Spring Game Report

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was an absolutely beautiful mild morning to take in the spring game. At 10 sharp the offense and defense took to opposite ends to do various drills. The offense was in white jerseys , white pants and green angry wave helmets. The defense was in green jerseys , white pants and green angry wave helmets. There were refs.

Those on the sideline not dressed out on offense: Mykel Jones, Cyron Sutton, Claybrook , Remetich9 (boot on his right foot) and Reggie Brown who had a scooter under his right leg. Claybrook had a small sleeve on his left knee and he mimicked what the linemen were doing from the sideline during the stretching period so he doesn't appear to be far away. On defense: Kevaris Hall, Reggie Neely, Larry Brooks and Kanyon Walker. As to Spears he didn't have anything on his knee.

After stretching they went to FG's with full units on the field. Glover kicking to the south end zone was good from 38 from the left hash. He missed from 45 from the middle of the field. He was good from 33 from the middle. He missed wide right from 42 from the right hash. He ended with a make from 33 from the right hash. Dable, who is left footed, came on to kick. His first kick was good from 34 from the right hash. Kiland Harrison then blocked a 30 yarder to loud cheers. He then made a 42 yarder from the left hash.

The scrimmage started with a kick-off by Glover with full units on the field. Kicking from the north to south he kicked it one yard deep into the end zone. Booker returned it to the 15. Brumfield was the other returner.

It started with one's versus one's. The line was from left to right Lombardi, Dublin, Haynesworth, Thomas and Shafter. James at TE. Brumfield at RB with Duece Watts , Toles and P. Watts at WR. The D had Anderson ,Johnson, Hicks and Hatcher up front. The LB's were Williams and Machado. The DB's were Monroe,Harrison, Kerr, Rakestraw and Clark. Going south to north from the 27 the first play was a pass to the right sideline intended for Duece but incomplete on tight coverage by Harrison. He clearly held on the play and everyone screamed for the flag but none was thrown. In fact the refs never called a penalty despite several obvious ones occurring. Willie was the only one calling penalties. Pratt threw to James for 7 and then incomplete to Duece. On 4th down he threw incomplete to Duece. Harrison held again but no call.

The two's came out. The line left to right was Solomon, Fort,Remondet, Green and Tuggle. Ibieta hit Daniels for 8. He then hit Presley for 20. Ibieta overthrew Jones over the middle. Booker then caught one for 6. He then hit Presley for 20 over the middle. Ibieta ran to the 5. He then threw a TD pass to Presley in the left corner of the end zone. Glover made the XP.

On first down from the 27 going north to south Pratt threw incomplete to Booker in the right flat. He then hit Phatt Watts for 5 and then hit Duece for a first down . Clark then broke up a pass. He then threw incomplete to Duece on the right 10 yards downfield. Pratt then scrambled for 3. On 4th he threw a bullet over the middle twenty yards to Duece for a first down. He then threw incomplete to Keitha Jones. The next pass was tipped at the line and fell incomplete. Pratt threw a screen to Booker for 7 and then hit Phatt Watts for 30 or so over the middle. It was another bullet. It's fun to see him make those type of throws. It looks like its shot out of a cannon. Fritz ended the series on that play. On this series the defense had Dixon at RDE and Lunz at LDE.

Wright came out and punted from the north 37 with full units on the field. He hit a 62 yarder that was downed by Hudak at the one to loud applause. Jackson , who never took the field at WR, was back to return the punt. It was going to hit inside the 10 so he faked the catch.

The one's came back out. They were going south to north from the 27. Anderson and Henry were at LB. Brumfield ran for 2 up the middle and then ran agains for 8 up the middle. We had two TE's in for both plays. Phatt caught a screen pass for 9. Pratt ran for 2. Brumfield ran for 1 on first down. He then ran for 2 to the right. Booker caught a pass for no gain to the left flat. He then caught one for 8 to the left side. On first down Pratt threw incomplete to Phatt. He then hit Duece for 4. Brumfield ran for 7 to the left side. Pratt ran for 1 on first down. Toles caught one for 3. Pratt then rolled left and threw to Brumfield who dropped it. Grable then hit a 35 yarder form the middle of the field.

I'll note here that on every pass play Lombardi came out of his stance early but it was never called.

Glover kicked off to Jackson. They were the only two on the field. The ball went to the 2.

The two's came back on. Lunz and Hodges were the ends. Talianich and Friloux were the tackles. Hightower and McCahill were the LB's. The DB's were Liu, Rattan, Dyson, Laister .Daniels caught a pass for 7. Daniels then ran for 4 . Ibieta threw incomplete. Daniels ran for 5. Rattan then intercepted Ibieta. Willie called a phantom offsides penalty on the defense. On first down Ibieta hit Desjardins for 30 yards. Ibieta ran for 1. Booker then ran right for 19 yards for the TD. Glover made the XP.

Casey Glover kicked off to the end zone to Jackson. No one else on the field.

The ones came out going north to south. They started at the 50.
Pratt hit Wallace on a crossing route for 15. Anderson then sacked him for a 7 yard loss. Pratt then threw a beautiful pass to Duece who made a great catch for 22 yards. Hatcher then sacked Pratt for a loss of 7. Wallace caught a 4 yarder. Brumfield ran for 3. Dable came out to kick a 37 yarder. It was no good off to the right. No one was on the field other than the snapper, holder and kicker.

The two's started at the 50 going north to south. Booker ran for 2 up the middle. He then ran fro 4 to the right. Ibieta scrambled for 6 yards for the first down. He then threw incomplete to Presley. Booker ran for 7. Presley then made a beautiful sideline catch for 20 yards. Ibieta scrambled for 5. Booker then made a a 7 yard TD run by leaping into the air from about the 3. There were ooh's and aah's from the crowd on the high leap. Glover made the XP.

With full units on the field Glover kicked to the 10 and Toles returned it for about 15 yards.

The ball was placed on the defense's 20 for the one's going south to north. Pratt was pressured out of the pocket and scrambled to the right and then threw it away. Brumfield then got stuffed for no gain up the middle. He then threw incomplete to Wallace. Dable then made a 37 yarder from the right hash.

The two's came out. and started at the defense's 20 going south to north. Booker ran for 12 to the right side. He then ran for the TD from 8 yards out. Glover made the XP.

Then punt teams came out. Casey Glover punted from the south 43. It was downed at the 5 for a 52 yard punt.

The three's came out. Number 40 , Connor Prouet, a FB tyupe then had fun running the ball smash mouth over the D. Dartez was the QB and he floated one that hung in the air a long time and was eventually caught by Payne. On the last play of the series the offense had gotten the ball to the 9 and it was fourth down. Fritz picked the ball up and placed it on the one. Of course Prouet smashed up the middle nad bulldozed his way in to the end zone. That ended the scrimmage at 11;30.

From the offensive perspective it was pretty vanilla. That's classic Willie not wanting anyone to see what our offense will be like under Long. Pratt threw some really nice passes. Presley had a good day. Duece looked really good too after missing most of camp.

Looking forward to seeing what we look like when we have everybody back in the fall.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I hope we can pick up a couple of quality transfers to add depth during the summer.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Thanks for the detailed report
Dave breslin
Swell

Thanks for the report. Hard to tell if we are playing well when we play ourselves. Is it because we are good or is it because we are bad? Seems that we need some depth. Hoping for the best 👍🏈
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Excellent, win. Almost as good as being there.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it t.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Thanks again, win!
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:45 pm Thanks again, win!
You're welcome. I know a lot of people can't make it and this year I know there's some who usually go but won't because of the pandemic. I just try to give them an idea of what took place.
Hornetswave
Low Tide

thanks Win
anEngineer
Riptide

They were playing rap "music" in the background during the entire game. Weird.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

Thanks win for the report. Glad to see Booker got some ink.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt Booker is athletic. Gotta hope he finally stays healthy.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Great report, win. Thank you for posting.

W/r/t your comment about Lombardi, I noticed in the NFL this season across the league the tackles were getting away with moving a split second before the snap. I estimate that I saw that not get called 4 or 5 times every game, and I'll bet I averaged three plus games a week. I hope it's not a trend, and hope it's not something the college officials decide to let slide. There's an old saying that the refs could call a penalty on every play. In hockey, if it doesn't lead to a turnover, a potential injury, or a lost scoring opportunity, we generally let it go. Back to football, a lineman starting a fraction of a second early does change the play and should be called.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I hear ya D. In this case though it was really early. As I noted the refs didn't call a single penalty. i believe that was on Willie's order. they were there just to blow plays dead. They were lenient with that with regards to the QB's as there really were a few clear cases where they should have blown it dead and called it a sack but they let the QB scramble.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Thoughts on Ibieta ? He put up some big “numbers” this spring albeit against 2nd string with walk ons. Still nice to see him get the reps and throwing some tds. There’s a good chance we will need him at some point to take some snaps.

Any walk ons impress you ?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:02 am Thoughts on Ibieta ? He put up some big “numbers” this spring albeit against 2nd string with walk ons. Still nice to see him get the reps and throwing some tds. There’s a good chance we will need him at some point to take some snaps.

He’d be an NFL TE if I were coaching.
He needs to be on the field somewhere. Talent wasting on the bench. He’s an excellent athlete. The coaches have to figure out how to use him. I don’t see him beating out Pratt at QB but he sure can help somewhere else in the meantime.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave Fan
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:21 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:02 am Thoughts on Ibieta ? He put up some big “numbers” this spring albeit against 2nd string with walk ons. Still nice to see him get the reps and throwing some tds. There’s a good chance we will need him at some point to take some snaps.

He needs to be on the field somewhere. Talent wasting on the bench. He’s an excellent athlete. The coaches have to figure out how to use him. I don’t see him beating out Pratt at QB but he sure can help somewhere else in the meantime.
A Warren Bankston. ?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

+1,000 Ibieta needs to be tried at TE. Use him or lose him.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He has a strong arm despite a somewhat long wind up and shoulder level release point. Hard to judge with him going against the 2's. But he certainly looks promising. I feel a lot more comfortable with him as the back up this year. I certainly don't see him being moved. There's very few Taysom Hill's. I don't see him wanting to play something other than QB and the team needs him there now. especially with Pratt's style of play and our deficiencies on the O-line. Maybe that changes if we continue to recruit well there. To be honest though I don't see him beating anybody out at any other position in order to get meaningful playing time.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave Fan wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:18 pm

A Warren Bankston. ?
Yes!!
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:34 pm

+1,000 Ibieta needs to be tried at TE. Use him or lose him.
For sure
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Ibieta isn’t going to sit around for long as a back up. He’s a versatile athlete with multiple skills. Maybe he’ll end up helping Hunter turn the basketball program around. Find him a spot on the field.
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:58 pm Ibieta isn’t going to sit around for long as a back up. He’s a versatile athlete with multiple skills. Maybe he’ll end up helping Hunter turn the basketball program around. Find him a spot on the field.
He was 12-0 as a pitcher for the Cajuns Jewett probably clueless there. And won games as a hitter
Then again his dad was only Tulane baseball great Juan Ibeita.

https://www.nola.com/sports/high_school ... bf3a1.html
Ibieta scored all four of Country Day’s runs to cap a 3-for-3 effort that included a triple, double, single and a walk that proved as consequential as the six one-hit innings he threw before a pitch count of 82 ended his afternoon on the mound.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:03 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:58 pm Ibieta isn’t going to sit around for long as a back up. He’s a versatile athlete with multiple skills. Maybe he’ll end up helping Hunter turn the basketball program around. Find him a spot on the field.
He was 12-0 as a pitcher for the Cajuns Jewett probably clueless there. And won games as a hitter
Then again his dad was only Tulane baseball great Juan Ibeita.

https://www.nola.com/sports/high_school ... bf3a1.html
Ibieta scored all four of Country Day’s runs to cap a 3-for-3 effort that included a triple, double, single and a walk that proved as consequential as the six one-hit innings he threw before a pitch count of 82 ended his afternoon on the mound.
I knew he was an outstanding baseball player as well—but right now, Tulane doesn’t have a baseball program.