Spring Practice 2021

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

True, but that’s ALOT of injuries. It sounds like they can’t even field enough WR or Linebackers. Never mind the fact we have - total of 3 rbs available. This is the chance for the next man up (Jesus machado, one of our highly ranked recruits being a target here).

Man if only we there was a 4 star WR who would have received all the first string snaps and been in line to start . . .

gbgreenie
Surge

Can't wait for the battle between Horton and Pratt, and Courtney will be a good all purpose back for us.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

Booker will be a surprise!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We are all hoping so. Everyone has been anxious to see him break out and utilize that speed. He has every opportunity this year. Hopefully he can finally stay healthy and make the most of it.,
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

How big would we say Mason Courtney is ? He'll never be huge, but neither was Wes Welker, Edelman, Rex Burkhead, Amendola etc and they had great careers. I hope he can provide even a fraction of what those guys did in college.
gbgreenie
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:11 pm How big would we say Mason Courtney is ? He'll never be huge, but neither was Wes Welker, Edelman, Rex Burkhead, Amendola etc and they had great careers. I hope he can provide even a fraction of what those guys did in college.
Courtney is 5'9" reminds me of another Reggie Reginelli, hard nose, quick moves, quick lst step. 110% on every play, soft hands out the backfield. Will run over bigger guys.
https://247sports.com/Video/Mason-Court ... s-9495853/

Rivals listed Mason Courtney at 5'10" 195 lbs, not bad!!! Same a Booker. Some on here will build up certain athletes and downplay others, Kai and Mason will make names for themselves before they leave our University much better as Student Athletes :)
MASON
COURTNEY
RUNNING BACK
5'10'' | 195 LBS
CLASS OF 2021

Mason looks small next to Kai Horton who is a legit 6' 4" 215 lbs, Perfect Pro size QB
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Both of the Seniors at Carthage High School had great High School careers. I really do hope they're battling for playing time, because that means they're pretty damned good. Horton will start the fall camp 3rd AT BEST on the depth chart, Mason 5th or 6th. If/when they work they're way into meaningful playing time they'll either be very good college players or our team is decimated by injuries.

I hope both start because they beat out the others. That would mean they're absolute studs. If it happens, I'll be happy for them and the team and pleasantly surprised. But I cannot get too excited about a kid that hasn't even taken a snap in a practice above the HS level.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
gbgreenie
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:48 pm Both of the Seniors at Carthage High School had great High School careers. I really do hope they're battling for playing time, because that means they're pretty damned good. Horton will start the fall camp 3rd AT BEST on the depth chart, Mason 5th or 6th. If/when they work they're way into meaningful playing time they'll either be very good college players or our team is decimated by injuries.

I hope both start because they beat out the others. That would mean they're absolute studs. If it happens, I'll be happy for them and the team and pleasantly surprised. But I cannot get too excited about a kid that hasn't even taken a snap in a practice above the HS level.
I can agree, but before Pratt landed on campus, lots of praise came his way as being the Savior QB we need: On Paper by the same Recruiting Site 247 Sports, they rated both Pratt and Horton as Recruits and gave Horton as the most Potential. We will see when they land on Campus. Recruiting was restricted because of Covid that seems to have left Horton flying under radar because he was a Basketball Player that became a QB his Junior Year. Then he took command with Natural skills 86 TD Passes only 8 Int. Best is yet to come as he further develops. :) :) :)
Dave breslin
Swell

Is Tyjae on track to come back?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Fritz has said they do expect him to be ready for the Oklahoma game.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Chris Hampton, our new DC, takes on our 3rd down woes:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 9e79f.html
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

“ … Fritz said he canceled last Saturday’s practice because of a lack of bodies at receiver and defensive back, adding the Wave was getting healthier. . . “

Ugh
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:00 pm Chris Hampton, our new DC, takes on our 3rd down woes:

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:00 pm Chris Hampton, our new DC, takes on our 3rd down woes:

It's about having your kids execute technique as calmly and naturally as breathing. This requires nothing but live full speed repetitions with first rate coaching.
Our safeties,, corners nickle/dime not only played with poor tactics & execution but worst of all they played with fear.
We have outsanding linebackers. Our d-line will be young but we have lots of natural twitch - we'll be explosive & quick up front.
If our db's learn how to play loose & confident we will have a nice defense.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Guerry has written some good articles recently. He probably doesn’t get enough kudos and appreciation for the job he does. The majority of the time he is the only guy asking questions in the press conference with fritz and the team. Without him would we even have a post practice press conferences ?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

In spring 1981 and RBs injured, the kickers were dragooned into running plays for the 1st team defense. Much hilarity ensued, and I am still grateful to NT Brian "Big Daddy" Douglas for protecting me from getting hit by the rest of the D.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

MicMan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:08 pm In spring 1981 and RBs injured, the kickers were dragooned into running plays for the 1st team defense. Much hilarity ensued, and I am still grateful to NT Brian "Big Daddy" Douglas for protecting me from getting hit by the rest of the D.
:lol: Sounds like a fun spring. Tell us more !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Spring game is April 3rd at 10. It is open to fans. Capacity is 18%.
MicMan
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:06 pm
MicMan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:08 pm In spring 1981 and RBs injured, the kickers were dragooned into running plays for the 1st team defense. Much hilarity ensued, and I am still grateful to NT Brian "Big Daddy" Douglas for protecting me from getting hit by the rest of the D.
:lol: Sounds like a fun spring. Tell us more !
Talented team that of course went on to stomp LSU. The 1979 Liberty Bowl video played continuously In the Monk Simons players lounge, No game pressure so the spring was less stressful. Well, maybe. I was chatting with Paul Catanese after a practice -- he was covered in bruises and scratches, no red shirt jerseys here. No wonder he didn't last the season. The athleticism was surprising. Made a bet with Reggie Butts he couldn't catch a punt behind his back. I lost, multiple times. I also recall Jerry Baker, the 6-1, 330-pound nose tackle, dunking in an intramural basketball game. He wore eyeglass frames with no lenses as a fashon thing, and kept quarters in his ears "in case I have to make a call." My dorm room was next to Tyrone Smith, we had a shared balcony. One night I was out there with someone, and we saw Tyrone passed out, facedown on the floor from painkillers.

When we got back from the spring game at Slidell High School, (Mayor Webb Hart honorary captain), there was a brown bag in each locker with a baloney sandwich and Coke.

Spare no expense!
Oh Brother
Low Tide

Great stories, thanks
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Great stuff. I can almost see the vintage fashion and good times. Reminds me out of something from “The U” documentary. . . Maybe you guys were slightly more focused on football though ;)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Chip Long speaks
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981