tulane Class of 1981
      NotJtS
      Low Tide

I call BS that Dannen withdrew his name. If so, it's more about them not wanting him vs. him not wanting the position. And whatever you think about KU or not, it's a step up from Tulane, in both conference and money.

I feel we are left with Dannen until he gives up, turns into Dickson, or it pushed out by Fitz. But at the end of the day, he hasn't done shit here in 6 years...
      golfnut69
      Wild Pelican

one "withdraws" his name, when told by the hiring school, they have been eliminated from consideration, thus giving them an opportunity to "safe face" so to speak...Travis to KU, may be a plus for Tulane, he may vote for TU when expansion comes up next year
      Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
      winwave
      Top of the WAVE

No doubt anytime someone withdraws their name they have believed they aren't getting the job. So we are stuck with TD but it appears WF is in serious consideration. If he goes Long is the obvious and right choice. I've always said that we need a HC who is a hard ass and offensively innovative. He fit s that bill. Sure he'll leave in a couple of seasons but he will have elevated the program to a point where the next pool of candidates will be noticeably better. We were fortunate to get him as OC and we sure as hell better not blow the opportunity to have him as HC.
      BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
      YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
      Small time facilities for small time programs
      6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
      DaveBrownStreak
      High Tide

“Dannen withdraws his name from consideration.” What pure BS! Ain’t going to hire me so I withdraw my name. So he is looking for another job and doesn’t really want to be at Tulane. Be a man Dannen and just admit that you didn’t get the job. Don’t “withdraw” your name to save face!
      wave97
      Swell

If Coach Fritz bolts this Spring I hope we have learned from the "Lindy Infante non-hire". The single greatest catastrophe for Tulane Football since departing from the SEC.
      Would love to see what kind of staff Chip Long could throw together before summer camp. We may be able to improve on our staff with strong and relatively young coaches.
      Wave755
      Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm If Coach Fritz bolts this Spring I hope we have learned from the "Lindy Infante non-hire". The single greatest catastrophe for Tulane Football since departing from the SEC.
      Would love to see what kind of staff Chip Long could throw together before summer camp. We may be able to improve on our staff with strong and relatively young coaches.
      And, let's also learn from our sad history by not "Going nuts" like we did in 1980 and 1998 for then hiring "warn bodies" who would "agree to stay" - in 1980 a washed up Vince Gibson and in 1998 a "shot in the dark" like Chris Scelfo who has never received another HC offer to this day, but he "beat out" RichRod for the job! :roll:

If WF leaves let's "stay cool" and hire somebody up & coming who is good from CUSA, Sunbelt or the MAC - we pay 1.6 million a year, our conference is AAC & we are in New Orleans. If it happens let's stay calm & get it right. And, I have faith in Fitts & Hertz to get it right unlike for Hindman Wall in 1980 & Clown Cowen in 1998 (and remember, Sandy Barbour wanted RR and she was overruled by Clown Cowen). Good coaches will want our job.
      golfnut69
      Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:38 pm
      wave97 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm If Coach Fritz bolts this Spring I hope we have learned from the "Lindy Infante non-hire". The single greatest catastrophe for Tulane Football since departing from the SEC.
      And, let's also learn from our sad history by not "Going nuts" like we did in 1980 and 1998 for then hiring "warn bodies" who would "agree to stay" - in 1980 a washed up Vince Gibson and in 1998 a "shot in the dark" like Chris Scelfo who has never received another HC offer to this day, but he "beat out" RichRod for the job! :roll:

If WF leaves let's "stay cool" and hire somebody up & coming who is good from CUSA, Sunbelt or the MAC - we pay 1.6 million a year, our conference is AAC & we are in New Orleans. If it happens let's stay calm & get it right. And, I have faith in Fitts & Hertz to get it right unlike for Hindman Wall in 1980 & Clown Cowen in 1998 (and remember, Sandy Barbour wanted RR and she was overruled by Clown Cowen). Good coaches will want our job.
      Wall had been freinds with Vince for years, on a personal note, I liked Vince and his wife, actually did business with his wife when she had her eatery near the Garden District.... The Scelfo hire is a totally different situation, there was a fully qualified Coach in the building, who wanted the job, and by all accounts seemed to have the job, but "boosters' got involved, and the rest is history..but I do tip my golf visor to Chris Scelfo for telling SC to go f#@k himself......on a side note, there are many former HC's who never get another Head coaching offer
      Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !