Dannen and Fritz not going to KU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Article in the Athletic says Dannen is a finalist with Travis Goff for the AD spot at KU. The decision is expected to be made by the end of the week. It of course goes on to say that IF TD gets it they could see him bringing WF along. Goff is a KU alum and got his MBA at Tulane while working in our athletic department.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Did Dannen contact KU or it's search firm or was Dannen contacted by them ?

Considering how much Dannen and Fritz "love New Orleans" which finalist is considered "more likely' to bolt ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Pepper
Swell

I may be in the minority but Dannen didn't set the world on fire at UNI. And his record at Tulane is not much better. 13 years as AD with 3 men's & women's NCAA basketball appearances, a couple of div1a & minor bowl appearances and the death of one baseball program and the other on life support. He must be an effective fund raiser to hang his hat on.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

if da go...see ya....too many qualilfied AD and HC replacements to worry about...short list for football...maybe on campus now...if not...look at the UAB coach, Skip Holtz, Hugh Freeze,.RR or Terry Bowden...actually they are all a better fit for Kansas than WF....AD slot can be filled with a plethora of candidates......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This would be amazing that LSU’s rape cover-up charges could lead to Tulane losing it’s AD and head football coach to Kansas
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:00 am I may be in the minority but Dannen didn't set the world on fire at UNI. And his record at Tulane is not much better. 13 years as AD with 3 men's & women's NCAA basketball appearances, a couple of div1a & minor bowl appearances and the death of one baseball program and the other on life support. He must be an effective fund raiser to hang his hat on.
He sucks at fundraising too. Started out to raise $35 million for a football ops. building and we got an expanded weight room out of it. :roll:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

If I’m Mike Fitts and TD leaves for Kansas I would promote Willie Fritz to AD or hire Brian White from FAU as new AD and let him bring his guy over to Tulane (he hired Lane Kiffin) over there before Kiffin went to Ole Miss.
He’s another one of Kevin White’s successful sons.
https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/articles/b ... letics.php

I could see Dannen hiring Travis as his top assistant AD that way Kansas gets all 3. (WF, TD and TG)
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:23 am If I’m Mike Fitts and TD leaves for Kansas I would promote Willie Fritz to AD or hire Brian White from FAU as new AD and let him bring his guy over to Tulane (he hired Lane Kiffin) over there before Kiffin went to Ole Miss.
He’s another one of Kevin White’s successful sons.
https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/articles/b ... letics.php

I could see Dannen hiring Travis as his top assistant AD that way Kansas gets all 3. (WF, TD and TG)
If Dannen does go, bring Travis Goff back to Tulane as AD. I bet Travis would deal with the baseball disaster immediately, and we'd probably end up with Andy as HC. Travis would be stuck with Dannen's extension giveaways.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Show Me
Tsunami

Tulane all about diversity these days. I’d expect the new AD position to be filled based on that criteria as being the most important qualification.
Show Me I’m wrong Tulane please.
galvezwave
Swell

The first tranny football coach!
TURVS71
Swell

As always, there is no loyalty when it comes to ones job potential. No matter how friendly, open and closeness to the fans, coaches and AD’s will bolt as soon as the opportunity arises....trust no one
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I agree I would have Travis Goff as a top 3 candidate should Dannen Leave. Would Dannen bring Lisa Stockton and Travis Jewitt with him :lol:

The only bummer would be what kind of team stability would their be if both leave and they bring the entire FB coaching staff. Would any coaches be retained (clearly we would need an interim). One option- Keep Chip Long, his Nd O Line coach and someone who has been here awhile (Slade Nagel). . . Then go hire Bill Clark 😉
HoustonWave
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:37 pm As always, there is no loyalty when it comes to ones job potential. No matter how friendly, open and closeness to the fans, coaches and AD’s will bolt as soon as the opportunity arises....trust no one
We know Dannen hasn't allocated much time to fund raising, or coach hiring, so it must have been on his career self promotion. I guess KU is buying into the talk track about his AD capabilities. As I said before, when you get down to it he really hasn't done anything of substance at Tulane--if it had not been for hiring Fritz, he'd be "0 for everything".
HoustonWave
Tsunami

If Dannen goes to KU, maybe his Fritz extension will boomerang on him.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

If Fritz is offered, he'll definitely follow Dannen to KU. Willie knows he'll have a safe job as long as Dannen is there.
galvezwave
Swell

Whether correct or not, WF (Or his supporters) can point to those 3 bowl games and he has the label of “program builder”. Willie himself , to his credit, hasn’t done any chest beating for what he’s accomplished at Tulane. He’s actually seemed disappointed in his results to date , to my ear. Maybe I’m wrong. But a Kansas could do worse than WF, and that hire would get good press. “If you can do it at Tulane....”. It’s been a yearly thing and will continue if WF stays . As for TD, I don’t really care. Whatever .
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Which 3 Games Galvez ? Its an interesting question- what have the 3 most important wins been for WF ?

The game winning conversion to our TE to become bowl eligible with 6 wins was definitely one of them. Drawing a blank on the details at the moment. Beating Houston ? Beating Memphis Twice ? Beating Army on the road ?

Anyway i do agree with everything else you said. WF never beats his chest and you can tell has been slightly disappointed with the 6 wins
galvezwave
Swell

I just mean the 3 bowls. I edited. It’s that lack of “important” wins that have plagued WF here. Very few of note.
Show Me
Tsunami

We can do better than Travis Goff. He’s only in the running because he’s a Kansas alum. He needs to be a head AD first. What is Arnie Fielkow up to?
Even Scott Sidwell would be a better choice than Goff.
I see Monica LeBron being hired here.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

If you want to lose a significant number of brain cells read the expert commentary from LSU fans

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/mor ... /95741673/
JerseyWave
Riptide

Kansas hiring Dannen would be a blessing for Tulane. I’ve had enough of him, other than Tulane football reaching a level of credibility, he’s done nothing to improve any other program at Tulane and his fundraising is none existent!
Profoundwizard
Swell

Show Me wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:56 pm We can do better than Travis Goff. He’s only in the running because he’s a Kansas alum. He needs to be a head AD first. What is Arnie Fielkow up to?
Even Scott Sidwell would be a better choice than Goff.
I see Monica LeBron being hired here.
I don’t know too much about how Sidwell would do but you have to think that he would consider bringing us Cannizaro
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Of all the candidates mentioned in this thread to replace Dannen if he leaves, I'd take Brian White (or a different Kevin White offspring!) but I'd also consider bringing Barbara Burke back as AD. From reports, she's done a great job at Iowa. And as previously pointed out to me, she was responsible for bringing Barnes in to coach Volleyball.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Essentially all the candidates to replace Dannen, have done more than Dannen.