Spring Practice 2021

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Yahhhh We can start talking football again ! Practice starts tmrw !

Top 3 Story Lines:
1) In Pratt we Trust. He must continue to deliver and grow under Chip Long. Let’s have a big passing year and start getting some WR’s & QB talents. Will be nice for Ibieta to get some snaps and it’s time for him to prove himself as well incase of Pratt injury. We are dangerously thin if anything happens to Pratt.

2) Defensive Secondary & New DC. In theory we can only get better, we trust in Fritz to have made a good hire here. We have some good transfers and talent coming back here. Even mediocre play would put us in position to win a lot of games.

3) WR’s ? DL ? Pick your third Story Line. Can Our DL stop teams from running on us with the loss of sample and P Johnson ? Can they get any pressure on the QB ?

Can Our WR Core catch the ball ? Our #1 recruit this signing period was a WR (TJ Huggins). Huggins had offers from Virginia Tech, Michigan State, BC and many Others and is considered a deep threat that can take the top off the defense. We also have all of our “top” receivers coming back and the All American D2 WR transferring in. But Can they catch the ball ?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It will be interesting to see what the new DC does. He was here for all of Fritz' tenure except for last year and now he's brought back. We certainly hopes he works out but there are clearly questions about this move.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
gbgreenie
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:24 pm Yahhhh We can start talking football again ! Practice starts tmrw !

Top 3 Story Lines:
1) In Pratt we Trust. He must continue to deliver and grow under Chip Long. Let’s have a big passing year and start getting some WR’s & QB talents. Will be nice for Ibieta to get some snaps and it’s time for him to prove himself as well incase of Pratt injury. We are dangerously thin if anything happens to Pratt.

2) Defensive Secondary & New DC. In theory we can only get better, we trust in Fritz to have made a good hire here. We have some good transfers and talent coming back here. Even mediocre play would put us in position to win a lot of games.

3) WR’s ? DL ? Pick your third Story Line. Can Our DL stop teams from running on us with the loss of sample and P Johnson ? Can they get any pressure on the QB ?

Can Our WR Core catch the ball ? Our #1 recruit this signing period was a WR (TJ Huggins). Huggins had offers from Virginia Tech, Michigan State, BC and many Others and is considered a deep threat that can take the top off the defense. We also have all of our “top” receivers coming back and the All American D2 WR transferring in. But Can they catch the ball ?
Wow, keep forgetting about Kai Horton, 31 straight wins, 2 Texas State Championships with 86 TD passes in 2 years only 8 int. Both Pratt and Ibieta, will be looking over their shoulders but not for long as they will be trying to ketch up. Horton is much more mobile than Pratt with all the other aptitudes a coach on the playing field as far as his former coach!!! Horton even catches TD passes out the backfield, lol
30-0 career record as a starting QB with two Texas 4A state championships (one D-I, one D-II). Two-sport athlete in football and basketball. District Newcomer of the Year in basketball as a freshman in 2017-18 season.
2020: Led Carthage to a 14-0 record and Texas 4A D-II state championship as a senior.
2019: As a junior, led Carthage to a 16-0 record and Texas 4A D-I state championship in first season as a starter. # 27 Pro QB in the Country by Rivals.

Kai Horton
247 SPORTS Rating: 86
NATL: 1278
PRO: 27
TX: 129

Michael Pratt
As a Prospect
247SPORTS COMPOSITE®: 84.17
NATL.: 1366
PRO; 47
FL: 178
Last edited by gbgreenie on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Hey I hope Kai Horton is the next Ryan Griffin/Shawn King. That would certainly add depth ;) Do we know if he will be here this spring ? Tmrw or Wednesday will give us a full list of who is participating in practice and who got on campus early. I think there was an early list somewhere
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Horton will not be here for the spring.
billow
High Tide

Has anyone notice that Huderson is on Spring Roster
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He went in the transfer portal .He is now listed on the spring roster. That needs to be taken with a grain of salt as there are often mistakes made on it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Today's practice was called off. They will practice tomorrow.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I was wondering why there was zero mention anywhere about the first day of practice ( yesterday the official account mentioned it). I wonder why it was called off ?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Took a quick look at the spring roster:

True Freshman: Michael Lunz (DL - we beat Arkansas for his services). Is that it ? I thought i had read TJ Huggins and Keith Cooper were coming early, but maybe not ?

Super Seniors/Covid Waiver:
So Mykel Jones is back at WR ?

Ajani Kerr Back at DB, as is Kevin Henry & Marvin Moody at LB, Corey Dublin and Jaylen Monroe all extending their careers. Was there anyone else we were hoping to get back ?

It will be interesting to see if Huderson is an error on the roster.

Transfers:
Looks like everyone is here who is supposed to be here: Lance Robinson (CB from Kansas State), Derrion Rakestraw (S From Colorado), Cyron Sutton ( All American D2 WR), Hayden Shook (Juco) and Devin Brumfield ( Colorado RB) also on there.

Its fun seeing all the walk ons attending.
gbgreenie
Surge

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:51 pm Horton will not be here for the spring.

Carthage Top 25 in the Nation with Horton at QB

Horton is a winner has not lost a football game as a Quarterback, can't expects anymore. Anticipation bringing that winning attitude to Green Wave Nation :) :) :)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:58 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:51 pm Horton will not be here for the spring.

Carthage Top 25 in the Nation with Horton at QB

Horton is a winner has not lost a football game as a Quarterback, can't expects anymore. Anticipation bringing that winning attitude to Green Wave Nation :) :) :)
That is impressive. I wish he was in for the spring to compete and get used to the system
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

And if he takes a snap this season, I'll be surprised and the first to admit I'm shocked. I hope he proves me wrong, takes the starting job, and wins his next 30 games as the Tulane QB. That would be amazing for a kid who's only other offers were Stephen F. Austin and McNeese State.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

What was the name of the backup QB who had a similir winning % and run of championship in high school and d2 ? He came in against us and tore us apart, and he was so tiny he had to jump and throw ?

Edit- Chance Lovertich for South Alabama. I remember him almost beating us with Keon as our Qb early in the season. Looks like he just transferred to Miss State to "play" for Mike Leach. Good for him, hope he gets a shot ( doubtful).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:19 pm
And if he takes a snap this season, I'll be surprised and the first to admit I'm shocked. I hope he proves me wrong, takes the starting job, and wins his next 30 games as the Tulane QB. That would be amazing for a kid who's only other offers were Stephen F. Austin and McNeese State.
I wonder how many offers Terry Bradshaw, Brett Favre, Baker Mayfield, Drew Brees, Stan Humphries, Kliff Kingsbury had
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bradshaw was heavily recruited but by his admission he "intentionally flunked the ACT" because he didn't want to go to LSU. That probably scared off others, but there's little records because it was 1965. He was a very well known commodity with the legend including a "Faces in the Crowd" appearance in SI for throwing the javelin a record 245 feet in HS. Favre played for his father who ran a wishbone and only threw the ball 5x/game. Brees had at least one other P5 offer but wasn't by any means heavily recruited. Favre was lucky to has USM offer. Not sure about the others.

Interesting story about Bradshaw: he didn't become a starter until Phil "Roxie" Robertson, the two year starter decided to stop playing. Yes, the guy that invented the Duck Commander duck call and is famous from Duck Dynasty was ahead of him at La Tech. I've also heard that his country bumpkin/town dope persona is an act and that he's intelligent with a sharp wit.

Brees had a knee injury that scared off recruiters his junior year yet still had Missou (where he was followed by Chase Daniel) and Kentucky after him. But it wasn't like they were lining up for Drew.

There's plenty of stories of lightly recruited players or even walk-ons becoming stars. (Golfnut tell us about Mayfield walking on to become the season opening starting QB as a true F at Texas Tech!) I hope Kai Horton joins the list. But there's no guarantee he plays this year, let alone wins the starting job. He's yet to take a snap even in a college practice.
Last edited by DfromCT on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:03 pm Bradshaw was heavily recruited but by his admission he "intentionally flunked the ACT" because he didn't want to go to LSU. That probably scared off others, but there's little records because it was 1965. He was a very well known commodity with the legend including a "Faces in the Crowd" appearance in SI for throwing the javelin a record 245 feet in HS. Favre played for his father who ran a wishbone and only threw the ball 5x/game. Brees had at least one other P5 offer but wasn't by any means heavily recruited. Favre was lucky to has USM offer. Not sure about the others.

Interesting story about Bradshaw: he didn't become a starter until Phil "Roxie" Robertson, the two year starter decided to stop playing. Yes, the guy that invented the Duck Commander duck call and is famous from Duck Dynasty was ahead of him at La Tech. I've also heard that his country bumpkin/town dope persona is an act and that he's intelligent with a sharp wit.

Brees had a knee injury that scared off recruiters his junior year yet still had Missou (where he was followed by Chase Daniel) and Kentucky after him. But it wasn't like they were lining up for Drew.

There's plenty of stories of lightly recruited players or even walk-ons becoming stars. I hope Kai Horton joins the list. But there's no guarantee he plays this year, let alone wins the starting job. He's yet to take a snap even in a college practice.
Heres a very recent QB with virtually no offers...Florida's Kyle Thrask..Houston Baptist thought they had him locked up..he is named after "Kyle Field"..grew up in the stadium..never got an offer from A&M
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I enjoy story time with a beverage
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Also in his replies he lists everyone coming back including merek glover. Looks like 8 Super Seniors/6th year guys. Full list:

Corey Dublin, Marvin Moody, Kevin Henry, Jaylon Monroe, Ajani Kerr, Jaetavian Toles, Mykel Jones, Merek Glover.

A good group. Merek Glover is probably going to win atleast one game for us we would have lost with the frosh kicker.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Bought my season tickets yesterday. I can't wait for fall.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eight seniors take advantage of extra year:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... b2c2a.html
winwave
Top of the WAVE

gbgreenie
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:19 pm
Read up Horton had interest from Houston, Kansas and Colorado but already committed to us. Here are comments from Kansas Website.
KAI HORTON, QUARTERBACK
Kai Horton
2021 QB Kai Horton (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
It's my opinion that one of the most under-recruited players in the state of Texas is Carthage High School three-star quarterback Kai Horton, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound prospect with a stellar 2019 season under his belt. In his first season as a starter, Horton led Carthage to a 16-0 record and the Texas Class 4A Division I state championship, Carthage's seven state title in the past 13 seasons. Horton racked up huge numbers as he threw for 3,741 yards, 49 touchdowns, and only six interceptions. Shockingly, SFA is his only Division I offer to date, though he has gotten interest from schools such as Houston, Louisiana Tech, and North Texas, among others. Horton, who also plays basketball for Carthage, is a strong three-star on the 247Sports rankings, which put him 20th nationally among 2021 pro-style quarterbacks.